HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:32 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
277 Posts
Discussion
Golden Bee plastic backplate

I have just received my Cox Golden Bee Mk II from Cox International.
I'm very happy, brings back lots of memories.
But, the backplate is made out of plastic...
Is it strong enough ? Should I buy an old backplate ? Somebody has some experience with these plastic backplates ?

Thanks for your answers.

-Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2014, 08:50 AM
Joined Feb 2007
277 Posts
Hummm, I think my tread should be moved to the 1/2A forum. How do I proceed ?
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:08 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,822 Posts
The plastic backplate should be fine. I would not worry about it, unless you are having problems, then it is worth a closer look. But otherwise the plastic backplate should not be a problem.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:43 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,323 Posts
Paul, doesn't any BabeBee plate fit?
I thought the tank was only different in length...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old Apr 01, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
The plastic backplate should be fine. I would not worry about it, unless you are having problems, then it is worth a closer look. But otherwise the plastic backplate should not be a problem.
Thanks earlwb for the conforting words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Paul, doesn't any BabeBee plate fit?
I thought the tank was only different in length...
Hi Brian. No, I have a stunt style tank bowl with a fuel inlet and an upside down vent outlet. No inlet/outlet on the backplate. Thats how Cox designed/sold the Golden Bee and the Black Widow.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:24 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
Is it strong enough ? Should I buy an old backplate ? Somebody has some experience with these plastic backplates ?

Thanks for your answers.

-Paul
Don't worry Paul. Plastic backplates were common even before the company was closed. And my experience shows that they behave the same as the good old cast metal one. As a matter of fact, even better. One must just get accustomed to more plastic on everything these days. Even expensive cellphones like the Iphone are made of plastic!!! All this mostly due to try to keep costs down.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Apr 01, 2014, 03:46 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,011 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter whether plastic or metal, the caution is to not torque down on the screws so much that the backplate distorts.
Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2014, 04:13 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
Correct!!! Just don't over tighten the screws or bolts when attaching the engine to the firewall.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 04:36 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post

Thanks for your answers.

-Paul
Don't worry Paul the plastic back plate is actually stronger than the cast metal which was very brittle and would often break even in a minor crash or over tightening.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Don't worry Paul the plastic back plate is actually stronger than the cast metal which was very brittle and would often break even in a minor crash or over tightening.
I must disagree. The plastic is not "stonger" than the metal backplates, but it is more flexible. I have had metal backplates break, I have several in my box-o-parts that are broken, but it is only the mounting lugs that break. So you must decide if "ugly" is good enough, and also if three mounting screws (or two) are enough to hold the engine in place.

Plastic backplates flex which is good for two reasons: 1) they absorb a little shock before breaking, and 2) they seem to have fewer air leaks than metal. That being said, when they break, they REALLY break. I purchased a barely used Black Widow and received it via USPS, all four bolts holding the backplate on were still bolted into the crankcase, but each bolt had a little ring of broken black plastic attached. The backplate minus four "chunks" was floating around in the box. I have absolutely NO IDEA how they could possibly have imparted that much force into the package to bust the backplate free like that.

But metal backplates don't break like that. I buy all the metal backplates and cheap engines I can get my hands on just to obtain the backplates.

Just another 2-cents worth.

Paul
Paul-ie is offline Find More Posts by Paul-ie
Old Apr 01, 2014, 07:28 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,015 Posts
Sorry Paul, but I tend to agree with the fact that plastic is stronger for the abovementioned part. Perhaps giving the word stronger another meaning not necessarily refering to breaking. And you didn't mention the worst weakness of the metal back plate: They always tend to bend rather than break. For example if the four bolts holding the tank together are over tightened, something which was very easy to do accidentally, the metal backplate was deformed thus producing leaks and eventually, cracks. Plastic also deforms but acts differently. Now, I'm sure Cox changed it for plastic, first and foremost due to COST. No doubt cost is perhaps the most important issue when manufacturing. One other part changed to plastic was the reed valve. The originals were copper, the latest ones, plastic. Believe it or not, MUCH stronger than copper AND cheaper to make. I myself wouldn't buy any metal backplates, I prefer the plastic ones. At least is my opinion after tampering with Cox engines for the last 55 years.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
277 Posts
Thanks guys for your thoughts, suggestions and advices.

Oh well, I suppose nothing remains except a wait and see attitude.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:40 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,601 Posts
Paul

Looking at your avatar makes me hungry for some Brie,baguette et Beaujolais
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:35 AM
Joined Feb 2007
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Paul

Looking at your avatar makes me hungry for some Brie,baguette et Beaujolais
Looking at yours makes me think you are not far from being French or Belgium. The Zorglub character is not so common.
In fact I spent a good part of my youth in Calgary not far from where you live, where I discovered aeromodelling.
Today I live near the place where they make the Brie cheese. Nothing beats a piece of Brie on buttered baguette, not even a Big Mac of which I am still a fan. But the best thing here is the mild climate. This is what keeps me from going back to Canada.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 02:04 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,601 Posts
Vancouver is nothing like the rest of Canada, cherry tree started flowering two weeks ago on my street and we had only one day of snow this winter
Got a lot of my BD education here:
http://www.coolfrenchcomics.com/