HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:29 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
4,921 Posts
I made a landing tape!

Now if my landings would just get better!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:42 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
Very cool... maybe if you had your ailerons hinged on the correct side, you'd have better control authority???
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:47 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
Curtis, I have never messed around w/ real flight sim... but I'm going too...very cool. is there a way that you can compete with someone on line?? or is it a solo only type of thing? a on-line contest would be cool for the couch fliers in the winter wonderlands... and I could still munch my chips while I try and KYA!!!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
278 Posts
I know G5 had some combat games you could play online, not sure about the new stuff though.
Speed37 is online now Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Speed37; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:42 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
Thanks Speed...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Should we post critiques on the Field here? Or do you want them PM'd to you?

I figured here might be good so we could all discuss... because maybe I have an issue with something that others dont agree with?

Whatever you want...
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
DeadServo: he's not talkin, still hasn't answered my question yet? check time stamp... better just to ask Speed37... his answers are promt and easy to understand...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:22 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
4,921 Posts
Here is fine by me.

Thanks
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:23 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
4,921 Posts
As far as Multiplayer goes I haven't explored that, but I believe it's a possibility if each persons plane can be spawned to a different landing spot as we'd have to fly Man-on-Man.

One thing at a time. I have a real job and run a small business. All good stuff though. Oh, and most importantly I have a beautiful wife and dog.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:34 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
Is the dog not beautiful? Thanks Curtis ^ nice post about priorities...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Well I loaded up the Thermal Park Third Vector and played around for about 20 min. Its very neat.. I love the plane! And this is Probably more of a personal preference than anything else.. but I modified the SuperGee to have more down elevator when the flaperons are down.. I was having to hold down elevator while slowly cruising around to stop from continuously stalling. So in the Flap/Elev mid I upped the Strength 1 (%) from 100 to 120

- The only other thing I noticed, was with the visual Thermal arrows turned on, the thermals seemed very spotty and random. Maybe I just dont understand how thermals work.. but from the videos I have seen.. they should slowly (or quickly depending on wind) move though the field like hot air balloons and/or columns of air.

With the Arrows turned on.. I dont see any of this sort of motion reflected... I will see 1 or 2 random arrows all of a sudden point up (usually for a few seconds) .. and then they snap back to the wind direction. And no other arrows are seen moving anywhere around... in other words I dont see the thermal moving.. it seems like a small spot of lift appears then vanishes.

I am having a blast messing with this though... dont take my critiques as me not liking it.. I am going back to fly it right now after I hit send.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
IHAVAWDY ... not trying to be sarcastic.. but it sounds like you can answer most of your questions from visiting the RealFlight forums here.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/

Or if I remember right there are realflight forums here on RCGroups.

But I think Curtis is trying to focus on the specific single player DLG level that he is designing. Hence him not answering the Multiplayer questions. I have worked in video games for over 15 years.. and I can understand his focus as its easy to get sidetracked with "feature-creep"... which simply means "new crap added that prolongs the delivery of the final product'

Cheers!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:14 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
4,921 Posts
Quote:
A screenshot from an opening chapter of my Instructional DVD's.

She is fast during agility trials with my wife. It's fun to watch them work!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Curtis, I have never messed around w/ real flight sim... but I'm going too...very cool. is there a way that you can compete with someone on line?? or is it a solo only type of thing? a on-line contest would be cool for the couch fliers in the winter wonderlands... and I could still munch my chips while I try and KYA!!!

IHAVAWDY,

Although I have been unable as of yet to join a MP (Multi Player) via the internet, here are a few things I've understood from others:

The sessions can be public or private (via password).
The speed is dictated by the person with the slowest internet connection.
If you want to see the plane of another pilot, you must have that plane imported into RF on your PC.

In my opinion it should be called Mulit Pilot, but I wasn't asked

And for those who are wondering, I am the modeler who made the SuperGee II for Curtis and the Orca slope soarer by Harley Michaelis.

Happy New Year to you all.
Fly_electric2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly_electric2
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:28 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
Awesome. I'm going to check it out.

I've been fooling with a personally modded version of the "Dave Edit" Fireworks in RF for over a year, and ran into some of the same "issues" you did with the thermal field in RF. Since I don't really know anything about creating models or decent fields, I just altered the airplane settings to significantly reduce the amount of camber in the wing (basically flying in differing amounts of reflex all the time.) I just don't know how to go about making anything from square one.

Hopefully you read my mind and these models and fields address my concerns.

One thing I'd like to see is an "adjustable" discus launch setting for launch altitude.

Even better would be setting a "target altitude" with a variance added. For example, if I typically throw (In RealLife, not RealFlight) in the 140-150 ft range, I could set RF to a 145ft launch target altitude, and it would randomly vary from 145ft by a selectable percentage. Some of the guys I have flown with have amazingly repeatable launches, but I'm large and uncoordinated, so the launch variance in RF would make it more life-like.

Sure, it'd be fun for a dozen throws to crank it up to 500ft, but it'd be better to limit it to 100ft, or some other low number, and force yourself to fly low lift efficiently. Some of you guys may not need that practice, but I sure do.

I get nervous that, in RL, I'm going to stall my DLG from 10 feet up (or even higher) and pile it into the ground. I'm kinda twitchy on the sticks to begin with, and can use all the practice I can get.

I've briefly put up both stock thermal fields and slopes for on-line multiplayer sessions. In a total span of about 6 hours online, I saw only three other pilots, including the that come in with a jet, saw it start rolling down the slope, and bail. One guy flew slope with me for about 10 minutes. We spent another 5 or so chatting about flying. Another guy flew thermals with me for awhile, 30 minutes or so.

If we could somehow set up a "schedule" for on-line flying, we might get more pilots, and it could be a more rewarding experience.

P.S. I DL'ed the Orca as soon as I saw it. I don't have any practical slope experience, and have never flown a wingeron plane, so I can't honestly tell you if it's any good, but it looks fantastic, and I like flying it. Looking forward to flying the SG. Going to DL it now.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti