HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, WA, Twisp
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Careful!
Spektrum RC Equipment

Spektrum Equipment is built on the cheap.

I purchased DX5 and right out of the box the Tx rudder output caused the rudder servo to go to one end point with no stick response. The rudder potentiometer has a poor connection on one terminal. Full rudder deflection on an airplane means disaster.

The only fix is to send it to service for repair because you can't get parts from the dealer to repair it yourself. It is not in warranty and shop would charge more than it is worth.

Anyone have a DX5 for parts? Let me know.

A flyer PM'd me and I am going to get his inop DX5e for parts. Should solve my problem and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.
Hill Top Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hill Top Flyer
Last edited by Hill Top Flyer; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: More information added.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
356 Posts
Betcha a cold one that if you call Horizon's Tech support and explain what the Tx is doing they will replace it free of charge. I just sent a DX6i for an eval./estimate and they sent me a new radio free of charge and it was not under warranty. HH has the best tech./product support in the industry. Good luck
Pilot in MO is online now Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:46 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
I'm missing something. How can it be "right out of the box", and not under warranty?

If you bought it used, you probably found out why it was for sale.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
I just had this happen to me with a DX6i. Spent the better part of Sunday reworking my Trojan as it was getting beat up. After a new fuselage,wing,and cowl took it out and dialed it in. Came home today and no wind so warmed up on the Super cub then brought the Trojan back out. Was on my 4th battery doing a few low flybys and WHAP....Right into the ground at full speed. Checked the monitor on the DX and the elevator is stuck full down and will not release.

My problem is I really like the 6i and don't think I will change companies unless I have the problem again. I keep thinking it could have been worse as I could have had a 500-800 dollar plane in the air and have it happen. Does tick me off that it had to take my ESC out with the crash though....Rebuilding the plane once more I thought would have been enough....On the bright side I am getting much faster putting the thing together! Do they have time-trials somewhere?
t2nohl is offline Find More Posts by t2nohl
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, WA, Twisp
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Hi, This radio system sat on the shelf in my shop for over a year. I have other tx's that I use. When I got around to building a foam wing, I put the DX5e to use and since the wing had elevons, no rudder control was needed/used. When I finished another park flyer, (SE5a) I put the Rcvr in that plane and that is when I discovered the rudder potententiometer had a bad connection and was not to be trusted. (The rudder servo went to one end point and would not respond to the stick movement). SO now you have the rest of the story.
I know the DX5e is a low end radio, and is used for entry level flyers. I would think that Spektrum would want this product to provide good service to a newbie so they would continue to use their brand.
I have used many brands and types of radios since starting RC flying at a young age. My first system was a Babcock tube set, 27 Mhz, single channel, rudder only escapement in a Cub with a .19 Mcoy motor. Went on to World Engines, Hobby Lobby, EK, Kraft, Futaba, Airtronics, and Spektrum. Some of these had problems too. I am no expert here, but I do value a good product that does a good job.
I do like the DX5e for the park flyers. Rcvrs are low cost and small/lightweight. The DX5e does what is needed for that type of flying.
Thank you
Last edited by Hill Top Flyer; Jul 09, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, MI
Joined Sep 2011
3,664 Posts
Snag a turnigy 9x from the hobbyking U.S. warehouse and modify it for dsm2 capabilities and er9x firmware. Under $120 for a radio with $600+ capabilities

My dx6i just feels like junk and thats not a cheap radio..
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
Horizon will honor the warranty, you would be better advised to contact them and explain the problem than to trash them here.

That's assuming you want your radio fixed.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, WA, Twisp
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Hi,

Got a non working DX5e for parts. I'll replace the rudder potentiometer in my DX5e and be good to go.

Thanks
Closed Thread