HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,599 Posts
I have used lawn tractor batteries for years as a power source for starters. They are cheap at Walmart and other battery stores. I did use an old car battery but my source dried up, I moved. But an old car battery will have a ton of umph left in it for starting our little engines. I use a Sully and it really spins up the engine. So that combination has been my standby for years. I admire the newer battery kits for attaching to the starter but they cost a lot more than a lawn tractor battery, so I will stick with that combo.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,262 Posts
I also use a lawn tractor battery, and carry it around in a 6-pak sized cooler. Never a shortage of umph up to 40cc.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,966 Posts
i used a super crank SLA for many years back when i used a flight box. 12v 4ah. always cranked my engines fine. saito 1.20's a 1.50 and a 1.80(30cc). high compression webra 2 stroke 1.20. trimmer & zenoah conversions a long time ago (24-38cc) on the larger end. never had a problem with not turning them over. normally if an engine hydrolocked the hub would just slip & buck off the spinner. not sure if you'd crank something really high compression, or a really big engine like 50cc+.

the way to go is ditch the flightbox & just strap an old lipo to them tho. soooo much lighter than some of the SLA's old guys always use.

people say they use small lead batteries, but you gotta define small first lol. they come in all sizes. you're pretty much looking at a pound per Ah of capacity with small SLA's. there's a big difference in a SMALL SLA that's designed for like... a backup power supply for a home computer. and something that would be OEM spec on an ATV/motorcycle/lawnmower that would weigh 15lbs or more.

walmart is the best place to buy them. mainly because they have a no questions asked return policy that doesn't even require the receipt to the item (worst case theyll scan your driver's license and you can only do that so many times a year)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Feb 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
131 Posts
A company on te West Coast called "PAM" sells a whole range of starters and accessories. Forget about all the others and check out their selection. You will also find an add over in RCUniverse market place were they are selling their products.
flycatch is offline Find More Posts by flycatch
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:23 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
872 Posts
Take your hobbico 90 or 180 and add 2, 3 cell life packs in series (mine are 22 volts fully charged)or equivalent lipo, 5 cell lipo should work and watch that sucker start 30 cc engines. Mine does.

I used these and they are only 2C discharge and they still worked fine. I had them lying around. If I bought the life packs it would have been the bottom ones, higher C rating and a little more mAh rating. Nice to have the portability as well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html

If you order HK packs order this and most of the work is done for you.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10264

Order some of these and when you cut your wire off the starter add the xt-60 and you can still use it if your life/lipo's go flat.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9572

I flip my gassers and for my smaller glow engines I go a couple of weeks before recharging.

I did try it on my DLE 30 and she turned it over with out having to slap at the prop.

When my Hobbico 90 burns out (2 years so far) I'll get the Sullivan and new higher C rated packs to have the perfect starter

And did I say CHEAP!!!!!!!
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Last edited by Mikecam; Feb 23, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
Anyone here remember the old PENFORD electric starter?

Dear Fellow Fuel-Burnin' Mill Fans:

The PIPE Here again-long ago, in the late 1970s, I remember seeing vintage ads in the aeromodeling magazines for what COULD have been the "pioneering" electric starter for the RC flier, produced and sold by a company named Penford.

At the long-existing South Shore RC club field in Bridgewater, MA that I used to belong to, and learned to fly at way back then, there were a number of non-descript-looking 12 volt electric starter setups that had a black-painted electric motor housing, and an "about one inch"-diameter round, "door-bell" like button switch placed on them to get the starter motor spinning, with the housing for the "door-bell" switch having a "silvery", natural-metal appearance. My late RC flight instructor Sammy Frey had one of the old Penfords, that he used to depend on for starting the glow mills in his RC aircraft, and from what I can remember, his Penford starter never missed a spin in getting all of his glow mills going.

Also, the motor for the Penford starter seemed to be almost the exact same size as today's Sullivan S600 starter, without the plastic front & back covers that the modern Sullivan unit has.

Those Penfords from "way-back-when" seem to have been just as durable and maintenance-free as the modern Sullivan units are known to be today, and there could even be a few of the old Penford electric starters in use to this day, something I'd have no doubt of at all.

Just thought I'd mention my memory of the Penford starters I used to see when I got started in the hobby...if anyone's got a scanned copy of an old Penford electric starter ad from "way-back-when" era aeromodeling magazines to share as well, that would be great to see on this thread, too...!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Apr 2009
109 Posts
Just modified my Hobico Torquemaster 180 by adding a plywood plate with a Hobbyking Nanotech 3000mah 4 cell. It cranks my 28cc gas motors like crazy. Blew everything off my workbench! Time will tell how it holds up but for now it works very well and the battery is cheap, like I had 4 already! Very light also. I hated lugging a tractor battery to the field!

Attachment 4656881
REXBIRK is offline Find More Posts by REXBIRK
Last edited by REXBIRK; Feb 16, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:56 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
332 Posts
Rex, that what I`m using for now and then getting something better..thx.
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
965 Posts
My 180 has started my 1.20 2 stroke for years with zero issues, starts a .40 like it was a .049 Cox. I flip start were I can though, most engines .60 and under start for me within ten flips. With .90's and up I dont much care for the kick back and hate chicken sticks.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:30 AM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
Still using a 1979 vintage Sullivan Dynatron , never missed a beat . Have a couple others with built in battery packs and relay switching . No regrets for buying the original rather than an import copy . Also made a few from auto motive and motorcycle starters for friends over the years. All part of the pure enjoyment of RC engineering I guess,
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
i just added LiPo power to my sullivan. woo hoo! that thing would probably start my truck now if i needed.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
i just added LiPo power to my sullivan. woo hoo! that thing would probably start my truck now if i needed.
Wouldn't be surprised Joe ! The new gear reduction automotive starters are often smaller than the Sullivan . The low internal resistance of the LiPo cells coupled with the short power leads makes for a nice package .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:13 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
Mikarro MIGHT not like this video...

Dear Mikarro:

The PIPE Here...somewhere in my "sometimes-random" websurfing I manage to stumble upon what seems to be a PERFECTLY appropriate video for a particular thread here at RCGroups...

Align vs Dynatron Starter (1 min 36 sec)

...and THIS video shown here seems to be a perfect match for what this thread is discussing...the displayed Dynatron starter seems to be a bit better for startin' the heli in this video...

I'd just be concerned about it being able to spin over a sizable FOUR stroke engine instead someday, after I build my own Dynatron from Sullivan's own parts (remember the mention of the plastic starter cone's DRIVE SPLINES a bit earlier in this thread???)

I simply remembered that video, and it easily reinforces my confidence in the Sullivan units' power, and durability!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
the displayed Dynatron starter seems to be a bit better for startin' the heli in this video...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
I simply remembered that video, and it easily reinforces my confidence in the Sullivan units' power, and durability!
have you ever tried ALIGN starter ? have your ever flown an heli, I doubt it...
it's just an humorous video, did you notice that ?
here you are another nice video ALIGN starter + DA 50

Align Super Starter Modelo STQ100 HFSSTQ02 For Airplane - Motor gas DA 50cc (0 min 39 sec)
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,039 Posts
But CAN you power an Align starter with lithium IRON PHOSPHATE cells, hmmm???

Dear Mikarro:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...I'm hoping that you saw my earlier mention of my thinking, in the future, of using A123's latest 2.4 to 2.5 amp-hr capacity lithium iron phosphate cells (a "4S1P" pack of 'em) to power my still QUITE useful Sullivan S600 starter for my four stroke mills?

I'd like to see if the Align starters you seem to like so much, can be run on something ELSE than those all-too-volatile "electrochemical GRENADE" LiPo cells that it seems that they're "designed" to be used with...sorry, but THIS RCer wants NOTHING to do with ANY sort of lithium polymer cell tech, and I am going to stick with a lithium cell technology that has the rugged and durable safety record that only LiFePO4 cells can give this RCer.

Of course, where I AM still unemployed, and have never had lithium cells of any type for the RC hobby, I'm most likely going to have to complete my college degree in business administration (graduating in June 2012) to even have a chance of gettin' back to work of any sort...

...but still, my investment in the hobby is not something I'd be willing to risk to any degree through using "electrochemical grenades" to power ANYTHING I'd want to use in the hobby, so please let me know IF there's any way that an Align starter can be powered with lithium...IRON...PHOSPHATE cells, hmmm?

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Feb 28, 2012 at 06:59 AM.