HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:20 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Build Log
VQ-GLB C-188 AG-Wagon 60-90 ARF USA Version

Fed-ex dropped off my Ag-Wagon today I thought I would do the build thread for it since I havent seen any on this model yet.

A little about me. I am not a professional buildier and do not plan on any real special techniques. If we do anything that differs from the manual, I will try to mention it. I sometimes tend to want to hurry and finish the build because I have more stuff to do than build airplanes, but I will do the best I can at logging the progress.

I plan on using a Saito 91 fourstroker in it. I may add a smoke kit to it eventuallu, but I dont think it will be right away.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Here is a link to the Agwagon at Hobby People

And here is the double boxed packaging.

There was not alot of padding on the insde, but each part was in a plastic bag, and then the bags were taped so that there was no movement of the parts. I did not notice any damage on my initial inspection, so I am thinking it was adequate. Take care in removing the parts thoough. I can see where something could get broken, or cut, removing the tape.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Here are the pics of the inside. The quality of the airframe looks to be better than any ARF that I have seen. Again, I am not that experienced, so your mileage may vary.

The covering is has pros and cons.

Pros:
Looks Great.
Nice panel lines and rivets.

Cons:
Vinyl covered. (Not Mono/ultra coat etc...)
Some looseness on the horizontal Stabilizer
Covering very sticky inside the fuselage between the stringers. (I just worry about it getting grit and grime in there from out rough grass/dirt runway)

Is there anything to pre-treat the inside with that doesnt add weight to keep it from being so sticky in there?
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:05 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Apr 2000
1,396 Posts
Hey Rockin,
Looks like your off to a good start on your thread. Like I mentioned in our PMs, I've also got one these kits. Of course, I didn't luck out on the sweet deal you paid for yours! Its all good though as I think its worth the asking price just be a little different at the flying field.

Unfortunately, I've never taken my parts out of the bag to notice the sticky covering but its very similar to the printed covering Hyperion is using on their ARFs. That being said,I've never notice too much junk sticking to it and I fly off a dirt field. Eventually a fine layer of dust will settle and prevent anything else. I also think the "stickyness" wears off just being exposed to the atmosphere.

If you don't mind I'd like to post a pic or two when I get into mine to add to the thread?

Later,
Mike
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
I dont mind at all....post away my friend, post away.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Build night 1

Step one called for us to put the horizontal stabilizer on. But we decided to put the landing gear on first so that we could set it down on the table if need be.

We ran into a little trouble right away. Not too hard to fix, but set us back a little bit time wise.
1. The gear was too wide to fit in the channel that is on the fuse. Instead of cutting the wood and ruin the covering, we opted to adjust the gear with a band saw and belt sander.
2. The hole on one side of the LG was in the wrong place. At first we enlarged the hole to keep from having to move the blind nut (It is hard to get to) But soon we realized that this was not a good idea as it wouldnt provide much lateral support. So we relocated the blindnut. Turns out that blind nut is stripped anyways. We discovered that as we were trying to pull it into its new location.
3. This was not a problem, only a preference...we put axles on the LF instead of the thin screw axle that was provided. I am sure it is okay, but we had these on hand, and decided to use them.

Once we got that worked out, (Still need to replace the blind nut) we moved on to Step 1, preparing the fuse for the horizontal and vertical stabilizers. We went ahead and put the wings on for a couple reasons...1. So that we could measure the squareness of the horizontal stabilizer. And 2. So that we could get a visual of the the plane. The dry fitting of the horizontal stab revealed that the elevators are slightly too wide. It fits perfectly (touches the fuse...too close for my comfort) but there is also a tail cone that has to go on and at that point, the elevators will need to be trimmed a little. Shouldnt be too much of a problem since the inside is what needs to be trimmed.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined Apr 2000
1,396 Posts
Your build is coming along nicely and your documenting it a lot better than you thought you would. I got some parts in for my engine so after I get a test stand built for it I'll be able to run it and see how it works. Get it tuned and running right then get started on my build.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Thanks Mike.

The next step called for installation of the guide wire/tail wheel assembly. It is not till much later in the instructions that they wany you to put the tail cone on. But we decided to do a trial fit before we mounted the rudder. and elevators. I cut the openings for the tail wheel wire on the bottom and the vertical stab with my dremel. I messed up a little there as you can tell by the pics. Oh Well, still functional.

To get a tight gap on the rudder, you have to cut the slot for the wire, and a little more cut out for the hinge that is also on the wire. And DONT FORGET to put the pushrod on the tail wheel control arm BEFORE you glue on the rudder....ask me how I know.

I also had to trim the inside of the elevators to clear the screws on the tail cone.

We finished off the night by installing the elevator. Note, we pinned the hinges that we installed.

Note, the elevators and rudder were glued from the factory on one side.

Another Note. It appears as if the model was assembled with actual CA, not whatever rubbery glue that other ARF manufacturers use. That is a BIG PLUS, in my book
Last edited by Rockin G; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
I am still awaiting some servos so we skipped ahead and an little bit and only got one step done today. We got the motor mount on and motor mounted. We opted to use the supplied motor mount, so the mounting basically was just as desribed. We did use slightly bigger bolts and blind nuts than what came with the kit though. We used 8-32 instead of the 4mm.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
That is a fine looking model and it is on my wish list.

Could it be possible that even Oracover, Chinakote, Monokote, etc once heated to cover a model remains sticky on the back side?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
No, it is vinyl. No big deal though. The panel lines and rivets and letters are all printed on the vinyl. WAY better than I ever could have done myself.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,396 Posts
I'm not sure its vinyl. I think its a flat Oracover derivative. I remember they used to sell a sticky back version. It used to be sold here under the Ultracote label. It worked very well but was a pain to install. If it stuck to itself you had to start over. Was great for field repairs as you stick a patch on then iron/shrink it in place permanently later. It also came with a paper backing that was great for drawing designs on in pencil so you could erase and modify before cutting out.

I'm pretty positive its the same covering Hyperion is using on all their scale ARFs.

Mike
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Yeah, you may be right. I never dealt with oracover, so I can't say that it isn't. .
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2000
1,396 Posts
I guess I'm beating a dead horse but I just did a search. It was called Ultracote "Plus". The sticky Oracover is called Orastick.

When Horizon Hobby bought the Ultracote line from Carl Goldberg, they discontinued the "Plus".

Looking forward to the maiden. At the rate your going it looks soon!

Mike
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Going to shoot for next Sunday for the maiden...Weather permitting.