HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:02 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,187 Posts
Didnt knew the Carbon Cub.. seems fantastic and has tons of built-in stuff..

tought im a bit scepticall about those flaps in a microplane.. its certainly bigger and i guess heavier than the Champ and im guessing it uses a brushless .. but both the champ and T28 i own float so slow that i dont see any benefict on using flaps.. and any breeze will throw them arround

reading the site i see that yes : 2500Kv 2S...and it weights 90g.. thats more than twice the weight of the Champ.. still dont see if its worth the extra complexity of flaps and their gear.. is still a microplane and even in light breezes it will be thrown arround
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:09 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,476 Posts
Trust the AS3X

I'm on record as an AS3X hater and would love an on/off switch. Credit where it is due though, these little gyros do wonders to let us fly in the wind.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,187 Posts
wait... that thing has built-in gyros too?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:52 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
wait... that thing has built-in gyros too?
UMX Carbon Cub SS with AS3X - which is parkzone's gyro equipped micro receiver. "Artificial Stabilization 3 aXis"

Makes tiny planes handle like much bigger ones in the wind. I am a fan myself.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
UMX Carbon Cub SS with AS3X - which is parkzone's gyro equipped micro receiver. "Artificial Stabilization 3 aXis"

Makes tiny planes handle like much bigger ones in the wind. I am a fan myself.
That changes everything.. with gyros and if they work well and are good dialedin that plane will autobehave much better in wind conditions..

fascinating...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,751 Posts
Quote:
That changes everything.. with gyros and if they work well and are good dialedin that plane will autobehave much better in wind conditions..

fascinating...
It would be a good idea to go read through the main CC thread if you're thinking of blindly jumping into that one
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,476 Posts
Quote:

fascinating...
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
It would be a good idea to go read through the main CC thread if you're thinking of blindly jumping into that one
+1

The CC is far too delicate to be classed as a trainer.

Slight mishaps that the Champ puts up with could easily ruin the Cub...

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
The advice about the CC is dead on. cool little plane but not a second plane or even close to the Champ. Handles wind well, fun to fly but aileron experience is highly recommended to be mastered first on something else. I have an early version, no problems and I still like it. However, I fly my Champ more.... what does that say? She isn't even minor crash friendly. But, if you are good at touch and goes, like scale flight and sport aerobatics, it will put a smile on your face and the flaps really do work.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,411 Posts
I agree 100% the Champ and CC are truly different animals all together!
jwp2 is online now Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:43 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
not at all... i have the Champ and the T-28 for micro-flight ...not planing to get anything else in that size for the time being.. just were saying it was quite interesting..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
not at all... i have the Champ and the T-28 for micro-flight ...not planing to get anything else in that size for the time being.. just were saying it was quite interesting..
Micro flight is such a different distraction. Had the Champ out for two flights today. The batteries in the 34 degree cold don't last nearly as long but the winter sky was clear and blue and even without AS3X the light wind was - playful. Almost took the Ember out but had used up the last charged battery. Had planned to fly all the batteries down to storage but not sure now! Better keep a few charged!
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
488 Posts
The only thing from the LHS I didn't own was an airplane and there is a coupon out there for the Champ that made it $75. So now I have a Champ and I have to say that this little guy is a lot of fun. We flew about 1/2 hour on the first day and then my son hit a fence and snapped off the wing. A little foam safe CA with activator and some packing tape later and this guy was flying like new. Sure the nose is a little pushed in and there was one nose dive right into the ground, but it still works and it looks like I will get a little flying time in tonight too while it is still warm out.

My son like making videos when he tries something new. He rambles a little bit and his flights are short, but he has a lot of fun with RC.

Callum and the Hobby Zone Champ - 1/12/2013 (3 min 33 sec)
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I Finally Flew the Goblin 500
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,751 Posts
Micubano...

I had to look where you are 'cause I thought that was Edmonton. I picked out my city on someone else's flying video last week from the vegetation and style of layout of the park (I work in Parks). Not even close this time!
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,024 Posts
That was an awesome video. Dad and Son having a great experience together. Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:47 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
369 Posts
I just picked up this little plane. Can anyone tell me if the plane is supposed to emit a continuous tone when the battery is connected? None of my other helicopters or my one other plane, make this noise. It binds just fine and does this with all batteries. Just wondering if it is normal.

Thanks!
C6Silver is offline Find More Posts by C6Silver