SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
1855-1921 Naval Fan
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2006
577 Posts
Idea
Thermoelectric Cooling

Just a mad, bad and wild idea, not taking it too seriously though.

Has anyone considered using thermoelectric cooling (the Peltier effect) (also see here too) to cool ESCs? The concept for most is properly so far left of center it's gone full circle and coming back in from the right.

The reason why ask is I saw these Thermoelectric (Peltier) Modules at the local electronics store and the first thing that popped into my head was "hmmm ProBoat ESC".

Another use would be as a transition layer between the heat source and heat sink to produce power, what you'll do with the extra volts grief knows, maybe loop it back and charge the battery via a diode loop and regulator.

Stu
Stu :) is offline Find More Posts by Stu :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,732 Posts
Ok if you have amps to spare the ones I have draw 4 amps, I have a couple of them (out of one of those car coolers) a little smaller than the pro-boat, they get icy cold on one side and burning hot on the other, you need a huge heat sink(8" square with fins) on the hot side to dissipate the heat produced and your esc will have icicles on it. , I saw 785boats water-cooled proboats today, they are elegantly simple and are extremely effective.
I believe that the power produced in reverse is in the milliamp range
I know your only semi serious and I sound a little too serious above I just couldn't think of a humourus answer.
Regards
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
Thermoelectric Cooling

Idea is sound but a few bugs to be ironed out, like all new ideas, some work and some don't!
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Nov 11, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
lets see. Take original/working cooler. Water proof it. Shape to sort of resemble a hull. Get it cold running from vehicle battery. Put battery inside (large cooler) to run motor. Drive it till you see steam coming from heat-sinks. Call it a steamer. If it's large enough, transport beer to deserving observers. Me and Einstein have more in common than just hair and age!
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:36 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Stu, I bought a bunch of those Peltier coolers a while back when I had the same "brainstorm".

Don't bother. The things draw too much current and get blazing hot on one side which will add ambient heat to the inside of your electronics compartment. I was interested in them for FE so the added weight was another debit to using them. But even in a tug where the weight wouldn't matter I don't think they would be worth the bother. A simple water cooling line works better. The ones I tested also did not get freezing cold on one side, they only got "cool".
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:46 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
The boat should be moving in cold water. Best to use this ready supply of coolant should cooling be needed, rather than spend good money buying complications.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:05 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
The boat should be moving in cold water. Best to use this ready supply of coolant should cooling be needed, rather than spend good money buying complications.
in otherwords, keep it simple, and a pipe at the rear of the boat picking up the propwash, and sending it through nylon tubes that link up with a brass tube that is epoxied to the esc, then onto a coil that circles the motor before exiting a the hull is about as simple as it gets.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501