HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:07 PM
Joined Feb 2004
3 Posts
Discussion
Oh Man! Fuel everywhere!

Hi all,
I have a question for yall. I recently bought a Raptor 50 with an OS 50 engine. After assembly and setup I thought Id fire up the engine for the first time. I put about tank of fuel in and opened the needle 2 full turns from closed per OSs instructions. I checked the radio and made sure the stick was at idle. I had low stick set at 15% off the bottom of the curve in hopes that this would be about right for idle. I connected the glow igniter to the remote plug extension and grabbed my starter. This is when I noticed that fuel was pouring out of the engine. I purchased clamps for the fuel lines because I knew about the problem with fuel being siphoned and flooding the engine but this was ridiculous. The fuel was draining out so fast that I could see the level dropping in the main tank. I dont know what to do here. My setup is stock. Is this a common problem with the Raptor 50? What should I do about it?
Thanks in advance.
Chuck
ChuckCLJ is offline Find More Posts by ChuckCLJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:52 PM
Decatur, Al.
Joined Jan 2005
387 Posts
Not a problem. On fueling up, did you use the line going to the muffler? If so you pressurized the tank. I set my HSN to 1.5 turn.
RevGadget is offline Find More Posts by RevGadget
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:20 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2006
16 Posts
Speaking of that, (using the muffler line to the tank).

I had the same exact problem, the sucky directions do not tell you where to fuel, or which line to use.

I have the ThunderTiger kit that comes with the electric fuel pump.

So how do I fuel the copter?
Letum is offline Find More Posts by Letum
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:37 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Remove the line that goes to the carb, then remove the line that goes to the muffler. Hook the fuel pump up to the line you removed from the carb, then fill up the tank. When fuel squirts out the fuel line that was hooked up to the muffler, then the tank is full. Optionaly, you can do this without removing the muffler line if you watch the tank and stop before it is full.

If fuel is squirting out the muffler line before the tank is full, you have the lines mixed up.

To empty the tank, you drain it from the fuel line that is attached to the carb. No need to remove the line from the muffler on this one.

If you have a header tank, it is the exact same thing, except the vent of the header tank is attached to the klunk line of the main tank, and the vent of the main tank is attached to the muffler. You would still fill/drain it from the main line of the header tank, which fills the main tank.
King_Ice_Flash is offline Find More Posts by King_Ice_Flash
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:33 PM
Dickinson, ND
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
One other option is using a three way or T fuel filter and runing a short line down for fueling with a plug in the short line for flight, and a small fuel line clamp while fueling.
haasjj is offline Find More Posts by haasjj
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:15 AM
United States, OH, Trenton
Joined Jan 2006
46 Posts
I have the same question.... Raptor 30 V1, OS 32, I have the header tank and main tank and all the lines are hooked up as they should be. I have a "T" coming from the clunk of the header tank, with a plug on the fill end, and the carb line has a clamp. I clamp the carb line, remove the plug, and fill the tanks full. Then I get to watch god knows how much fuel run out of the carb? Now, I do not remove the muffler line, as I watch the main tank and when it is near full, I stop. What is happening here? And how should I fix it. I am thinking that I might just remove the "T" and use a brass sleeve, that way I can just unplug the carb side and fill the tank, then I know that no fuel is getting past the clamp? I am not sure whatelse to do???? Any further input?
radioflyermk is offline Find More Posts by radioflyermk
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:34 PM
Decatur, Al.
Joined Jan 2005
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyermk
I have the same question.... Raptor 30 V1, OS 32, I have the header tank and main tank and all the lines are hooked up as they should be. I have a "T" coming from the clunk of the header tank, with a plug on the fill end, and the carb line has a clamp. I clamp the carb line, remove the plug, and fill the tanks full.
Disconnect the line going to the carb and see how much fuel is passing by the clamp. The clamp could be too large for the fuel line. "BTDT"
RevGadget is offline Find More Posts by RevGadget
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:45 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
i have heard of the fuel nipple on the muffler being blocked on some mufflers. As you only put half a tank in you probably would not have noticed the fuel tank pressurising.

Ade
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Apr 01, 2006, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4 Posts
I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME ENGINE> Here is what I noticed. I have a caliber 5, which comes with a header tank installed already. Anyway I did the same as you; grabbed starter, igniter, etc.. Then noticed a lake below my heli.

Just for the sake of description I was pumping the gas into the tank through the same gas line that feeds to the engine. But here is what I discovered....The other side of the gas tank (main tank) which connects to the exhaust nipple, was still corked from the factory, it was still full of plastic????
This would explain the problem, because as gas would enter the tank, there was no where for the air in the tank to exit, thus pressurizing the heck out of itself and forcing gas down the engine as soon as I plugged the line in. So I cleared out the nipple (on the gas tank) with a needle and its perfectly fine now. Might be something similar to this, if you haven't already figured it out....
Gobig911 is offline Find More Posts by Gobig911