SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:29 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Discussion
EagleTree GUARDIAN 2D/3D "Do"s & "Don't"s list

First of all - I'm really impressed with the "Guardian Stabilizer" although have been using it for a short time.

12 months back I was interested in Guardian but a clubmate of mine talked me out of it saying "Don't go there, far too complicated to programme it".

Two weeks back, I thought I'll look into it again, risk a model and 55 GBP ($75) Well I can tell you this was the best gamble I took...

Programming may be difficult if you try to follow the EagleTree manual but I've written a "Jargon Buster" version which you can find in my Blog :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...one&starter=no

There are helpful guys in this thread which I also suggest you visit

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644

They will talk you through (metaphorically) and show you how to install and use it successfully in your model.

If you haven't used a Guardian yet then you really don't know what you're missing.

I think I've seen, touched and experienced the FUTURE of RC Flying.

I had similar feeling when I first flew an electric model around quarter of a centuary ago and never regretted since.

Well with this preamble, I thought it would be a good idea to start a Dos & Don'ts compiled list here for the benefit of everyone.

I'd like you to write your actual experience of flying with a Guardian, a virtual "Autopilot".

I'll start and please then add your (on a separate post)

Do

- Wait 15 seconds after switching on a Guardian in your model,

Don't

Toggle the 2D/3D mode switch in your Tx within 15 seconds of powering up a Guardian otherwise you'll inadvertently RESET LEVEL FLIGHT and your model will probably make a nose dive or make a vertical climb on take off.

Over to you guys
CurrentDude is online now Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Last edited by CurrentDude; Aug 31, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
DO specify in the thread title if this thread is about Guardian 2D/3D or the Guardian add-on.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
DO specify in the thread title if this thread is about Guardian 2D/3D or the Guardian add-on.
Done
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined May 2010
1,044 Posts
I always feel they should of had a different name to avoid the confusion.
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Flying 2D mode

Sorry duplicate please see next post
Last edited by CurrentDude; Mar 23, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Flying 2D mode

If you use 2D to maiden, be aware, DON'T ease off on the elevator.

If you do, the plane will immediately tend to level off and frighten the proverbial out of you.

You must maintain up elevator until you reach a safe height.

(quoted from another experienced pilot using G in his plane)

Cheers
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
2D flying hint

Here is another 2D flying hint :

The "level flying attitude" is always a personal choice. Some like it absolutely dead level some prefers it slightly nose up attitude.

Here is another hint from a Guardian user :

This is a good idea to have slightly nose up attitude because it is difficult to get a true pitch level. Having it slightly in a climb attitude gives a better margin for any error, especially if you are doing low passes.

I have been setting mine on the slight or marginal climb lately as well.
When they are set for dead level and flying away from you, you almost get the impression/ illusion that the model is losing altitude slightly.
Last edited by CurrentDude; May 11, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Oct 2008
24 Posts
Question

Eagle tree manual confusing about aileron connection when there are two servos
in a conventional wing. Does one use a "Y" to connect the servos or use a separate extension from each servo?
Set-up help appreciated.

Seawatcher
jjseawatcher is offline Find More Posts by jjseawatcher
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjseawatcher View Post
Eagle tree manual confusing about aileron connection when there are two servos
in a conventional wing. Does one use a "Y" to connect the servos or use a separate extension from each servo?
Set-up help appreciated.

Seawatcher
It really depends on what you want to achieve. If it's simply connecting two separate ailerons then y-lead is sufficient. However, if you want to achieve differential in ailerons then you'll need to connect one lead to differential.

BTW, you're not alone but others have found ET Manual is confusing. I've written a jargon buster version which has received ET's approval or shall I say ET have referred to my version of the manual.

HTH
Cheers
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:14 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
Where is your version CurrentDude?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Using a DX6i w/Guarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDude View Post
First of all - I'm really impressed with the "Guardian Stabilizer" although have been using it for a short time.

12 months back I was interested in Guardian but a clubmate of mine talked me out of it saying "Don't go there, far too complicated to programme it".

Two weeks back, I thought I'll look into it again, risk a model and 55 GBP ($75) Well I can tell you this was the best gamble I took...

Programming may be difficult if you try to follow the EagleTree manual but there are helpful guys in this thread :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644

They will talk you through (metaphorically) and show you how to install and use it successfully in your model.

Programming it isn't difficult. I've written a "Jargon buster" and plain speaking version of the manual for newbies in the above thread.

If you haven't used a Guardian yet then you really don't know what you're missing.

I think I've seen, touched and experienced the FUTURE of RC Flying.

I had similar feeling when I first flew an electric model around quarter of a centuary ago and never regretted since.

Well with this preamble, I thought it would be a good idea to start a Dos & Don'ts compiled list here for the benefit of everyone.

I'd like you to write your actual experience of flying with a Guardian, a virtual "Autopilot".

I'll start and please then add your (on a separate post)

Do

- Wait 15 seconds after switching on a Guardian in your model,

Don't

Toggle the 2D/3D mode switch in your Tx within 15 seconds of powering up a Guardian otherwise you'll inadvertently RESET LEVEL FLIGHT and your model will probably make a nose dive or make a vertical climb on take off.

Over to you guys
My DX6i transmitter/receiver system does not have a 3-position switch, or analog dial switch; just the roll/yaw/pitch/gear/flap channels. I assume flying a non-flap, non-gear plane I could use either the two position flap or gear switch. Question; will toggling the assigned switch go from gyro off to 2-D or 2-D to 3-D?
Thanks for the help. Oh, have not gotten the gyro yet.
Wayne
expplane is offline Find More Posts by expplane
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Where is your version CurrentDude?
My version is shown in my blog :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...one&starter=no

Hope this help
E&OE

Cheer
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by expplane View Post
My DX6i transmitter/receiver system does not have a 3-position switch, or analog dial switch; just the roll/yaw/pitch/gear/flap channels. I assume flying a non-flap, non-gear plane I could use either the two position flap or gear switch. Question; will toggling the assigned switch go from gyro off to 2-D or 2-D to 3-D?
Thanks for the help. Oh, have not gotten the gyro yet.
Wayne
Hi Wayne,
You can leave out gain lead. This means you can use 2D or 3D modes but gain you can only adjust after landing.

Most people use landing gear i.e. ch5 for mode switch.So you can change 2D to 3D during a flight.

As I mentioned, gain switch allows you to make control surfaces more sensitive. So after landing, you can adjust all three axis on the G pots.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers
Old May 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,291 Posts
I didn't like the idea of all 3 modes on one switch so I have 3D and OFF on the gear switch and 2D on the throttle hold switch it took two mixes and some fiddling but from either position on the gear switch throttle hold puts it into 2D. Don't want to accidentally put it into 2d mode near the ground I have seen some nasty vids when 2D is engaged in a low hover.
Gaz-b is online now Find More Posts by Gaz-b
Old May 11, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,923 Posts
^ 2D and 3D has been a contentious issue recently. I've found a solution to this problem as shown in my Blog (click my avatar to see it). ET has recently updated their firmware and manual to overcome this issue.

HTH

Cheers

PS : You can always share your Tx solution her -I'm sure other members wud appreciate it.