HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Discussion
Any info on this engine?

Came across this engine in a box of my dad's stuff from when he was a kid...
I got it running again, and I think I found out which it is, but I am trying to figure out what plane it came in, and then what I can put it in now to have a bit of fun!

I think it's a cox 191-5 product engine, and he says all he remembers is his brother flying the plane once and crashing it, destroying the airframe (the box said it was indestructible! Apparently not )
If anyone has any idea what it was, how common the engine is, etc let me know.
Thanks!

Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,901 Posts
It is indeed a 191-5 from 1976/77 and it was used in the PT-19 of the time:
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
Product Engine .049 (0.8 cm³)

Manufactured between 5/1976 and 9/1977 (#191-5, ECJ #28d)

This engine was equipped with a mesh exhaust screen to prevent painful burns. This was the first solution for people complaining about burning their fingers when priming with too much fuel might have caused a small fireball when they applied power to the glow plug. Another (and maybe more important) effect of the wire screen was to limit power and thus speed, facilitating to fly the C/L models. A small and heavy plastic C/L model with a .049 running at full speed can fly quite fast and is thus difficult to control for the beginner.

This particular engine has probably been used in a PT-19 trainer airplane.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Okay.
I'm thinking of building a Stik type plane to put it in and have a little fun with it this winter.

The spring starter is broken, and the gaskets are toast, plus I'd like one of the integrated fuel tanks.. Are those pretty standard for the cox engines? If I bought one from cox international would it bolt right on, or is the bolt pattern different for the different engines?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Cox .049 191-5 (1 min 21 sec)

There's the video of it running. My tach had low battery, so I think the numbers on it were wrong.
I kept it on the rich side too, just because I don't think it ever really had a chance to be broken in ~40 years ago.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
This engine was equipped with a mesh exhaust screen to prevent painful burns. This was the first solution for people complaining about burning their fingers when priming with too much fuel might have caused a small fireball when they applied power to the glow plug.
This is pretty funny! I started my first .049 at the age of 10 and I never experienced this issue. I have never even heard of anyone having this problem.Also, this is the first one of these screens that I have seen. As a kid I am pretty sure that I would have recognized that this screen (like the muffler on my go-kart) was holding the motor back.

I always used a small dental suringe (the kind with the curved plastic pointy tip) to fuel my .049's and also to prime them.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:37 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Also something else I noticed...it spins clockwise looking from the front. That's backward from any of my other engines....any reason why?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,901 Posts
The end of the video seems to show a pusher prop which would explain the engine having to go CW, Reed valve engines can rotate any direction and Cox had CW andCCW spring starters as well as props for some of their models (Airboats & tether cars). The hole pattern on the back of the crankcase is the same for all .049 Cox reedy so its easy to adapt a babeBee tank to a production engines (CoxInternational has all theses parts)
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Also something else I noticed...it spins clockwise looking from the front. That's backward from any of my other engines....any reason why?
The engine is happy running in either direction. On a controliner, the clockwise prop direction helps torque the airplane to the outside of the circle, giving you more line tension, especially on the take-off.

The easiest tank set-up for this engine is the snap-on helicopter tank. See: http://coxengines.ca/cox-integrated-mini-fuel-tank.html

It's a short run, minute or less. But if you're a beginner, this could be good! You can add a larger, external tank later.
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Nah, I'm fine with more than I minute. I've been flying for a bit. I think the 5 or 8cc babe bee tank will work fine, and I'll build something fast...all my bigger planes are relatively slow- set up for 3d or scale flight...
A mini pylon racer would be a blast!

Also the spring starter is no big deal to me, my electric starter will get it going with a tap to the prop.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,032 Posts
Electric starters and Coxes are not a real good combination....

The crankshaft does not have a trustwasher behind the propdriver, so chances are, after a while the crankpin will touch the backplate.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Okay.
I'm thinking of building a Stik type plane to put it in and have a little fun with it this winter. The spring starter is broken, and the gaskets are toast, plus I'd like one of the integrated fuel tanks.. Are those pretty standard for the cox engines? If I bought one from cox international would it bolt right on, or is the bolt pattern different for the different engines?
A Cox tank will fit the engine. It is a direct bolt on. 8 cc tank gets about a minute's worth more flying than shorter the 5 cc tank. Bernie at Cox International has tank assemblies with gasket and bolts:

http://coxengines.ca/fuel-tanks-lines/ (all tanks)
http://coxengines.ca/8cc-fuel-tank-c...49-engine.html (8 cc tank)

If in good condition, you can reuse your reed valve.

He's also got a replacement starter spring to replace your broken one:

http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-snap-s...g-no-drag.html
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
Electric starters and Coxes are not a real good combination....

The crankshaft does not have a trustwasher behind the propdriver, so chances are, after a while the crankpin will touch the backplate.

Brgds, Bert
Unless you have a BB engine, electric starters are a BAD idea. They are not needed anyway for most engines, especially 1/2As.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
The reed valve engines are easy starting, unless a bad starting battery, bad or dead plug, or they have been exposed to dirt. Then the solution is to disassemble, rinse in a mild solvent, reassemble. The spring starter the Cox's come with are more than adequate. If there is no spring, sometimes they will after a good flip with the finger or chicken stick, run backwards. I usuallly toss a rag into the prop to stop it. I know that some poo poo this idea, but I use the glass filled nylon props, never had a problem. If one has a choke tube like on a Sure Start, simply cover the tube with a finger and engine stops.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper