usbasp 34 57.63%
mySmartUSB light 4 6.78%
USBtiny 8 13.56%
other 2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 19, 2014, 04:54 AM
Joined Nov 2014
5 Posts
I looks like I have run into some other problem. When I make all connections to my KK2.1 board (ESCs and Receiver connections) and power on my board, I don't see any text on LCD. It just lits up and nothing else happens and after few seconds a red LED flashes continuously. Sometimes it slows down but then again it doesn't.

When I connect the board using the USBasp programmer to my computer, the board powers up and I can see text on screen.

Please help!
shekharsuman is offline Find More Posts by shekharsuman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:16 AM
Joined May 2009
779 Posts
Did you possibly plug the ESCs in the wrong way? That's pretty much what happens.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old Nov 19, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Nov 2014
5 Posts
I figured out what was wrong. I followed this post and now my Quad flies great.

But I still don't know why I am not able to flash it with new firmware.
shekharsuman is offline Find More Posts by shekharsuman
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2013
91 Posts
HI, I am trying to build a multiwii3D quad i.e. the motors revers at below mid-stick to allow inverted flight.

I have Afro 30A ESCs, the stock firmware is labelled as afro_nfet.hex.

I am using the kkflashtool and the Afro USB programmer.

I set up the kkflashtool, Afro programmer, correct COM port, atmega-8 brushless ESC (8kb).

Red wire removed, powered by 11.1v lipo.

I downloaded these firmwares: https://github.com/c---/MultiWii3D/t...tgy_2012-09-30

Not knowing which .hex file I should be using, I pointed at the afro2.hex, set running and things STARTED to look ok ..saying Reading | #### ...

But then it seemed to stop and came up with a repeating "timeout" error

I left it for a bit, but ended up unplugging. I have since tried re-flashing with afro_nfet.hex, but it doesn't event try, just get the timeout error ...

Tried plugging into a motor, it makes a beep, but doesn't arm or run.

Have I 'bricked' the ESC?

What can I do to restore it back to health - Help!
multicopterMick is offline Find More Posts by multicopterMick
Old Dec 18, 2014, 02:04 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicopterMick View Post
HI, I am trying to build a multiwii3D quad i.e. the motors revers at below mid-stick to allow inverted flight.

I have Afro 30A ESCs, the stock firmware is labelled as afro_nfet.hex.

I am using the kkflashtool and the Afro USB programmer.

I set up the kkflashtool, Afro programmer, correct COM port, atmega-8 brushless ESC (8kb).

Red wire removed, powered by 11.1v lipo.

I downloaded these firmwares: https://github.com/c---/MultiWii3D/t...tgy_2012-09-30

Not knowing which .hex file I should be using, I pointed at the afro2.hex, set running and things STARTED to look ok ..saying Reading | #### ...

But then it seemed to stop and came up with a repeating "timeout" error

I left it for a bit, but ended up unplugging. I have since tried re-flashing with afro_nfet.hex, but it doesn't event try, just get the timeout error ...

Tried plugging into a motor, it makes a beep, but doesn't arm or run.

Have I 'bricked' the ESC?

What can I do to restore it back to health - Help!
You're going to have to remove the heatshrink and connect up a usbasp programmer to program them from scratch as it sounds like you have no boot loader. Afro2.hex is not the same as afro_nfet.hex.
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:03 AM
Joined Mar 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
You're going to have to remove the heatshrink and connect up a usbasp programmer to program them from scratch as it sounds like you have no boot loader. Afro2.hex is not the same as afro_nfet.hex.
Thanks for the tip, I dusted off my USBasp made the 'worrying' connections and it flashed with afro_nfet.hex OK, so it is 'alive' again and I can flash through the JR connector with the Afro USB programmer. Very grateful for your assistance.

I still don't know what I am supposed to flash my ESCs with to make them 3D reversible though.

Or am I going about this the wrong way thinking I need to have a 3D specific flash on the ESC when I don't i.e. as long as I have the latest afro_nfet.hex then the multiwii control board (3D flashed) will tell the ESCs what to do and the afro_nfet.hex will already understand? There is no 3D specific ESC firmware?
multicopterMick is offline Find More Posts by multicopterMick
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:39 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicopterMick View Post
Thanks for the tip, I dusted off my USBasp made the 'worrying' connections and it flashed with afro_nfet.hex OK, so it is 'alive' again and I can flash through the JR connector with the Afro USB programmer. Very grateful for your assistance.

I still don't know what I am supposed to flash my ESCs with to make them 3D reversible though.

Or am I going about this the wrong way thinking I need to have a 3D specific flash on the ESC when I don't i.e. as long as I have the latest afro_nfet.hex then the multiwii control board (3D flashed) will tell the ESCs what to do and the afro_nfet.hex will already understand? There is no 3D specific ESC firmware?
For safety reasons, the 3D ESC firmware is not in the kkflashtool. The file you require is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=958
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steveis; Dec 19, 2014 at 04:47 AM.