HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
got the motor installed, I noticed though that the fan stick out of the shroud is that normal,
Now I understand , that is the Freewing rotor it should have had its own collar/collet to connect to the shaft on your old motor. As long as the old stock motor was 3mm shaft you can use it on the new motor, just remove the rotor plug on the motor I sent you with either a gear puller or with heat from a lighter (about 20 seconds worth on the aluminum part only) then the plug will expand from the heat and will slip off the motor shaft. For some reason I thought the Stinger came with the EDO rotor and that is the adapter I installed on the motor. My mistake.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Now I understand , that is the Freewing rotor it should have had its own collar/collet to connect to the shaft on your old motor. As long as the old stock motor was 3mm shaft you can use it on the new motor, just remove the rotor plug on the motor I sent you with either a gear puller or with heat from a lighter (about 20 seconds worth on the aluminum part only) then the plug will expand from the heat and will slip off the motor shaft. For some reason I thought the Stinger came with the EDO rotor and that is the adapter I installed on the motor. My mistake.

Don
is it worth doing that or just buying a new rotor? I would hate to rune something i may need in the future.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
The Don's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
Your choice, you can always reinstall the EDO plug with some loctite down the road.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
what is the difference between the hawk edf and the stinger? also can you explain cutting it down to three blades. Can this be done with the stock set up?

Just did my first flight today, have a wicked 4000 in it on stock fan and upgraded esc to a eflite 40a i had around. So thinking of going 4s soon.
Should go really well on 4s Will that 40A ESC be enough for 4s??? ...good to have a little safety margin I think too!

The Stinger stock motor is 2627 4300kv with a 5 blade fan... you can't cut it back to 3 blades because it will be uneven.

The T45 Hawk from HK has a B3830 4300kv as stock motor with a 6 blade fan... which you can cut back to 3 blades if you want higher top end and lower amp draw(longer flight times), this is what I have put in my Stinger on 4s 2650's... for now at least!
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Should go really well on 4s Will that 40A ESC be enough for 4s??? ...good to have a little safety margin I think too!

The Stinger stock motor is 2627 4300kv with a 5 blade fan... you can't cut it back to 3 blades because it will be uneven.

The T45 Hawk from HK has a B3830 4300kv as stock motor with a 6 blade fan... which you can cut back to 3 blades if you want higher top end and lower amp draw(longer flight times), this is what I have put in my Stinger on 4s 2650's... for now at least!
Dave, tempted to buy one of these stinger64's for myself if my 4s 3000's will fit and run the same power combo as my hawk.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:02 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Do it Jim... I'm sure you can handle it, flies pretty straight and true where you point it once it's setup.... that power system would make her boogie! 3000 4s might be a little heavy unless you cut a bit of foam to get it more aft of where mine sits. You can try one of your packs in mine if you like, see if it balances!
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:38 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Sounds like a plan. You heading out for a flight tomorrow?

p.s. Tried the 4s 4000 in the hawk last night although i'm not sure about them. Not sure i like the extra weight.
Flew them back to back with my 4s 3000 and i prefer the flight characteristics with the 3000's.
I'll give them another go in some wind as it was quite calm last night.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
I'll give them another go in some wind as it was quite calm last night.
Have any of you flown this plane with constant winds of 10mph+ yet. With the hour change, flying time has been cut some, and therefore I'm willing to fly in heavier winds. I have a flew 1400mm Warbirds that can handle 15mph wind.
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:40 PM
Registered User
Evan D's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
I have and it handles wind OK.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Have any of you flown this plane with constant winds of 10mph+ yet. With the hour change, flying time has been cut some, and therefore I'm willing to fly in heavier winds. I have a flew 1400mm Warbirds that can handle 15mph wind.
Harold
i flew in about 15mph today it did ok when it gusted in the 20's it didn't have enough umf to get past it. but it tracked really nice.
sorry no camera man just my 808 on my hat.
HK Stinger 64mm (4 min 1 sec)
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:16 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
Can this plane be purchased from the US warehouse?
When I go to the US warehouse, am I still able to use the search function, just for the US warehouse? It seems to take me back to search results from the International warehouse. If this is the case, do I just have to scroll through everything until I find the plane?
On another note... a club member was flying one yesterday in 10mph winds with no trouble at all. It seemed to be able to fly slow as well as fast. Perfect for someone like myself who will make this there first EDF jet.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
we kinda have a new fan candidate..
HET 64mm
http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=282
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
we kinda have a new fan candidate..
HET 64mm
http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=282
looks interesting. do you have any thrust figures for a given motor? eg: with a 2W-18 for instance.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
no.. this is brand new.. but having experience with HET edf units.. I know I pushed their 70mm to the limits.. witha 4130kv hoffman magnetics the beast and 5s
I also know that they come balanced and they compare well to the wemos..their performance fihures are so identical but they work differently. the wemo though always has the edge but it costs far too much..
they don't have the whooshing sound but theyperform real well especially with higher kv motors and also won't give you tons of amp draw.

another plus is that you can find replacement parts.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:44 AM
ballin to keep from stallin ;)
RafterDodger's Avatar
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
Thanks to a great motor from Wicked Don, this baby will haul on a 4S 2200...

This video was from Saturday, on Sunday we clocked it when i flattened it out of a dive over the runway at 106. Thanks for a WICKED setup DON!

Wicked Stinger 64 (2 min 22 sec)
RafterDodger is offline Find More Posts by RafterDodger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New HobbyKing Viper Jet 70mm Fibreglass Jet Jagzilla Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1355 Yesterday 09:12 AM
Discussion Stinger F3B/F3F Vaclavs new weapon! SpeedMaster Multi Task F3X 124 Aug 08, 2013 10:00 PM
For Sale Nib sr71 64 mm ducted fan jet yf22raptor Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 6 Mar 26, 2011 03:28 PM
Discussion HobbyKing EDF 64 Identification liam2317 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 Dec 20, 2009 08:52 AM