SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:54 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
Build Log
Easy build OV-1 Mohawk

I wonder if there is enough interest in seeing a small parkflyer Grumman OV-1 Mohawk?

Started mine yesterday and airframe construction is a breeze. Thought I'd do a build log in case anyone wants to try this. You might call this 'fun scale' building.

Technically, it's a box profile fuselage. All you really need for plans is a good 3-view off the internet. I enlarged mine to a wingspan of 44 inches. I think the fuselage wound up 37.25 inches long.

My build material is a lightweight acid free foam core board used in picture framing, but this could just as well be done in depron. It's paper covered so it takes to wood glue or white glue just fine. Spraypaint is fine too!

She will be hand launched with no landing gear. 4 servos total in the airframe.
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:58 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
OK, now for the 'easy build' part.

Just 4 pieces make the fuselage. I pinched the tail making the fuselage about 2-3 inches wide at the nose.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:45 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
922 Posts
I'm a fan of these the simple build styles and really like what you have started here. I'll be watching your progress. Do you intend to install the triple tail arrangement at some point, or keep it simple with a single?
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:03 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin' roller View Post
I'm a fan of these the simple build styles and really like what you have started here. I'll be watching your progress. Do you intend to install the triple tail arrangement at some point, or keep it simple with a single?
Oh yes, I'll be doing the whole tail. I just need to wait until the elevators are installed and I'm using a common "U" bar of thick music wire to link them. I need epoxy for that so in the meantime, I'm moving on with the rest of the build.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:05 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
Here you can see how I'm using 1/2-inch expanded foam to create the bubble-window effect on the fuselage. It can ALMOST trick the eye into thinking you are looking at a full fuselage.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:05 AM
Joined Nov 2004
41 Posts
Suscribe!
enriqueigl is offline Find More Posts by enriqueigl
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:23 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,765 Posts
subscribed
IWC is online now Find More Posts by IWC
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:12 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
Construction of the wings. Also super simple with foam board spars and no formers.

Joining spar is a chevron or thin lightweight plywood.

RCHotdeals informs me that my servos and extension wires were shipped out this morning.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:19 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,227 Posts
Cool looking plane. I'll be following this build. Good luck!

-Andres
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:49 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
Thanks, Andres!

More work from Friday. The expanded foam must be painted with a foam/spray safe paint before I can paint the whole thing with spraypaint. I use acrylic like artists use on canvas.

I also added the outside vertical tail fins, so we can truly see the familiar Mohawk shape!

Finally, I installed the motors and wires which were yanked out of a previous project. A pair of HK 2500kv outrunners. Power will come from a 1320 3S lipo.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:48 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,093 Posts
I sent my request for decal printing to Callie Graphics tonight. With any luck they'll get some decals off to me by Wednesday.

I got the servos today and installed the aileron servos already. Due to balancing the aircraft with just a small 1320 3S lipo, I am having to put elevator and rudder servos all the way up at the wing and run the push rods back to the tail. Once the servos are all installed and linked, I recon it's time to paint!