SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:39 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamich View Post
SWR value of zero is ideal. The value is inverted - ie bad antenna - high SWR.

Very true, but the other post mentioned running without any antenna at all, that can't possibly be zero SWR... Or 1:1 if we want to be technical.. Most of the power would reflect in that case, wouldn't it?
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM
United States, CA, Galt
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Very true, but the other post mentioned running without any antenna at all, that can't possibly be zero SWR... Or 1:1 if we want to be technical.. Most of the power would reflect in that case, wouldn't it?
here a few things to consider, from the looks of the RF output circuit on the taranis,
it appears to use a directional coupler to monitor SWR, and their probably using
diodes as detectors. Sense my transmitter is only putting out approx. 4mw of
power, removing the antenna will not harm the output PA stage, and because the
output power is so low, the SWR bridge will not function at all.

The important issue is this,

I did a range test and i had a good distance, about 40 meters. but my 250 quad
at 300ft my RSSI was hitting 50.
I did the antenna mod so i could test the output level and see if the SWR function works.

I also found another problem with my Taranis, I attached a picture, looks like they forget to solder a bunch of pins at the factory. I did solder them, no difference.
hdphil is offline Find More Posts by hdphil
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdphil View Post
I also found another problem with my Taranis, I attached a picture, looks like they forget to solder a bunch of pins at the factory. I did solder them, no difference.
They are only there for additional support.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2014
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdphil View Post
What a strange remark for someone that seems to know what he's doing.
This is not ment to be offensive, I honestly don't understand it as almost all PCB's have these.
frater is offline Find More Posts by frater
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
United States, CA, Galt
Joined Mar 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
What a strange remark for someone that seems to know what he's doing.
This is not ment to be offensive, I honestly don't understand it as almost all PCB's have these
I looked a some other peoples TX pcb's to see if they have been soldered, which they were, knowing mine has a range issue, it made me wonder.

I ended up ordering a new Rf backboard from aloft hobbies, which i don't mind, (going to add the haptic motor while i have it apart)

could it be a software Problem? maybe it's putting out the correct power, is the software corrupt?

I do like my Taranis, and if need be, I'll get another if i have too....
hdphil is offline Find More Posts by hdphil
Last edited by hdphil; Yesterday at 09:25 PM.