SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,197 Posts
Newguy, If you bought the ARF from NP and ordered batteries from the same source, most likely you don't need to solder anything. When I ordered a Yak 54 ARF, the ESC came with 3.5mm bullet connectors on the motor side, and 4mm bullet connectors on the power side. All NP's lipos come with 4mm bullet connector, they call it "banana connector".

As for the live hinges, my experience was the aileron hinge were really tie,that put a lot of load on the servos. I had to bend the ailerons back and forth 30+ times to get them loosen up. The other hinges are fragile. I put a thin layer of welder glue on all hinges (go to Youtube and search for "how to make welder hinge") and they held up well in hundreds of 3D flights. Tape will not stick to EPP well, so welder (or GOOP glue) is the way to go.

I think TechOne's 3D planes are what really earn all the raves. You might want to try one next time. enjoy!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
thank you sir! and I have veiwed the video for the welder hinges, I think it was somewhere on RC groups! thanks for the tip and the info on the batteries!

keep em coming

I will consider a 3D plane next time, though right now money is tight and Christmas is coming!!
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:18 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Newguy, If you bought the ARF from NP and ordered batteries from the same source, most likely you don't need to solder anything. When I ordered a Yak 54 ARF, the ESC came with 3.5mm bullet connectors on the motor side, and 4mm bullet connectors on the power side. All NP's lipos come with 4mm bullet connector, they call it "banana connector".

As for the live hinges, my experience was the aileron hinge were really tie,that put a lot of load on the servos. I had to bend the ailerons back and forth 30+ times to get them loosen up. The other hinges are fragile. I put a thin layer of welder glue on all hinges (go to Youtube and search for "how to make welder hinge") and they held up well in hundreds of 3D flights. Tape will not stick to EPP well, so welder (or GOOP glue) is the way to go.

I think TechOne's 3D planes are what really earn all the raves. You might want to try one next time. enjoy!
is GOOP adequate for putting this bird together? Welder glue was not available

thanks!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,197 Posts
Yes, it will work.

I bought the blue color "Amazing Goop" from Lowes. It drys faster than Welders though.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:22 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
ok thanks for the help, it apparently is sitting on my front doorstep waiting for me to come home!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
it's here!! took everything out and inventoried it- hoping to start on it once the monsters are in bed!!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:49 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
got her put together last night! pretty simple, there is a few things that have to be interpreted/ guessed so we will see the weather here is crappy so it may be a few days before the first voyage/crash! we will see

thanks everyone who gave me tips and help it is much appreciated!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Hi jason newguy, hope flying will go well. What Vince said about techone 3D planes is spot on, they fly so slowly you can develop the reflexes required. The P51 will not fly like that, it's just an interesting diversion for those warbird nuts. Littie easier build than the 3D ones IMO. If it's not as relaxing as you would hope, definitely go something slower. Hey Spirit drivers, do any of you prefer the 3s pack options? I 've been doing the 2s gig and would like a little more. Dan
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,197 Posts
Don't know about the Spirit, but I did try 3s 450 on my Paluma, way too powerful and torn the upper wing. That 3 mins flight was a lot of fun for sure.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:00 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
yup we crashed, but we had fun (my 4 yr old and I) got up 4 times came down the same, still trimming her out, so far so good, I am thinking you are right Dr Dan I need a 500 mah batt slow and easy is the way to go!!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Easy on the throws... if not already set low... aerobatics will come later! Most common mistakes I see from nu-b's are wrong c.g., too much throw and just too dang fast and maneuverable for developing reflexes. You got the right attitude though. I'm thinking things are happening pretty fast for you in the air with this warbird style plane, but you knew that, right? Keep us posted, it"s all fun...
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:49 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
where do you suggest the CG be?

have had limited sucess but I will keep trying I set her up with limited throws and I am taking it easy on the stick inputs, not banging sticks. the nose of this girl seems weak but GOOP and epoxy are my friends!! and shoot for $40 I can get a whole airframe. so if I thrash this one and transplant the guts into another no big deal!!

J
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
I also learned a lesson on this -
had a dead servo right out of the box but I didn't find it until it was completley assembled!!! and it had to be the aileron servo!

lesson learned - check and zero all the servoes before assembly!!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,197 Posts
If the manu did not recommend the CG location, I would start from 1/4 the depth of the wing at the wing root from the leading edge, and then move it back to where I felt most comfortable. Normally will be around 1/3 of the depth from the LE on warbirds.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
thanks!!