Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by No Step
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
Build Log
Scale Build-Off 4 - Airtractor 502.

EDIT: I'm entering this model in the RCG Scale Build-Off. It should be fun.

I don't know why I'm starting this thread so soon. It's sort of an outlet for me I guess. Crop duster s catch my eye. Long ago as an early teen I dreamed of a career path that would lead me to being a crop duster pilot. Maybe that's where this is all coming from. 10 years ago I designed and built an 80" Piper Brave crop duster. That one still flies in my regular rotation. About 7 years ago I was driving on an eastern Washington backroad when I saw an Airtractor 602 parked at an old dirt runway. She was beautiful. She was huge! I knew I wanted to build one. But I had just finished my Piper Brave. Maybe later. I walked up to her, close, but not so close as to attract attention of anyone. We were alone, just her and I. I took lots of pictures. I wanted to touch her but I was respectful and kept my distance. Unfortunately I lost the pictures. But I'm always watching for her again.

Flash forward,..... I recently bumped onto a video of an Airtractor 502. It was like throwing gas on a fire. It re-ignited my infatuation with the airplane. I gotta build it. But I already have a Piper Brave crop duster. Who really cares! She's been good to me, but she has a lot of time on her. I build better now. I fly better now. So I fired up my AutoCAD LT and started drawing. I've got a 3 view drawn, ready to start adding structure details. I usually do not drag my feet,... I draw, I build, I fly. We'll see how far this gets. Until then this will be a Discussion Thread. If I finish the drawings, I'll change it to a build thread. But right now, I'm planning to go all the way with her. I'll have my Airtractor.

OH, here's that video: The music is perfect. If you don't tap your feet and bob your head while watching, you just don't get it.
Air Tractor 502 the best crop duster flying you will ever see guaranteed (2 min 48 sec)

Fred
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,657 Posts
What size we talking here?
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 06, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
I'm thinking 80"ws, but subject to change. I'd like to keep it 4s4000, but willing to go 5s4000 and a little larger ws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2014, 08:01 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,657 Posts
That sounds reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good!
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,034 Posts
52 foot wingspan?? I had no idea! This ain't no Pah-NEE we're talkin' here. This is like a turboprop commuterliner-size airframe. I can see why you were so impressed standing there next to this big machine! Man, a quarter-scale version would top twelve feet span, and probably require a DA85 at a minimum (with the cylinder hanging out the chin like a big wart).

Sounds like you are targeting a roughly 1/7th-scale size, which would make for a very manageable model, and allow for 4s packs. Good choice. Go, Fred, go!
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Oct 07, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
Oh Yeah! And the AT 802 has a 59' ws. And tell me that 5 bladed prop isn't just too cool!

This interesting note right from Airtractor's web site,.......

The AT-802/802A is the world's largest single engine aircraft, and its popularity reflects the industry's trend to larger, high-production turbine equipment. With a payload of 9,249 lbs, the AT-802A provides more working capacity than any other single-engine ag plane.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Oct 07, 2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by ps2727
Joined Nov 2004
245 Posts
Nice project! My son interned there as an engineering student and loved the place.
Mr Snow was a class act!
Paul
ps2727 is offline Find More Posts by ps2727
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:05 AM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
Ugh! The three view above is obviously informational use only. It is not useable for scaling a model without tweaking. The fuselage is longer in the side view that it is in plan view. I didn't catch it until a good deal of drawing was done.
This model is going to be built light. I will not try to reproduce the all sheet metal fuselage sides and wings with sheet balsa. And the aileron/flap hanging hinges on bottom of the wing are not going to work for me. I have a hard enough time preventing hanger rash as it is without those hanging down. Besides, being tough to build. And definitely no spray bars. But it is going to look real good.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Oct 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by maxxnut
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,241 Posts
too bad you lost the pictures, if you had the "N" number, you could find it on the web.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
It was located just outside Dayton, WA. at a crop dust strip. I check it out every time I drive out that way. But I'm sure it's not hangered there,.. no hangers. A plane like that could be anywhere in the tri-state area at any one time. ,... I bet,... must work to make payments 8-). I always watch for her,... someday "we" will reunite. Or maybe she has a sister? 8-)

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by maxxnut
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,241 Posts
Pick a phone number for a farmer in Dayton, and ask who does the crop dusting, then call them and try to fish for the plane.or pilot... networking and the "endless chain"
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Oct 11, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
I found a better 3-view. At least on this one all three views are equal in scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step View Post
Oh Yeah! And the AT 802 has a 59' ws. And tell me that 5 bladed prop isn't just too cool!

This interesting note right from Airtractor's web site,.......

The AT-802/802A is the world's largest single engine aircraft, and its popularity reflects the industry's trend to larger, high-production turbine equipment. With a payload of 9,249 lbs, the AT-802A provides more working capacity than any other single-engine ag plane.
They are HUGE. Even sitting next to a 727 or C130. There used to be a couple at the government ramp at the airport. And, yes, one was painted a flat grey color. Never knew what they were used for. Saw the pair making low passes at White Sands Missile Range a couple years ago.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2003
4,107 Posts
It's a warplane / military "utility plane"
http://www.802u.com Be sure to check out the Photo tab.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2014, 07:25 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,657 Posts
Air Tractor makes a version that can carry guns and has hardpoints for other various nasty things. Have a friend that flew both radial and turbine Air Tractors for years.