HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:40 PM
Arch Angel Aries 7
United States, IL, Romeoville
Joined May 2013
93 Posts
Thank you I'll try all three methods. Gorilla glue, uhu por, and 3m 77. And I'll see what works best for me. I focus more on quality than speed. I have a flitetest f22 built just needs electronics
shadowariez is offline Find More Posts by shadowariez
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2014, 05:02 AM
What goes up...
United Kingdom, England, Newcastle upon Tyne
Joined Aug 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowariez View Post
Twisted do you have the redesigned plans for yours?
Yes and no.... Got the parts layout printed at 150% in 2 pieces due to roll width at printers (easier than taping umpteen A4 sheets together) and kinda drew on the layout the mods old school style, set square and pencil. I did use a 3 view and CAD package to determine distances and work out some templates. I've attached the CAD file, its more of a working doodle pad with measurements taken as I needed than a bonafide cutting list, though the wingribs and outline are still there. The scale 1:12.72 refers to scale from full size aircraft not Steve's plans, so you can take measurements for a 150% Steve model directly from the CAD data, If you are building a 100% size Steve model, scale the entire CAD drawing to a factor of 0.6667 to get back to a 30" span for direct measurements.
For a free CAD package go to http://http://www.solidsolutions.co....D/default.aspx
Its completely free, not a time limited trial, comes from Dassault and works the same as AutoCAD. If you are a CAD novice it has good tutorials to get you up and running. I use it anytime I need an accurate template creating for cutting.
Oh and if you are doing a built up wing, you will need to enlarge the pieces for blending the wing to fuselage back as far as the carbon spar and add a couple of extra layers, doing it this way will be easier than tailoring add ins like I did.
Twisted Wings is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Wings
Last edited by Twisted Wings; Apr 26, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old May 05, 2014, 02:33 PM
What goes up...
Joined Aug 2012
110 Posts
Fibreglassed and filled, just needs a coat of wbpu to seal the filler before painting. Anyone had any experience airbrushing wbpu (to avoid brushmarks)?
Old May 05, 2014, 02:49 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Wings View Post
Fibreglassed and filled, just needs a coat of wbpu to seal the filler before painting. Anyone had any experience airbrushing wbpu (to avoid brushmarks)?
No... never tried airburshing wbpu. The hardware store around here started carrying rattle cans of wbpu though. Would probably work well, but I would still probably end up sanding/wet-sanding before primer.
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old May 06, 2014, 07:33 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
Would probably work well, but I would still probably end up sanding/wet-sanding before primer.
This.

I would just apply a light coat and give it a light sand with some 400-600 grit. I've I saved the WBPU/Baby Powder coat for last and after sanding, it gave a really nice base for the primer.
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 06, 2014, 05:27 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
I've sprayed it before, works great. Thin with windex (ignore the blue colour, it goes away).
You can also add acrylic paint to the mix to give it some colour. It ends up needing a few more coats than normal to build opacity as the WBPU takes up a lot of space, but the result is a very thick and tough colour coat.
Ideal for the bottom of the nacelles, as scratches don't get rid of all the colour immediately.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old May 09, 2014, 04:45 PM
What goes up...
Joined Aug 2012
110 Posts
Cheers for the feedback guys, thoughg ended up playing it safe regarding gumming up an airbrush and brushed the wbpu on...more sanding...
Sent my decals off to a vinyl printers and been mucking about with louvre details for the nacelles. The files are for 150% size, so if any one wants to use them for a standard size print at 66.7%.
Old May 09, 2014, 09:11 PM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
698 Posts
i thought it was pics of how yours turned out i can't wait to see how your Su-35 looks!
Su-33 is offline Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv
Old May 10, 2014, 03:44 AM
What goes up...
Joined Aug 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-33 View Post
i thought it was pics of how yours turned out i can't wait to see how your Su-35 looks!
Sorry for the false expectation...

Though the pics are what I'm hoping to emulate with paint. Is your balck depron plane still flying? any closer to mk2 with thrust vectoring?
Old May 10, 2014, 03:51 AM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
698 Posts
right now it does not have electronics.. using it on another plane.. i don't have enough money yet to make mk2 yet some day, some day...
Su-33 is offline Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv
Old May 18, 2014, 09:31 AM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Here's my fully glassed 120% version of Steve Shumate's wonderful recreation of the Sukhoi SU-37 Terminator/Super Flanker. Features full Taileron, Flaperon, Rudder and Canard foreplane setup for 'Pitch' and holds up for 'Alpha'.

Very happy with it as it's my first real go at fibreglass (but unhappy I learnt halfway you could get epoxy thinners.... oh well, something for the next one). Flies really really well, am now finishing off in modern military scheme, and making weapons (fake) too. Made a 'jamming pod' to use as a grip in the middle rather than throwing it off one side.

Engine: Turnigy G10 1200Kv 691W. 49A.
Lipo Battery: 14.8v 2200mah 35-70c
ESC: Robotbird 60amp
Prop: APC 10x6
Length: 1.26m / 4ft 2"
Width: 0.94m / 3ft1"
Weight 1.7kg (loaded) 1.2kg (dry)
Thrust 1.8kg - 2.0kg.

and an eh hem.... as much as I've already bought the same paints for scheme as mr twisted wings..... his version (and true version) is simply p&#sing all over my build not that it's a competition, more of a learning of each other site.... which is nice .... but blooming marvellous build sir!!!

Anyway... Enjoy vids of first 2 maidens, and control test and also some pictures of build along the way.

Sukhoi SU-37 Controls Test (0 min 52 sec)

Sukhoi SU-37 Terminator - 120% Maiden (6 min 17 sec)
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator
Old May 18, 2014, 11:50 AM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,927 Posts
Great job bannistator! That's definitely something to be proud of!
T3chDad is offline Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old May 18, 2014, 04:35 PM
What goes up...
Joined Aug 2012
110 Posts
[ATTACH]Attachment 6777590[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannistator View Post
and an eh hem.... as much as I've already bought the same paints for scheme as mr twisted wings..... his version (and true version) is simply p&#sing all over my build not that it's a competition, more of a learning of each other site.... which is nice .... but blooming marvellous build sir!!!
Nice build...glad I'm not the only follower of Paris fashion!
What paints you gone for? I've found out the hard way enamal over wbpu isn't a good choice, though as you've gone epoxy you won't have the same trouble!!
Got the main colours sprayed on, working on nacelle metals now, and need some feedback back from where my decals are from the vinyl printing company....
The paints I've used, including the mix recipe for the duck egg blue are as follows:-
Underside
Duck egg blue mix:-
Humbrol L. Blue M44 10ml
Humbrol Satin White S130 20ml
Revell L. Green M155 2.5ml

Topside
Revell Tank Grey M78

Radomes & Inlet Inners
Humbrol L.Aircraft Grey S166

Engine covers and Elevons
Revell Steel Met.91

Added some detail templates for louvres and exhausts.
Last edited by Twisted Wings; May 18, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old May 18, 2014, 07:33 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
977 Posts
Great looking bird bannistator!

I really like the Jamming pod grip. Might have to steal that :-)
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old May 19, 2014, 12:04 PM
Twisted Bannistator
Bromley, Kent, UK
Joined May 2009
128 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah am pretty proud of her other than my fibreglass work, especially on the top side... it works, but I just have quite a few epoxy lumps, pinholes, molehills, and possible volcanos... but sanding the bitch out of them has helped a smidge. So yeah leads me onto the paint again... As I had this issue, the dream build was no more in terms of looks... Got the performance and structure I wanted but not finish, so an elaborate urban camo or tan camo (711) was going to be used. Now just going for the following of which realised I've buggered up (again) whilst taking the photo below (blue is gloss not matt/satin..... oops)

Twist: I use some weird acrylic wall undercoat to prime, and then all revel acrylic aqua colour. Mainly because it's easy to clean and use, but I've only just come out of the habbit of foam only with a bit of filler. Have gone for

05 - Matt white
06 - Tar black
50 - Light blue (gloss eh hem... but I got to play with it anyway to lighten)

All the hardware and other colours sound similar to yours in terms of shades and also whether I varnish over the top once finished is another question to be stumbled across.

Wilm: By all means steal the idea and anyone else for that matter. I believe it was your video and the total write off of my last suki of the engine nacelle launch sideways spinny method.... eek!!! As soon as I saw the loadout (attached).... I thought well there's something in the middle to grab hold of! A Knirti SAP 14 infact

Nearly at priming stage!!! Thanks again

Mike
bannistator is offline Find More Posts by bannistator