HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2005, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
Help!!! Hacker X-20 brushless speed controller problems

Hi all,

New to Electric flight.

I purchased a Hacker A20-22L motor and X-20 controller.

On connection to a 900 mAh Li-Poly battery, the battery swelled within 15 seconds. both Speed controller and battery were blistering hot!!!

Is the controller fried? What could have happened?

The polarity on the battery supply was 100% correct.

Ideas anyone?

David
DrSpock is offline Find More Posts by DrSpock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
No one has any idea?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:09 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,270 Posts
Was the motor running at the time? Need more info on how it happened.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jul 13, 2005, 01:43 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
The most likely situation is one you ruled out by saying "the battery polarity was 100% correct". What sort of connectors between the battery and ESC? It is physically possible to have Powerpoles hooked up backward, and there are two ways to wire the mini-Deans types so that even though you can't plug 'em in backwards, you CAN wire 'em so that when you do plug them together things are backward.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 13, 2005, 03:48 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
That could have happened if the polarity was incorrect. If you had plugged it in, set the Tx to full throttle and the motor didn't do anything, it's vaguely possible that the motor leads are shorted somehow ....

But like Scaledown said, we need more info ....
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Last edited by Hogster; Jul 13, 2005 at 03:56 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:32 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
A close up photo of the components wired up as they were may help. Except the battery which you leave disconnected of course.

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Jul 13, 2005, 02:49 PM
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
Thanks for the help all.

More info:

1) When first connected, the servos worked fine, but the motor would not spin. After a few minutes the first battery became very hot. I disconnected it.

2) When I wired the second battery, within 15 seconds, the thing was swelling and smoking hot.

3) Red with Red lead. Black with Black lead. Im not sure the connect name, but they are bayonnet type (similar to that on the typical brushless motor.)

I purchased another ESC yesterday, and wired it up. Everything worked fine, quite surprised by the thrust that little motor puts out!!!

I suspect the ESC shorted somehow, thus killing the first and second batteries.

Thanks all

David
Old Jul 13, 2005, 04:05 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Now that is odd .... the fact that the servos worked eliminates polarity reversal as the cause of the hot battery - the BEC wouldn't have worked had the polarity been incorrect.

As you say, it sounds like something was shorted inside the ESC - especially as the new one worked straight away.

Shame it wasted two of your LiPoly packs in the process ...

Glad things are working now, and yup, brushless motors do generate an awful lot of thrust!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:47 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
Sounds like shorted power Mosfets in the ESC. If the ESC is new could be warranty job.

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:46 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,643 Posts
Wait a minute--did I read 900 mah battery? Can that handle a hacker A20? I use an Apogee 1570 rated to 10-15C and it gets plenty warm after flying hard. -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:05 AM
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
The problem was, the motor never did turn when attached to the ESC.

Thanks

David
Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:16 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Presumably you tried moving the throttle stick on your Tx? If there was a short inside the ESC, moving the throttle would pass huge currents through the ESC, and likewise through the battery. Was the ESC hot when the battery started swelling?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 07:52 PM
Joined Jul 2005
10 Posts
Had the first flight today! On a 7 V LiPoly battery, the Ascent glider climbed out at 30 - 40 degrees!!! Incredible!!!

Love the performance and lack of noise.

Thanks for the help guys

David
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:26 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,643 Posts
Sounds like you are in business! I didn't know you would be using a 2 cell lithium when I commented the 900ma battery might be too small. A 3 cell would have about twice the amp draw according the the factory charts.
I have two hackers and they are awesome. -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin