HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Apprentice S 15e WONDERMENT

Now hears a good one, anyone have an explanation? I have S15e I have been flying for a while with no problems other than typical pilot error's. Last Sunday after church my friend, another S15e pilot were spending the evening flying as we do every week. I had flown a couple of batteries dead and had just put in a freshly charged battery. After take off I decided to do a little up side flying. After making a few upside flights I righted the plane but was not able to control it. The plane started porpoising. I could hear and see the rudder and elevator flutter when the plane nosed down. I cut power hoping to be able to regain control and make some kind of safe landing. Since I could not control the plane I was hoping upon retrieval of the plane there would not be much damage. After finding the plane I started looking for damage. The motor mount and the prop spinner were broken but other than that the plane was all right.
When I picked the plane up I happened to see something I cannot explain. The clevis on the rudder and elevator control horns were off. I thought it had broken the clevis pin but the rubber tubing was still in place on both clevis's and the pins were not broken. Both control horns were not broken either as if they had never been hooked up. I knew this was not possible because I had just finished flying the plane and the only reason I had landed it was for a fresh battery.
I have searched and searched for answers as to how the clevis's could have come loose without breaking them, the rubber tube holding them together or the control horns on the rudder and elevator. Has anyone have a answer to this wonderment I call it because there is no logical explanation I know??
The only explanation I can come up with is the rudder and elevator are not stiff enough to stop them from fluttering under excess speed.
Flutter could cause the clevis's to be pried open by the control horns allow the pin to come out of the hole in the control horns. Anyone else have an answer????
gslick2u is offline Find More Posts by gslick2u
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:21 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
516 Posts
Yes read my post number 3922 page 262 it the apprentice s15e safe Tread
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Last edited by Gregertman; Jun 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,519 Posts
Your buddy took off your clevis's when you weren't looking!

Seriously though, I find hard to believe that a clevis's can come off a control horn and still be intact with the silicon keeper also still on and the pin unbroken?
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx