aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Discussion
2014 Cumberland, Maryland Spring Soar for Fun

5th Annual Cumberland Spring Soar for Fun

Date: March 20 - 24, 2014

We have a five day weather window, so we hope for at least one great day. The last four years have given us four to five great days in a row...will our luck hold? You will have to come and see!

* As always, all manner of sailplanes are welcome...DLG to Giant Scale
* We will have tugs to aerotow everything from small foamies to giant scale
* If conditions allow, a winch w/ retriever is available.
* Weather conditions will dictate style of flying, so bring everything...slopers to floaters, foamies to giant scale.
* Landing fee is $10.00/day or $30.00 max. (Why come for just one day when the best deal is for all five).

* The HighPoint Aviation Airfield atop Knobley Mountain three miles south of Cumberland, MD in West Virginia.

* Visit our website at: www.highpoint-aviation.org

Recommended places to stay:

Fairfield Inn and Suites

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-cumberland/

Comfort Inn & Suites:

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lavale-maryland-MD145

Directions to the HighPoint Aviation Airfield:

GPS data for airfield:

Latitude: North 39 34.872' Longitude: West 78 48.230'

GPS data for intersection of WV Route 28 and Crestwood Loop:

Latitude: North 39 34.941' Longitude: West 78 47.134'

* From I-68 (on the crosstown bridge over Cumberland) take the Industrial Boulevard exit.
* As you enter onto Industrial Boulevard, stay in the right lane because in a short distance you will exit onto Canal Parkway.
* Canal Parkway will take you across the Potomac River into Wiley Ford, WV where it becomes WV Route 28.
*Travel south on WV Route 28 for three miles to the first intersection with Crestwood Loop (Crestwood Loop intersects with WV Route 28 in two places that are about 1/4 mile apart).
* From this point, follow the pointer signs that says "SOAR" The road up to the airfield is an unpaved mountain road with many turns and steep grades, so be prepared. Have all of your cargo secured so it will not get damaged.

Food & Facilities:

* The local CAMS Club will provide a lunch concession each day. Lunch will be served at about 1:00pm.

* Bring what snacks and drinks you will consume the rest of the day and please take your empty wrappers and bottles with you because there is no trash removal service available for the airfield.

* There are port-a-pot facilities on site. Camping is allowed, but there is no 110AC or running water.

* Bring layers of clothing because the temperature can vary widely over the same day. We have seen daytime lows in the 40's and highs in the 80's. Don't forget sunblock and skin lotion, because we don't want you to go home with sun and wind burn after being outside all day.
Arecer is offline Find More Posts by Arecer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2014, 04:30 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Sunday, March 17, 2014

Four more days until Spring and the beginning of the 2014 flying season.

When we closed the gate at the HighPoint Aviation Airfield at the end of the 47th Annual Cumberland Soar for Fun last November, it marked the end of the 2013 flying season. Today was our first visit to the field since then. Time to deliver the Coleman stove, propane heaters, and the solar charging system storage batteries that spent the winter at my house.

We walked down to the runways to take in the view, and it was as grand as ever! Here is a look around:

Looking North across the field

The main runway runs NE to SW, here is the view to the SW from the center of the runway.

And the view looking the opposite direction, NE

Lots of room for those $6,000+ scale sailplanes and tow planes...and for the Telemaster 40 tow plane and Easy Glider. Every journey begins with a single step, and many have gotten their first aerotow experience with this little foamy. Once hooked, their steps progress toward those big beautiful scale birds...we may not all go as far, but the journey is still an amazing adventure.

Seeing those masterpieces of soaring sculpture fly is awe inspiring and I am thankful to all of those pilots who have come here to fly and to let me witness their performance art...and it is priceless!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:13 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Representatives from Connecticut and Alabama arrived today and got their trailers parked.

Even got in a couple of flights!

Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:06 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Our friends from Michigan and Illinois using up the last of the daylight on official day one! Nothing like sitting in a chair for an hour flight...then again, some like to walk down to the bottom of the field to be closer to the slope action.

Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:28 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,667 Posts
Looks like fun, Jim. Wish I could be there. Have fun, take care,

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:22 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,015 Posts
Thanks Jim..........really really enjoyed my visit to one of the best site!

I'll be back with gliders in the future!

Happy to meet everyone and see you all another time.

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:56 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slope P View Post
Thanks Jim..........really really enjoyed my visit to one of the best site!

I'll be back with gliders in the future!

Happy to meet everyone and see you all another time.

LP
Good to meet you as well LP!

The HighPoint Aviation Airfield near Cumberland, Maryland has a 48 year history with R/C soaring. Many people have had the chance to fly in this unique place. This event had participants from as far away as Alabama, Connecticut, Illinois, Michigan, and North Carolina.

I am always humbled by folks that will drive those distances to come here. Another memorable five days on the mountain.

Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:54 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,680 Posts
Many more photos coming.... right?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:07 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,260 Posts
The good. The bad. The ugly. Okay, there was good and bad in each.

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/th...pe-and-aerotow
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:12 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
That was a very good time after a freacking long winter, glad it gave us a break from building

Here is a first video from friday morning

Enjoy

SPRING FOR FUN 2014 PART 1 (3 min 50 sec)

stephane
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:32 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
407 Posts
Here is the second one

SPRING FOR FUN 2014 PART 2 (3 min 29 sec)
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Mar 29, 2014, 09:46 PM
United States, CO, Delta
Joined Aug 2011
262 Posts
Gentlemen. Thank you for posting,great photos,man those are some of the biggest Zagies I have ever seen!!! WOW!Paul
dufek paul is offline Find More Posts by dufek paul
Old Mar 30, 2014, 04:56 AM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Here are a series of photos taken by Rick Kutchman