HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2014, 03:24 PM
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
575 Posts
So, has anyone else had trouble getting their Tidewater out of a flat spin? I did a spin today and ended up in a crash... This plane really doesn't seem to like me.... I have glow powered profile planes, EPP foam planes, coroplast planes, foam board planes, balsa planes, and on and on, but none that I have crashed as much as this Tidewater! Seems every time I do something with it that puts in any sort of spinning dive, it crashes!! The nose is wrinkled now and it separated the plastic hull from the foam a bit... I straightened it out and flew two more batteries through it, but I am scared to put it into any sort of spinning dive! CG is spot on, all controls work, just not sure what the heck to do get it out of a dive! I can flat spin my T-28, my Carbon Cub, and my SIG Fazer and they all come out of the spin with a little opposite control input, or even just a neutralization of the controls. This plane just continues earthward like a duck full of lead!

EDIT: I also started the spin fairly high, so there was a lot of time to recover....
roversgonemad is online now Find More Posts by roversgonemad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:25 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
253 Posts
Alas, my Tidewater took heavy damage yesterday. I was downwind and long on a gusty day and it porpoised once and then dove in nose first from 150 ft in a tight spiral. I can't figure whether I out-ranged the AnyLink or the horizontal stab came off in flight. I found half of it floating with the hatch cover at the crash site.

Definately rebuildable although it is damaged throughout: wing Nylon bolt held and the fuselage tore out at the rear of the wing saddle. Rear pylon Nylon bolt held and pulled up through the wing (good bolts - cheap foam!) The wing also tore from the right angle of the port aileron cut-out forward through most of the chord of the wing. And the ESC and receiver are soaked and non-functional after drying out this AM. Probably write-offs. The elevator servo is oddly twitchy: up elevator makes it buzz/shake and then slowly go up. But down is as normal (I tried it and all the servos on another receiver). Sounds like missing teeth but doesn't see to have a "bald" spot.

No make or model on the servos. I hadn't noticed that before.

I'm debating whether it's worth digging the servos out (glued in the cut-outs) or just starting fresh. I plan on putting a real receive in regardless of whether it's rebuilt or replaces. The AnyLink & AL/2 seemed like a good idea but in practice has been a pain. Now I don't much trust the range. The Rx has just a little 3cm antenna in among a lot of wiring.

I am toying with the idea of adding wheels to this airframe and making a land-plane. It just flies so nice! It won't be much to look at. Mine hit the water so hard about half of the paint came off the wings and fuselage! I think I compressed the whole airframe and it bounced back to shape.

Definately will be a Tidewater in my stable on way or another.
Charlie P (NY) is offline Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:12 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
768 Posts
I got my Tidewater back in January...and still haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

The weather on my days off this summer hasn't cooperated at all. I've only been able to make it to the lake four times, and on those four times it was so windy I actually had trouble getting my 1:1 boat out of it's slip...so, obviously, no conditions for an RC plane.

A couple of weeks ago I had a chance where the weather looked good and I had the time off. Went down to get some stuff together...noticed one of my cats had basically eaten the horizontal stabilizer on the rear of the plane. I was pretty upset. To make matters worse, the rear horizontal is sold out everywhere and not expected in until the end of this month at the earliest.

So, I'll have basically had this plane for an entire summer and not gotten the chance to use it once.
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:03 PM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
128 Posts
Well, after quite a few flights, this is what I've done to get mine to where it flew satisfactorily.
1) Moved the battery aft about 1 inch. Otherwise I couldn't get it out of the water without a struggle. The CG is past the rear limit according to the manual, but not by much.
2) Placed a single nylon washer under each of the lower 2 screws on the motor to reduce the down thrust.
3) Added carbon fiber braces to the tail.
4) Removed the heat shrink over the heat sink area of the ESC and moved the Velcro to the other side.

It flies pretty good now, but I think I will reinforce the area where the rear bolt of the pylon goes through the wing. It appears to flex when you increase throttle, thus increasing the down thrust. I also noted that the ESC was still quite hot after a run (I'm pretty easy on the throttle), so I decided to add a HK heat sink as someone else on here did. The ESC did not like that at all. As soon as I opened the throttle the ESC died and there was no control at all. Fortunately, this occurred on the bench, not in the air. At first I thought it was something wrong with the battery, but the problem repeated with another. Once I removed the heat sink, everything was back to normal. The heat sink was not in contact with anything it shouldn't be so I can't explain it. Anybody else run into this? I think I will install air vents as I have seen elsewhere in this post and call it good.
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:53 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
After reading 41 pages (whew..) I decided to get one from Tower Hobbies (using a discount code). My wife and I bought a cabin on a lake awhile ago and I've been having fun flying my modded Super Cub with floats. I knew I wanted another float/seaplane and couldn't decide what to get. I also ordered a 45A ESC from HeadsUpHobby and a 3mm collet spinner. I'm going to use my own Spectrum RX/TX. Hopefully I'll have it ready by Labor Day weekend.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:56 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
I got my Tidewater back in January...and still haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

The weather on my days off this summer hasn't cooperated at all. I've only been able to make it to the lake four times, and on those four times it was so windy I actually had trouble getting my 1:1 boat out of it's slip...so, obviously, no conditions for an RC plane.

A couple of weeks ago I had a chance where the weather looked good and I had the time off. Went down to get some stuff together...noticed one of my cats had basically eaten the horizontal stabilizer on the rear of the plane. I was pretty upset. To make matters worse, the rear horizontal is sold out everywhere and not expected in until the end of this month at the earliest.

So, I'll have basically had this plane for an entire summer and not gotten the chance to use it once.
Can you make something out of foamboard that will get the job done until you can get a proper replacement?

Glad my cats seem to have no interest in foam except for those stupid packing peanuts. It's not digestible so you can end up with a very expensive vet bill if they eat a piece big enough to cause a blockage.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:08 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammon3 View Post
Well, after quite a few flights, this is what I've done to get mine to where it flew satisfactorily.
1) Moved the battery aft about 1 inch. Otherwise I couldn't get it out of the water without a struggle. The CG is past the rear limit according to the manual, but not by much.
2) Placed a single nylon washer under each of the lower 2 screws on the motor to reduce the down thrust.
4) Removed the heat shrink over the heat sink area of the ESC and moved the Velcro to the other side.

It flies pretty good now, but I think I will reinforce the area where the rear bolt of the pylon goes through the wing. It appears to flex when you increase throttle, thus increasing the down thrust. I also noted that the ESC was still quite hot after a run (I'm pretty easy on the throttle), so I decided to add a HK heat sink as someone else on here did. The ESC did not like that at all. As soon as I opened the throttle the ESC died and there was no control at all. Fortunately, this occurred on the bench, not in the air. At first I thought it was something wrong with the battery, but the problem repeated with another. Once I removed the heat sink, everything was back to normal. The heat sink was not in contact with anything it shouldn't be so I can't explain it. Anybody else run into this? I think I will install air vents as I have seen elsewhere in this post and call it good.
That's weird. I did it on mine and also my sons. No issues at all.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:37 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammon3 View Post

I put an air scoop on the battery hatch and an exit scoop on the rear of the fuselage and now the esc. and the battery come's down just warm and not HOT!!
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Last edited by bc-slowflyer; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:34 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
That's weird. I did it on mine and also my sons. No issues at all.

I suspect while attaching the heatsink, the aluminum plate over the mosfets separated. The only time I attached a heatsink to an ESC I cut around the shrink wrap and removed the plate entirely. I cleaned the thermal paste off the exposed mosfets and used arctic silver epoxy to bond the heatsink directly. Works very well.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
253 Posts
Trying an upgrade. I put a 40A ESC from a Flyzone Hadron and a Spektrum AR610 (dual antenna) receiver in my Tidewater. One advantage is that the ESC has longer Dean's leads and I can mount it further back and further above the "waterline" in the fuselage. The foam over the battery is a bit of closed cell foam I add friction-fit to really secure the battery.

I've also settled on the Master Airscrew 8.5 x 6 prop and the DuBro 32mm spinner/collet as the best match for my needs.

And I think I like the red better than the black.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:29 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Nylon pod screws

Can anyone confirm the size for the nylon pod screws? The manual shows 4.75mm x 50mm, Tower shows 5x40mm for the motor pylon kit and 4.75 x 40mm for the replacement screw set. I'm adding a thin piece of ply under the rear motor pylon pod as it does look fairly weak and I would like to use a longer screw. Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
253 Posts
4.75 x 40mm according to Hobby Zone.

Quote:
This is the Screw Set for the Flyzone Tidewater Seaplane. Flyzone Part FLZA6331

Features
Nylon screws fasten motor pod to wing, and wing to wing saddle
Machine screw holds stabilizer to fin

Includes
Two 4.75x40mm Nylon Screws
One 1/4-20x2 Nylon Bolt
One 2.8x25mm Machine Screw

I see that the latest Tidewaters already have a larger (plastic) plate at the rear pod bolt entry.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:10 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Mine has the plate too, but it starts to deform before it 'feels' secure to me. Anyways I found a thinner piece of ply and that's working out. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:49 AM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
128 Posts
Yes, it really does fly! A few shots from Mountain Lake Campground (We have a seasonal site there). I still need to beef up the rear mounting bolt area on the pylon. the pylon definitely moves forward when you apply throttle, resulting in insufficient up elevator for aerobatics.
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:58 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Looks great! I just finished up assembling my Tidewater (with a Sky Power 45A ESC from HeadsUpHobby and a Spectrum receiver) and hopefully this weekend I'll fly it off the lake. I also inserted a CF rod in the tail and an APC 8x6 prop with a 3mm collet spinner. If I have time I may swing by the LHS and get a 9x5 prop before I head up to the cabin.