SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:56 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,574 Posts
Discussion
Women, tools.

Women seem to have no understanding that hand tools, although seemingly just hunks of steel and plastic, have evil intentions that must periodically be corrected. When a tool, with malice aforethought, smashes your finger or cuts your hand or slips and ruins what you're doing it must immediately be disciplined by being thrown across the room against a brick wall, slammed on a hard bench top, or heaved across the yard. All of these seem to be effective but not very long lasting before they act up again. Women have no concept of these facts.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:04 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,114 Posts
Well if this ain't a misogynist statement I don't know what is.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
my cousin dropped a VERY sharp wood chisel on the floor which landed point UP, as he bent over to pick it up, he knocked his hammer off the workbench. his thumb was over the chisel when the hammer hit his thumb into the sharp end of the chisel.

well if THAT does not prove the evil intent of tools........
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:36 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,407 Posts
Evil Tools

I had a finish nail gun fire a 2.5 inch finish nail through my thumb nail into a two by four. Hey It at least it didn't chase me around the room!
Bob
Robert Pulse is offline Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Oh come on guys it is just like killing the messenger, you probably shouldn’t but it really does make you feel better.

I have a huge craftsman drive ratchet that needs thrown across the garage floor on occasion.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:40 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
tools (as are most mechanical things) are carnivorous. They must be fed periodically in order to function properly. You don't really think we are that accident prone that we bust a knuckle EVERY time we fix the car do you? The car wants a little taste, just give it to them and they are fine! I do not agree with throwing tools (makes them hard to find and you have to crawl our from under the car to get them), sometimes they can get a little obstreperous and take more than their fair share. Now if I could find the little gremlin that keeps hiding the dozen 13mm sockets I own (and of course everything I own is held together with 13mm nuts and bolts), I would be a lot happier. My bride fixed that a couple of years ago with a nice dog-bone ratchet wrench (every size!), and it is too heavy for the gremlins to pack off (so the whisper in the ear of my daughter to go fix her bike with it!).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
.... slammed on a hard bench top.......
What!?!?! Not on my bench! I throw 'em at a tree out back.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:25 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,574 Posts
Beautiful. Now show us the one you actually work on, you know, hammering, painting, soldering, etc.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
I try to avoid throwing my tools, make them harder to find. Usually just easier to work carefully, Especially at work where I get paid by the hour, no need to rush there. I have worked in electronics for over 40 years now and I still have some of my original electronics and mechanics tools. Don't have the right tool? Go out and rent it or buy it.

I needed to change the serpentine belt on my skylark. The local garage wanted $150.00 to do it. I left there and went to NAPA and bought a Gates brand belt $16.00. Harbor Freight, and bought an engine lift $78.00. The lift holds the engine up while I remove the motor mount on the front of the motor. Now the belt can be easily removed and replaced. I saved $56.00 and got it done sooner, and ended up with a higher quality part.

My wife of over 25 years comes out and helps me when I'm working on the car, been doing it long enough to know what most of the tools are called. That was especially helpful I was changing an upper motor mount on the Grand Prix with only my left hand, (I'm right handed.) Right forearm in a cast.

And no, I'm not scar free. I have been burned by my soldering iron and stabbed by my x-acto knife in the past. That was before I learned that when they try to fall of the bench, don't try to catch them. Just back up and watch. Once the tool stops moving point at it and yell in a commanding tone of voice, "STAY!" then; and only then, do you pick it up.

The only time I had a ratchet break on me when I was using a leverage multiplication device, AKA, The Pipe. Fortunately when the ratchet broke and my arm swung out it was my watch and not my wrist that hit that exposed bolt. I did get a new watch.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Last edited by Apismelifera; Dec 09, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
These all sound like ESO Failures.

Equipment Smarter than Operator

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Hey! I is a framer! If you cannot hit it hard enough get a bigger hammer, if that don't work get an airtool! If that doesn't not work, call the rental place and get something hydraulic to help you with it.

In the military they would just use the standard method of applying more pendulating Richard's to the job (for those that need translation for less PC, PM me or get a thesaurus). Or pitch the offending piece of equipment over the side and get a new one.
Foo
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:06 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2011
159 Posts
'applying more pendulating Richard's to the job" swing'n what !

Kinda like using a BFH. aka: use a swing'n press

have fun, Dave
1parrothead is offline Find More Posts by 1parrothead
Last edited by 1parrothead; Dec 09, 2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: corrections
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
if it jams, FORCE it, if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
I always bought Craftsman tools. Guaranteed forever. Broke a 1/2" drive ratchet right where the ratchet mechanism is installed. I was using 1-1/2" socket on the ratchet and a 4' length of pipe for "additional mechanical advantage" and the head just exploded. Took it back to Sears, the kid working the tool area just looked at the pieces, there wasn't a mark to be seen anywhere, then at me. All I said to him was, "must have been a defect in the forging". He never said a word, just walked over to where the ratchets were, picked one up, handed it to me and that was the end of it. Why would anyone want to throw, or throw away a perfectly good broken tool if you have a guaranteed lifetime replacement? Used properly, "additional mechanical advantage" can be a good thing.
DDWILLIE is offline Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Found a 1/2" ratchet on a job site buried in a mud puddle (bosses truck churned it out of the mud), took it to Sears, they told me that they hadn't made that type in two decades. Didn't question why it was rusted over, didn't question where I got it. Just got me a new one! Now I just have to convince the wifey that I NEED a set of 1/2" sockets!
Foo