HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:36 PM
FPV and Robotics
Joined Oct 2011
44 Posts
Question
Brushless Motor Loose?

Hi,

I have a brushless motor (ritewing branded), and the shaft seems to be loose in the assembly (I.E. the shaft and the part that rotates around the coils). I can actually move the rotor laterally very slightly, as well as forward and back. It's causing a LOT of vibration.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Christian
kidovate is offline Find More Posts by kidovate
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:52 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Sounds like sloppy bearings... and the fore and aft might be due to a missing spacer or circlip.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Couple of things. How is the shaft secured to prevent it from pulling through?
Does it have an E clip or something that looks like a wheel collar on it?
With either it sounds like you have to much play between the retainer and the back plate of the motor for the in/out movement. Something as simple as readjusting the wheel collar, or adding a small washer between the clip and back plate to correct. Or if you know what you are doing, you can press the shaft deeper into the the bell to take up the slack.

Side to side movement, could be a bad bearing allowing lateral slop. Feel any roughness when your turn the motor? If it's a bearing, It's possible to repair, you'll have to find a matching set, press out the old and press in the new. Another one that you need to know what you're doing or you'll just make it worse, if not destroy it.

Only other thing and I've seen it on some "frugal" motors. The bell is held to the shaft with a pair of set screws. And the clearance between the shaft and hole in the bell is a little too large. Not really a lot you can do there, other then drill and tap for two more set screws on opposite sides, or try and make a bushing.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:23 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
He had the C clip slide down the shaft , it never had the thrust collar put on to support the C clip.
All fixed now.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique