SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Even I have trouble affording a 500 sized heli, I would not recommend it as a 1st heli unless $$$ is not an issue. If it was not a issue I doubt you would be looking at clones. Getting started is the real trick, a good computer TX is the best way to go, i would also go with a BNF like Jas suggested mCPx or nCP and a SIM. Then you can start piecing together a good 450 clone kit.

Spekrum is probably the best way to go for a TX, then you get all the BNF eflite (helis) and Parkzone (airplanes) solutions from Horizon Hobby. Also, where do you fly in Wichita? A calm day the wind blows ~20 mph and it goes up from there. That typically means flying inside a gym and a 500 size would be too large for that. I grew up in Wichita and I sure don't miss the wind

good luck
I live in a trailer park on the outskirts of town. The park has a very large soccer field. The soccer field has heavy shelter belt, both on the east and the south side. I can often fly my 328 when the winds are +10mph, if its blowing from the right direction. Even if its from the north or east I am somewhat protected at less than 8mph.
livingword26 is offline Find More Posts by livingword26
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
wile the buy in cost seems higher for a 500 or even a real align kit it really isnt that much

the 500E is only 30 bucks more then a a 450 Pro and a real align 450 is only about 100 bucks more then a clone once you put decent stuff in the clone and fix every thing

i started on a 500ESP 3G the only upgrades it has are orange tail fins and i JUST upgraded the head dampers 2 years later because the stock ones that have been in it since i built it wore out

crash costs of a 500 are only slightly more then a 450 and thats only do to blade costs and imo if you use a sim your going to crash the 500 less then 450 any way since you can fly it higher and still see it and the just flys better all around
in the end i think your crash costs will be less with a 500

you can get a 500E kit here http://www.performanceplusrc.com/ser...E-Super/Detail
for $425 shipped after discount (he gives 5% off in the cart) add a used DX6i for 100 bucks and some lipos say 150 for 3
30 bucks for a used RX and maybe 100 for a charger
$805 all up and isnt really bad in the long run remove any thing you may have already like a charger
if is to much even a clone 450 ill be to much for you as your going to have replace parts every crash and you will crash it a lot
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Last edited by Elios000; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've started with a blade 4503d and would definitely recommend it. The problem with nano and micro helis is they react completely differently to larger ones, and I would have in my opinion picked up bad habits had I started with something like the ncpx or the msrx (both of which I now own, and they're great little birds for micro).

Make sure you start with training gear and don't take them off until you feel confident with the basics, i.e. hovering at all angles and basic forward flight.

I agree that the 500 is probably the way to go if you can afford it, but then money does become an issue. For me, the 450 size was a just compromise, large enough to be stable yet small enough so that crashes wouldn't break the bank.

Also, if you're new to helis, get a sim. They're expensive (for the good ones) but you easily make up the cost from not crashing. Also lets you progress faster, because you learn acrobatics and reflexes on the sim, then just have to get the balls to make them work on the real thing.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
trex 500 parts other then blades are cheaper then Blade 450 parts
but even blades arent much so its really not as bad as people think
you can get decent blades for around 30 bucks for a 500
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
The main issue with the trex 500 for me is that you use 6s lipos. For those to charge at decent pace you need a decent charger, and the equivalent battery for a 450 is double the price.Given that you want at least 4 lipos to have a bit of fly time, that means an added ~80 bucks. That's on top of the heli. If you go second hand, sure you can save money. Personally I dont have much interest in second hand helis, I'd rather build my own. At my local hobby shop, a trex 500 is ~800 bucks vs. the RTF blade 450 which is 500.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
The main issue with the trex 500 for me is that you use 6s lipos. For those to charge at decent pace you need a decent charger, and the equivalent battery for a 450 is double the price.Given that you want at least 4 lipos to have a bit of fly time, that means an added ~80 bucks. That's on top of the heli. If you go second hand, sure you can save money. Personally I dont have much interest in second hand helis, I'd rather build my own. At my local hobby shop, a trex 500 is ~800 bucks vs. the RTF blade 450 which is 500.
1. you can get lipos dirt cheap one line
2. you can get trex 500 kit on line for LESS then 500 bucks see my link in the other post
if the buy in price is that bad you really need another hobby since your going spend more then that any way in the long run
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
keep saving dont get a 450 and DO NOT GET A CLONE
save up get a nice radio and a sim get a used DX6i and a copy of PhoenixRC
then save some more get a T-rex 500E
you will thank me in the long run
What's wrong with a clone? My clone (admittedly with a few upgrades) flies extremely well and it cost me a lot less than a trex. Also, the 500 (yes i have one) it scares me more than my 450 i think about the money i spent on that thing and it just makes me nervous to try things. In fact, I barely fly that thing now. Not saying that would be the case with the original poster but i'm just saying for a new person the 500 can be intimidating for sure.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
i went right to a 500 it not scary at all >.> not even my 600 was that big a of a deal
once in the air there all the same size

whats wrong with clones you said it your self you had to upgrade a bunch of stuff had to up grade nothing on my 500 other then esc i wanted a gov(not needed) and even my 6HV only thing that really needs an upgrade on it out of the box are the tail blades which 12 buck KBDD EEs fix

a new pilot isnt going to know if its them or the heli thats the issue
i tryed a Blade SR barely could hover it lots of crashing
got a T-rex 500 did Radds and used a sim and i was doing forward flight on my 8th pack on it
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
i went right to a 500 it not scary at all
We all know you started with a 500 by now. That doesn't mean it's right for everybody. I do not understand why you constantly try this... you have been around here long enough to know better. A much more dangerous and costly machine is not a good idea for many people. The 450 offers the best balance between price, safety, and difficulty. The 500 offers a slight reduction in difficulty, and that's the only advantage it has. Please stop acting like it's rainbows and butterflies - it is a large, dangerous machine.

Quote:

a new pilot isnt going to know if its them or the heli thats the issue
If a 500 hits you, you are going to know it. Here's an experienced pilot crashing a 500 - please watch and listen to the sound of this crash until it scares you as much as it should.

Trex 500 Hard Crash (2 min 24 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
if a 450 hits you its not going to be pretty ether ....
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:21 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
I hit myself with a mCPx...it hurt I have decided not to be stupid with any heli....it is a decission and I'm not always so brite

Anyway, hoping you can find a good heli livingword, a 500 is better in the wind, a 450 is OK. BTW,, you can get some low cost 500 blades at xheli, ~$15, you can get 450 CF blades for $8. I thinnk the 450 is more cost effective but would recommend a mCPx or nCP, they even fly pretty good in the wind After amassing a fleet of helis including 9 450s, 3 500s, a 550, 2 250s, some TREX some clones, I love the mCPx the most of all
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
I was so scared to fly my 450 both legs were shaking.

Love my MCPX.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
119 Posts
+1 to the "do no buy a clone" posts.

been there done that, I have a clone and to this day I kinda regret it.
feerof is offline Find More Posts by feerof
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
+1 to the "do no buy a clone" posts.

been there done that, I have a clone and to this day I kinda regret it.
What do you regret about it?
livingword26 is offline Find More Posts by livingword26
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
278 Posts
My first single blade heli is 120SR. then i bought a MCPX which i didn't even used it, now i decided to get a blade 450 3D. let me tell you this. big helicopter is more stable that a small one. just go straight to 450 or 500 start with a landing gear then take it off, you'll be fine man.
lightfighter363 is online now Find More Posts by lightfighter363