HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:48 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Discussion
Best way to transport?....

Hi guys. Well, I am about to take possession of a Jeep Cherokee that will have the room in back and rear access to better carry my planes to the field.

But as I will be transporting both sailplanes with long spans and pattern planes, what ways have you come up with or things you have built for the back of your vehicle to carry your planes? I am looking for ideas and even try this or don't do that.
Any photos will help too. Thanks

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:56 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,919 Posts
Hi PP

Back in the club days a lot of us guys made up wing bags, use the quilted material from the yardage store.

Being it is thick it stops a lot of hanger rash, sew a handle in the middle too.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
603 Posts
My friend built a removable platform for the back of his van about 1 foot high legs with a 4'x4' 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood on top. winches, retreivers, batteries, tools go on the bottom. The top has a carpet scrap on it; planes go on that. He usually only carries two or three planes though.
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
It's very quick to make wing bags out of that bubble pack insulation, and then you don't have to worry about stacking lots of wings on top of wings.

A friend of mine had a Jeep CJ something or other. It was pretty short but had lots of headroom. (At least for him.) He used to run straps across the ceiling and put wings on them.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:09 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
I built these cardboard carriers. The wing carrier uses the cores from the wing foam. Twenty years and no dings so far.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,416 Posts
I find that Sport Tubes work well, for carrying wrapped wings and fuselages. You can strap them to a roof rack.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:15 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
603 Posts
Sport Tube sounds like the way to go, especially since you can strap it to the roof.

I use a snowboard bag, 62" long, by Dakine. It holds my wing sections and has a zippered side pocket for my stabs. Long pieces of foam furniture padding go between the wings in the main compartment. Bubble wrap would work too. You can get good deals on these snowboard bags in the off season or end of the ski season. I bought mine in April for $50 online.

Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Way cool ideas guys!! Thanks.

PP
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:05 AM
southern oregon
Joined Feb 2010
52 Posts
Painter....

I use bungee cords across the inside of my Toyota Scion (aka the Toaster) from the grab handles front and rear. Clothes hooks also work to fasten the straps to.
I can carry one piece 80" wings with ease. The biggest problem with all airplanes is the tail feathers. So far I've made mine removeable on most of my planes. Free weedwacker cardboard boxes make excellent carrying cases with a little Titebond three and a sharp utility knife.
The other good thing is brand new sleeping bags from Wally world for a sale price of nine dollars. They can be cut up and sewn into nice padded sleeves for the wings, etc.
Then a light plywood shelf in the rear of the vehicle is great when you can store boxes above and below. I watched a great pilot named Don Bailey haul a telemaster tow plane, and about four more gliders in the back of a small pickup truck with the aid of the shelf, and boxes. Of course he had the appropriate chairs, radios, etc..along with it all.
I think the best solution is to put them in your vehicle the night before so you are not in a hurry to pack 'em safely or forget the wing rods, etc....
Painter are ya all done with the rebuild ???? Take care, Randy
Randy Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Randy Shaw
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
Lately, I've been spoiled, at least when I fly locally. I just keep my glider stuff in two ski boxes on a roof rack. I have pulleys from an overhanging tree in case I want to get them off. Very convenient. However, when I want to go to a far away contest, it ruins the gas mileage, so I'll probably continue to completely stuff my little car for contests. One big advantage of the boxes is that, since I've painted them white, they stay cool inside. Another is that I can find it in a big parking lot.

An alternative to avoid the heat problems is to make a cover for your vehicle's roof and windows out of that silver bubble pack insulation. A bit bulky, but when you put it on, it stays cool inside.

Perhaps you could make a box that fits the back of your Cherokee and keep the planes in it. Then you can just stuff the box into the vehicle, and most of the packing is done. If they don't stick up too high, you could add an insulated top to it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hi Randy. The rebuild is coming along fine. Now that I have a reliable vehicle, I can go to a friends house and use his sander to take a bit off of the root rib that I epoxied into place. I live in an apartment so I don't have a sander yet. The Bud Riser will flt again, and soon. Stay tuned.
I must make a correction. I actually took possession of a Chevy Equinox. Does the same thing as a jeep and is a great ride.
I was thinking of maybe building a square rack type thingy out of pvc. I could transport wings and fuses on a couple of levels. I would use the hot water pipe insulation tubing for padding. But I still haven't figured out how to keep the things from sliding around. Maybe a bungee idea similar to what Randy uses...
A friend at the field has something similar but uses long pieces of ripped t-shirt to tie the wings and stuff to the rack. Just a thought. By the way, thanks for the photos! They are great!

PP
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
The foam may have a high enough coefficient of friction that wings won't slide on it.

If you worried about the rack sliding, maybe velcro hooks on the bottom to engage the carpet on the vehicle? Or perhaps just make it so it can just barely fit and has no room to slide.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:42 PM
I fly wood.
United States, MD, Columbia
Joined Jun 2009
80 Posts
For my van I made up a frame of 1/2 inch PVC and a bunch of T's and 90 degree elbows. I didn't glue it so I can pull it apart to get it out of the way. The top is 3/4 inch foam insulation. It fits in the space where the third row seat folds down. The lower center section is as wide as the space between the two middle row seats. Longer wings extend into the space. For wing bags I used some old sheets. Single layer or double, both seem to work. I did make one set from the quilted/padded fabric metioned in a previous post. I put some foamboard inside the bag to add stiffness, support and some more protection.
Bob from MD is offline Find More Posts by Bob from MD
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
I built a shelf ... heavy stuff goes underneath, plane bags and such above.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
Hi guys. Well, I am about to take possession of a Jeep Cherokee that will have the room in back and rear access to better carry my planes to the field.

But as I will be transporting both sailplanes with long spans and pattern planes, what ways have you come up with or things you have built for the back of your vehicle to carry your planes? I am looking for ideas and even try this or don't do that.
Any photos will help too. Thanks

PP
I am lazy and don't want to remove wings.

I drive a Ford Ranger (long, 7 foot bed) with a camper shell.

So, for my 3 meter bird I place the a wing tip up against the cab and nose up against the right side of the bed, prop the tail up in the air (with a cardboard box) so it does not contact anything.
The wing hangs out about three feet. So I wrap an old towel around the wing where it contacts the raised tailgate. I then loop a 1/4 inch rope around the wing and attach it to both sides of the bed.
As for the rear window (raised by air springs) I surround one air spring with a wooden strut just in case the air springs might collapse.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr