HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:08 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
Micheal, you starting a thread on that Edge?

Already exists... They've had the plane for a while, just no good videos
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post21005620
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:55 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,480 Posts
the Slick is in my hands

I picked it up from the courier's depot an hour ago. First impression is that it was worth the wait. Build quality and finish is first class, I cant fault anything. OK, it doesnt have the extensive carbon and composite materials that are used in some brands but it's none the worse for that, the structure looks well designed and genuinly exceptionally well built. Hobbyking have really improved beyond recognicion compared to the previous model I had from them. Even the build manual (a joke in most HK products) looks acceptable, it's nothing like the detail that you find in PA or EF manuals but fine for someone who has a few models under their belts.

The landing gear area seems to be well thought out but could do with some CA running into the joints as some look quite dry ( a recommendation whatever the brand of plane).

More to follow...

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Gigity!
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
the Slick is in my hands
I picked it up from the courier's depot an hour ago. First impression is that it was worth the wait. Build quality and finish is first class, I cant fault anything.
Steve
Darn it! Now I won't get any work done for 2-3 weeks as I will be busy reloading the EMS tracking page...

Really looks like HK hit a home run on this one.
NJSwede is online now Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Congrats steve - hows the build going?....wind is looking good this week, shame its so dark and gloomy..its like staring at a lump of coal in a coal seller out there So hopefully you will get to maiden it this week when some blue stuff shows up
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The cut out for the horizontal stabilizer on mine is not "quite" in the same shape as the curvature of the stabilizer, unlike my PA and EF. There are gaps both top and bottom near the front after the stabilizer is all the way in and snug in the middle. I'm going to add balsa and then sand down to shape as I would hate to use thick CA to cover the gaps.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Hey guys.i just saw an interesting comment on the website
"This plane is awesome. I bought it as a replacement for my 3DHS 51" slick that I recently crashed.
The 3DHS slick was a superb flying plane and judging from the 8 flights I've had with this one it's every bit as good, well done HK!
Build quality is as good as any I've seen.
I'm using a KDA 36-12XL 770Kv motor, turnigy dlux 70A ESC, nanotec 3000maH 25C, APC 15x7, castle 10A BEC, TGY-375DMG servos (TGY-2216MG servos would be better). Servo holes are approx 24x12.5mm. AUW is 1650g, about 100g lighter than the 3DHS slick using the same setup.
Hovers easily at half throttle, flight times are 8-10mins.
Flight characteristics seem very similar to the 3DHS slick, very stable harrier, very easy to hover, good flat spins. Wingtip spins are excellent, they're easier to initiate than with the 3DHS slick and the spin rate is higher.
Recommended CG was perfect at 99mm."
need we say more about this beast?opened her for the 1st time last week and all that went through my mind was WOW!!!!!6s 3d here i come
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:13 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The cut out for the horizontal stabilizer on mine is not "quite" in the same shape as the curvature of the stabilizer, unlike my PA and EF. There are gaps both top and bottom near the front after the stabilizer is all the way in and snug in the middle.
That's odd because I just dry fitted mine and it's spot on, better than the EF Edge EXP I built a few months ago. As the openings are laser cut I'd have expected them to be consistent.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That's odd because I just dry fitted mine and it's spot on, better than the EF Edge EXP I built a few months ago. As the openings are laser cut I'd have expected them to be consistent.
The front of the stabilizer is abutted against the fuse ... can't go further. I looked at it against and the second choice is to carve out part of the fuse. I'd preferred the first choice by adding balsa then sand it to fit.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The cut out for the horizontal stabilizer on mine is not "quite" in the same shape as the curvature of the stabilizer, unlike my PA and EF.

Is it a $120 outa shape
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Is it a $120 outa shape
No!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:12 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bildo baggins View Post
Is it a $120 outa shape
Hey Bildo... Do you have to use that crazy clown in your Avatar? You are really scaring the kids
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
What ever do you mean

Self portrait
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
People are using HS 65's??? That could not possibly be enough except MAYBE on the ailerons, MAYBE...

Long Leng, You gonna get another one?
I've been flying mine on HS-65MG's Dead, and they've been doing fine. I do need to add these though to get some more throw, especially for the elevator.
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Lame flying I know, but it takes me longer then the average joe to get comfortable with a plane. I also need to either replace the elevator servo with a HS-85MG for get more throw out of the HS-65MG.

HK Slick (5 min 13 sec)
moxjett is online now Find More Posts by moxjett