SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
541 Posts
Discussion
Replacement shaft help

I just got done winding a MiniGBx kit, 22 turns, 28 gauge (just like the MicroDan motor). Anyway, its pulling the bell off the stator when I run it up. I kinda figured this would be a problem even before I wound the motor so I emailed Dan and he said on customers motors he puts a drop of CA at the end but on his personal motors he leaves it free. So now I'm on the hunt for a 1.5mm shaft atleast 34mm in length that will accept an e-clip. There's no way I want to put CA that close to a bearing and I don't have any cut off disks small enough to make a cut for an e-clip...

So does anyone know of a replacement shaft that will work or other suggestions?

Thanks.
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:37 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
I just got done winding a MiniGBx kit, 22 turns, 28 gauge (just like the MicroDan motor). Anyway, its pulling the bell off the stator when I run it up. I kinda figured this would be a problem even before I wound the motor so I emailed Dan and he said on customers motors he puts a drop of CA at the end but on his personal motors he leaves it free. So now I'm on the hunt for a 1.5mm shaft atleast 34mm in length that will accept an e-clip. There's no way I want to put CA that close to a bearing and I don't have any cut off disks small enough to make a cut for an e-clip...

So does anyone know of a replacement shaft that will work or other suggestions?

Thanks.

You might have to make your own shaft. A good material for that would be a 1.5mm drill blank. That is finished to the tolerances needed and it will be hard enough and ready to use (except for cutting to length and the like) as you buy it.

Here is one typical drill blank and a source for it:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=1680150

Here is a thread that shows how to do the work:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240725

As a warning, MSC is accustomed to dealing with the manufacturing industry, they are not a hobby shop. The shipping costs on one shaft may be way out of proportion to what you would expect to pay for one small item simply because they ship by UPS or FedEx and not USPS.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes