SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Oct 2006
93 Posts
I really want a piper cub, but I hate the long skinny prop shaft on this one, same as my Ares Gamma. I had to replace the entire motor on the Gamma to keep the prop shaft from bending easily. Anyone have any experience with that on this cub?
robodeath is offline Find More Posts by robodeath
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
Beer is proof that God exists
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Oct 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
To be honest, a little masking tape and some yellow spray paint and the included decals, or in my case some from Callie Graphics, and you can have a decent looking little Cub.
Hi Jim! What brand and color ('duh, cub yellow ya idiot!') spray paint did you use? I agree, the multi-shades of yellow are definitely an eyesore. And with my older brother getting ready to maiden his 1/4 scale Cub soon, I don't want mine looking sad as it sits now.

Your suggestions??

Joe
FoamFlyingJoe is offline Find More Posts by FoamFlyingJoe
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:56 AM
Beer is proof that God exists
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Oct 2011
23 Posts
WVrailfan,

Almost forgot...I really like the CAP decals you put on the Cub. I used to be in the CAP as a cadet a loooooooong time ago. We didn't have any Cubs to fly (a bare skinned C-172) but I found an old USAF/CAP recruiting poster that shows an F-89 high above, what looks to be either a Champ or Cub flying low with the old CAP decal on the side, and an airman pointing the aircraft to a young cadet.

Framed and hanging in the man-cave.
FoamFlyingJoe is offline Find More Posts by FoamFlyingJoe
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamFlyingJoe View Post
Hi Jim! What brand and color ('duh, cub yellow ya idiot!') spray paint did you use? I agree, the multi-shades of yellow are definitely an eyesore. And with my older brother getting ready to maiden his 1/4 scale Cub soon, I don't want mine looking sad as it sits now.

Your suggestions??

Joe
I used Valspar "Gloss Gold Abundance" in a spray can from Home Depot. But you can use pretty much any spray paint, Rustolem or Krylon have worked for me also.

I recommend removing as much of the original paint as you can. Just stick some tape to the plane and peel it back off, it will take most of the paint with it. Then wipe it down real good with some alcohol to remove oil before painting.

Good luck
Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Jan 05, 2014, 02:44 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2013
20 Posts
Hi guys,

Two questions about the Piper J3 that I just ordered :

- Has anyone attached a camera on it? What cam model do you suggest? How do you fix it so that it doesn't take too much away from the cosmetic / detail of the plane (no glue!!) ?
I'm looking at the Dice Mini (here) but not sure if this is the best option...

- For grass landing, can you please give me some reference for bigger wheels (if needed) ?

Thanks a lot.
pilotefou is offline Find More Posts by pilotefou
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:50 PM
United States, CO, Breckenridge
Joined Mar 2014
5 Posts
Hey guys,

I have this plane and for 99 bucks ARF its a good deal.

Is it heavy... yeah its a bit fat.

Are the landing gear crap... yeah but Dubro tires are only a few bucks... (dont know what size i need but since no one else answered ill take a mic to the axle and find out.)

*EDIT... So the hubs just pull right off... splines on the wire "hold" it on... however the axle is too short for any dubro tires I had... 2.75-3.5 inch look good but they will not stay on the axle. At this point I'm going to look into a complete landing gear swap and use the old set up for skis in the winter.

Is the paint a bit off... yeah it's crap

Carbon spar only goes half way out on the wing...

Are you stupid for trying a cub as a first plane... YEAH... get a 3 channel trainer!
This plane is under powered... at least at 10,000 feet above sea level, doesn't have much forgiveness in take off and landing, and if you bank too much with out throwing some rudder in there you most likely will stall. Yes this plane does require some work and tweaking but again, for 99 bucks, I love it.

This plane is awesome, it flies great (SLOW AND UNDER POWERED JUST LIKE SCALE), looks pretty scale (50 feet off)... and IF I ever break the motor shaft, it will be a good excuse to upgrade to a 4S setup!
Steewhoop is offline Find More Posts by Steewhoop
Last edited by Steewhoop; Apr 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:41 AM
United States, CO, Breckenridge
Joined Mar 2014
5 Posts
On Second Thought...

Check out the Multiplex Fun Cub!

For a little more coin you get a vastly superior plane!

The J3 doesn't have the power to weight to carry anything else as it can hardly get out of its own way! The FC has oodles of power with the hot setup suggested on the horizon or heads up sites... I ran the 2812-10 Himax motor with a 12x6 slow fly or 11x7 SF with good performance... and have run a 10X5 and 11X5.5 but at my altitude they were kinda slow. I put in the hot motor, Himax 2815-07 with the 11x7 and it is a beast! love it, no complaints. over 40 flights on it and I just maidened it last week!
Steewhoop is offline Find More Posts by Steewhoop