It flies very well in 9 mph winds too!
Just a great all around flier.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
675 Posts
Does anyone know where you can buy the exact same velcro strap that comes on the POP?
I have velcro straps but they don't have the "buckle" on them and don't work as well as the one on the POP's.
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I'd like to have a handful of those too.
I bet the plastic buckle part is available somewhere.
Then you could build your own straps.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:04 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,747 Posts
Here is a place you can get velcro straps with the buckle on it.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/ofn/ofn30663.htm

You get 3 of them for $6.29 (plus shipping)
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Re-U...ps+with+buckle

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-2985...pd_sim_sbs_e_1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Have any of y'all sat the wing down on the ground leaning back on the wing tip fins? After a few Ka-plunks I figured WT and up she went like a rocket nice a smooth. Almost like a VTOL minus one. ZEEZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:04 PM
flight investigator in service
Lakewood,Ohio
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Glad you like it, we knew you would.
It flies very well in 9 mph winds too!
Just a great all around flier.

This plane sure is a plane that can tackle anything, I flown mine in 15-25 mph winds without a problem! This plane tackles the wind very well and by how duable it is it can deal. With anything that the weather can give it!

Except for storms and really bad wind storms
microkid is offline Find More Posts by microkid
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Landed at the edge of the pond and found dinner ....ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Threadliest Catch
United States, MO, St. Robert
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Okay, here it is. I did a build video with all of the parts I used to get the 1200mm Popwing in the air. It balanced out perfectly with the Cg being right at 200mm from the front. Tell me what you think of the build and also check out the maiden flight. It is rendering right now and will be up shortly. Don't forget to check out my FB page too for some more info.

www.facebook.com/wadesrcblog

Nitroplanes.com 1200mm Pop Wing Kit Build (22 min 9 sec)
Sooby22 is offline Find More Posts by Sooby22
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:26 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Mini Popwing For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Maidened my mini yesterday and had a time trimming it out as it was all over the sky. After a few good ka-plunks into the grass, NO damage!!, I finally found it's sweet spot. Man this thing is swell , I can slow it down and then point it up and zip up to the clouds at light speed. I believe this wing is gonna make me a better pilot all around. It will sure keep you involved in the flying process. ..ZEEZEE
Can't believe you're selling your new baby!
But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744776
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,747 Posts
I just built another Popwing for a friend of mine at my club. He didn't want too much speed so we decided to run a 1250kv brushless.

I plugged in my trusty "watts up" meter and it's pushing about 100 watts at 8.5A, using a Gens Ace 25C 2200mah lipo battery.

He is going to have a blast getting about 20+ minutes of flight time per battery pack.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
45 Posts
have to add my 2 cents:

I have not read this whole thread but I have both the Popwing and the mini:

I bought the Popwing with a motor and esc included, it was something like a 1200kv motor and supposed matching ESC, it seemed to be kind of small for this but was included, I put it together with some used parkzone servos,not expecting them to last, but hey, it didn't really matter though because after assembling it and testing it the stock motor ran about 15 seconds and then smoked. So as many of you do, I got out the spare parts bucket. I had a barely used 2200kv bp motor and a way too large 55amp ESC, it went in. I never used this with the supplied parts, they died right away. But, with this motor and the same used servos this wing kills it. I don't know how fast it does go, but I'd guess it in the neighborhood of 100 mph full speed. I use a 6/4 or 6/5 prop with a 1300 mah battery COG came out perfect. I have 3 30 inch strips of led's on and it did not seem to affect the COG. I get about 20 minute rides with the 6/4 less with higher pitch and 5 inch props.
i have not found this to be weight sensitive at all. I think it could easily carry a larger motor and go faster. I really haven't had the problems I have read about here. I have flown this wing at night, in the dark, in honest 20 to 30 mph winds and had no control problems. I don't remember ever really having a bad crash, just some belly flops, you know, wind, but really this wing kills it, very versatile. With this motor it will go full vertical forever, has a ton of power, and still goes nice and slow. I have had a blast with this.

Mini Popwing:

I bought this as an ARF from xxxxplanes, I used all the stock included parts and it really works well. I have read that the Techone parts aren't all that great, and knowing that the servos are weak, I took sandpaper and smoothed off the joining area on the elevons until they just moved freely. I then built it pretty much following the instructions. The motor seemed small, but I built it anyway with all their parts. I used it for the first time in 10 to 20 mph winds, it kills it. This wing is small and light, but it has power and works, the motor that comes with this is plenty powerful.,, it takes plenty of wind for its size and weight. As a package I think the mini is the best.

Both can work really well, but the mini is the best package of matched parts for the purpose,
I got my larger one to work, but the mini is much more well thought out.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:26 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf1111 View Post
I had a barely used 2200kv bp motor and a way too large 55amp ESC, it went in. I never used this with the supplied parts, they died right away. I don't know how fast it does go, but I'd guess it in the neighborhood of 100 mph full speed. I use a 6/4 or 6/5 prop with a 1300 mah battery COG came out perfect. I have 3 30 inch strips of led's on and it did not seem to affect the COG. I get about 20 minute rides with the 6/4 less with higher pitch and 5 inch props.
I'd be surprised if you reach 75mph with that setup and a mini popwing let alone a popwing, but I don't know what a bp motor is.

I saw a video of a foam plane (do not recall if it was a wing or ducted push fan jet) clocked at 100mph and it was a blur across the screen. I have not seen any unmodified techone popwings or mini popwings that fast on video. The fastest mini popwings I've seen are speculated at traveling approximately 75mph using a 24g motor @ 3000kV with a 5x4 prop.

My understanding, the bigger the prop the more thrust and lower top speed. And the kV rating is a RPM value. So 2200kV with a 6x4 prop on a popwing(larger, heavier than a mini popwing) does not figure to travel at 100mph. However, I'm new to flying and may be wrong!
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:25 PM
Threadliest Catch
United States, MO, St. Robert
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
I'd be surprised if you reach 75mph with that setup and a mini popwing let alone a popwing, but I don't know what a bp motor is.

I saw a video of a foam plane (do not recall if it was a wing or ducted push fan jet) clocked at 100mph and it was a blur across the screen. I have not seen any unmodified techone popwings or mini popwings that fast on video. The fastest mini popwings I've seen are speculated at traveling approximately 75mph using a 24g motor @ 3000kV with a 5x4 prop.

My understanding, the bigger the prop the more thrust and lower top speed. And the kV rating is a RPM value. So 2200kV with a 6x4 prop on a popwing(larger, heavier than a mini popwing) does not figure to travel at 100mph. However, I'm new to flying and may be wrong!
I have a video of the 1200mm popwing on a 2826 2200kv motor and it is not running that fast. I have a scratch built one that hit about 120 and the popwings are no where near that fast.

Maiden Flight Delta Wing Scratch Built (3 min 59 sec)

This one is about 100mph and I know a popwing stock will not do that.

Here is the Popwing with the big motor and it is nowhere near that. Fast, but not as fast...about 60mph.

Nitroplanes.com 1200mm Pop Wing Maiden (6 min 29 sec)

Also, you are right about Kv and prop size however you need to factor in what size battery. 3cell versus 4 cell. I was running the 4s on the 100mph wing. 3000kv x 11.1v =33300 rpm where as 3000kv x 14.8v =44400rpm...big difference there. That might be the point of confusion too.
Sooby22 is offline Find More Posts by Sooby22
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:23 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the 1200 build and flight videos. Good job.
I have all the parts here for that powertrain.
Can't decide on that or a lower kv, bigger prop option that I also have here.
Kind of want to keep the noise down on the 1200.