Not tough at all,,,,,130X
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:43 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,070 Posts
Tails of Woe.

Just found a problem which may help someone. Long story but over the last 3 months my Baby has been getting tail blow outs. Changed everything and last night was running her up without blades in my hand and I found out that the tail rotor would stop occasionally and then re-start! Lots of checking under a magnifying glass and I found out that there are small inserts in the tail rotor socket which contact onto the pins. One of these inserts was loose (it came out with the plug which is how I spotted it) and the other was missing! I found the ‘missing’ insert still on the plug of a tail unit which I swapped out ages ago! No wonder that I had an intermittent contact. New batteries, 2 new tail rotors, new main engine and now I think that I have found the problem, Dohhhhh. Going to hard wire (solder) the tail in tonight and see.
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I was thinking about going brushless to solve the blow out problem as well as more power.

It's a tough one.... Brushless or 130x???
I have 3 mcpx bls setup and a 130 x. I love both of them for different occations inorder to brush up my 3D skills. I've found the mcpX bls to be more forgiving in crashes as oppose to my 130.

Bottom line, I love them both :-)
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
If I do a brushless conversion on the MCPX, with this resolve tail blow outs.

I recently have been attempting flips and rolls and the tail blows out way to often. My only real complaint regarding this heli.

I have the solid extended tail boom and have tried the KBDD Main blades and tail blade.

I recently blew out a tail FET and replace the FET. I was just starting to do the flips and rolls, so I don't recall if this was an issue prior to the FET change. Is this typical with a stock setup, with the exception of an extended tail boom.

I didn't really want to go brushless, but if it will provide a fairly rock solid tail during 3D, then I may try it.
Here's my mcpX bls with dual brushed tail motors flown by a buddy...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=m...&v=tBE2c4G1Jv4
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Does the tail motor typically need to be replaced when you blow out the tail motor FET from a short. This happened recently and I replaced the FET. The tail holds during normal flight, but seems to blow out more than usual. I'm going to try replacing the tail motor first.

Will the msr tail motor work? I've been reading that they may be different. Some are saying to go by the resistance value. I have one that is 1.3 Ohms.
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:33 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrc View Post
I have 3 mcpx bls setup and a 130 x. I love both of them for different occations inorder to brush up my 3D skills. I've found the mcpX bls to be more forgiving in crashes as oppose to my 130.

Bottom line, I love them both :-)
I have been debating it for a long time, but realize I will buy a 130x instead of going brushless.

I am still waiting though...... I still read about a lot of issues with the 130x

But the mcpx serves a huge purpose for me. Still thebest purchase I have ever made in this hobby. There is no way I would be flipping my 450x around without a solid 100 flights on my MCPX. 126 flights to date and I have only replaced the blades and swashplate.

..... the secret is flying over plush grass
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:19 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Not tough at all,,,,,130X
+1

130X is my new 'first' helicopter now. I do have mCP-X brushless (with longer tail boom and 120Sr tail motor), but 130X is still better choice. All things with it are consistent and more predictable. Plus power. Even with brushless mCP-X I couldn't do continuous 'piro flips' (or something like them) while 130X does them easily.

I was afraid that 130X wouldn't be this forgiving in crashes, but given power it is able to withstand quite a lot. Especially if flown over soft, longer grass. So far I replaced main shaft (really nasty crash), swash (many, many crashes), main blade holder (indoor, 100% speed direct to the floor with rotor blades - for the second time as first time nothing happened to it), main gear, 'A' and 2x 'C' gear (stripped after many crash landings I forgot throttle hold). Mind you - I had broken main shafts and many stripped main gears on mCP-X as well (and blades and booms)

So, in comparison to each other, when handled quite rough - they are pretty similarly robust...
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
130x ROCKS with Xtreme-production double bearing pitch slider (2 min 52 sec)

Today's 130x vid...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That's some flying. How did it survive the,,,,ahem, landing?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
That's some flying. How did it survive the,,,,ahem, landing?
Thanks, I picked it right back up and flew it w/o any issues.

I dumped it 5 consecutive times and finally stripped the Bevel gear on the main shaft.

I still have fun with my stock MCPx working on inverted flight :-)
Stock MCPX v2 pirouetting Hurricane @ home (1 min 24 sec)
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Need some help guys, just got a used v2 to supplement my bl v1. I'm binding normally to my dx8 but I think it's trying to bind in non computer mode because its ignoring idle up and pitch isn't following pitch curves etc. previous owner used dx4e with it. Anyway anyone know how to get it to bind in computer mode, or reset it somehow???

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Need some help guys, just got a used v2 to supplement my bl v1. I'm binding normally to my dx8 but I think it's trying to bind in non computer mode because its ignoring idle up and pitch isn't following pitch curves etc. previous owner used dx4e with it. Anyway anyone know how to get it to bind in computer mode, or reset it somehow???

Tom
Had some time to actually use search (I was frustrated and on my way out for the night when I posted the above question). Discovered that V2 binding procedures changed from V1, RIGHT rudder is required during binding for V2! I'm good now!!!

Tom
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I have been debating it for a long time, but realize I will buy a 130x instead of going brushless.

I am still waiting though...... I still read about a lot of issues with the 130x

But the mcpx serves a huge purpose for me. Still thebest purchase I have ever made in this hobby. There is no way I would be flipping my 450x around without a solid 100 flights on my MCPX. 126 flights to date and I have only replaced the blades and swashplate.

..... the secret is flying over plush grass
I have 2 mcpx's, a v1 converted to brushless and a v2 that's stock, as well as a 130x and the new nano cpx. I love the 130x because it flies like a much "bigger" bird than the others, but honestly the nano cpx is BY FAR my favorite, because it makes the mcpx seem FRAGILE in comparison. I've plowed the nanocpx into a parking lot a FULL THROTTLE, INVERTED, and literally only cracked the canopy. It's skittered around out of site on pavement because I didn't hit hold and left idle up on, just scratched the blades a bit but it flies perfect, NO adjustments, NO straightening gears, NO pitch links coming off. I seriously don't think you could break the nano if you flew on anything soft like dirt or grass. I can't tell you how great that bird is!!!

Tom
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I have 2 mcpx's, a v1 converted to brushless and a v2 that's stock, as well as a 130x and the new nano cpx. I love the 130x because it flies like a much "bigger" bird than the others, but honestly the nano cpx is BY FAR my favorite, because it makes the mcpx seem FRAGILE in comparison. I've plowed the nanocpx into a parking lot a FULL THROTTLE, INVERTED, and literally only cracked the canopy. It's skittered around out of site on pavement because I didn't hit hold and left idle up on, just scratched the blades a bit but it flies perfect, NO adjustments, NO straightening gears, NO pitch links coming off. I seriously don't think you could break the nano if you flew on anything soft like dirt or grass. I can't tell you how great that bird is!!!

Tom
How is the tail holding on the nano compared to the mcpx? I'm sure the smaller and lighter these things get, the less likely they will break, especially over soft grass.

My only 2 concerns would be power and tail holding in 3D.

Other than that, simply being able to track it in flight due to size.

The mcpx is great for practice. I could go brushless for more power, but higher risk of damage during crashes. I'm just not sure the tail will hold any better if I mod the tail.

I certainly do favor mech. tails over elec. tails.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,157 Posts
Put a new blade extended tail on my mcpx and the tail seems to be holding much better now. Tail motor must have been on its way out.

For some reason when I piro, the heli tilts a little vs. staying straight. I thought the boom was twisted, so I tried to straighten it. Still does it. I recently installed a Microheli swash. Don't know if that matters.