Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Hi Si
looks like you have a bent fin or warp somewhere as the motor thrust angle won't be an issue on the glide
Thinking about it, I did loose a wing after the first attempts and I made the mistake of gluing it down the field. Maybe I put a slightly warp or bend in the wing when doing it?

To be honest it's hit the ground hard so many times it's probably got all sorts of funky aerodynamic qualities.

Quote:
I'm in the Beaufort so have access of 4 club fields with my favourite being at Marshfield. I've also got the permission of the farmer to fly from her field on Lansdown which was the site of a English Civil War battle. The park is one row of houses away so great for a quickie before/after work. Only problem is pusher jets being noisy. HK Rare Bear and Seafury always get an audience but no complaints as nice and quiet. People don't seem to care about the 80 mph speed
Ah right! Sorry I made the really bad assumption that as a park flyer you weren't a member of a club! Sorry...
I fly at the winterborne site as it's only a 12min drive from home. Marshfield is a good field but everytime I go down its dead! I enjoy flying with others as much as the flying itself. I get a bit bored when no one is around.

I'm very tempted by the rare bear. The prop is in the right place for launches!
Also tempted by the radjet but I really dislike launching pushers. Not sure which would be the better buy?

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
but then again my mate that launches for me has a very stable handhe launches perfect for me every time
I found having a good launcher helps a lot. Every good flight I had was launch by someone good at it. Unfortunately I had a car accident a few months ago which has buggered up my shoulders & neck - so can't give a good hand launch myself at the moment.

I reckon a lot of my woes have been the motor mount bending on an unsuccessful launch. Once it was trimmed out for glides it flew and glided dead straight. Just power on launches made it either dive or climb and stall. Depending how it felt!

Went out looking for the canopy in the cut field tonight (vain hope!) to find myself being circled by a police helicopter!! A 20 something male in shorts, sandles and t-shirt in the middle of a field must have looked very suspicious...
This plane is causing me no end of trouble :P

Si
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
build yourself a cheap pvc pipe bungee launcher....get jets off won't be the issue,its flying an overpowered hkpkj that takes the cake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0:58
parkjet from hobby king bungee launch HD
July 8, 2012 6:38 PM

1:04
funjet ultra bungee launch HD
July 8, 2012 6:43 PM
tobydogs is offline Find More Posts by tobydogs
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:11 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I'm very tempted by the rare bear. The prop is in the right place for launches!
Also tempted by the radjet but I really dislike launching pushers. Not sure which would be the better buy?
Cheers,
Si.
The stock Radjet will be the next to build. Will launch side arm at full power with the model angled up and to the right. The Rarebear and Seafury get away really easily on 3 cells as it's just a case of letting them go from an underhand launch! On 4s they can be launched at 45 degs which kinda eliminates the torque roll problem as you plenty of height to correct.
I plan to maiden my naked Parkjet this evening so if you feel the earth shudder some time after 18:00 you know I've binned it
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Quote:
..........I reckon a lot of my woes have been the motor mount bending on an unsuccessful launch. Once it was trimmed out for glides it flew and glided dead straight. Just power on launches made it either dive or climb and stall. Depending how it felt!
Forget all those metal mounts ... this is what happens ... the mount snaps at the 90 degree bend ..

Next to it is the mount made by a pal of mine but I cannot use it as he didn;t leave enough room for my big diameter heli motor ! So I devised an alternative from the local hardware store ...

Suitably drilled makes an excellent mount ....

I slotted out under the beam and slid it in with loads of epoxy ... so the beam gives it good strength of structure, the mount itself can be bent to the angles you want ... it's tough, survives just about anything thrown at it !

And as Toby says ............. a launcher such as the catapult bungee is the best thing ever !

Quote:
Went out looking for the canopy in the cut field tonight (vain hope!) to find myself being circled by a police helicopter!! A 20 something male in shorts, sandles and t-shirt in the middle of a field must have looked very suspicious...

Si
Foam block .... hollowed out ... that's what I'd do to replace old.

To hold it down ? I have two wing bolts ... one either side going down into blind captive nuts set into the underside. There is no way that canopy will ever fly-away !!

Look to left and you see the captive nut ....

with again the DIY mount on PKJ2 ...

Yes that's a 4400kv motor capable of up to 5S !! On 4S she puts out over 1.1KW ................

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Last edited by solentlife; Sep 09, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:26 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Successful maiden

Managed to maiden my Parkjet yesterday evening. No earth tremors as I didn't lawn dart it on it's first outing Running this motor A2208/8 2600kv with a TGS 4.5 x4.5 prop from Giant Shark http://www.giantshark.co.uk/a22088-2...-p-405607.html which has now reverted to the original gold finish. Using a surplus 20 amp esc from my HK Seafury and a 1300 3S Nano-tech 45/90c pack for the juice.
Got my brother to launch it for me and she went away without drama. Did loose the motor but just a bullet connector.
The motor sounds very rough but this could be an esc issue so will swap for a Turnigy 30 amp one which is much better quality. I've also got a Mystery 3000 kv heli motor on standby which I might try.
I've uploaded the unedited maiden video shot on my baseball hat mounted #16 HD keycam which for some reason YouTube have only encoded at 480p. Must check my settings. Sorry there are a few sections that seem to consist mostly of sky but there are a few nice fast passes. Overall very pleased with the way she flew. Only problem was another club member arrived with his Jamara Roo which we all know is the same as the HK SkyFun (45.52 UK). He didn't fly as his TX pack was flat. Bummer, especially as he had just fueled up his nitro plane. Looks like I'll be pressing the buy button again once they have stock. I've a nice NTM 1800 kv 4S motor that should work really well on the larger model.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Here's the video
HobbyKing Parkjet maiden flight (2 min 57 sec)

Andy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:

Si
hahahahaha
Oh gosh that must have been something for the books.you shouldve asked them to give you a lift from the heli to look for it might be able to spot itbut by now,it's probably cornflakes already.hehe
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, KS, Potwin
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
After much faf (read, crash into the ground on launch), I've finally got my ParkJet flying.

Fly well it does! Just hand launching is a pain...

Unfortunately on its first flying flight, a sharp turn made the canopy shoot off and fall into the surrounding corn field. Had a good look but didn't really have a hope of finding it. They're combining it today, so it'll probably end up in someone's cornflakes.

Now I have a great flying plane, but no canopy - and HK don't stock replacement canopies. The cost of the complete airframe with shipping to the UK, is not far off buying a whole new ARF kit from the UK warehouse... Which I could do, but I'd still have a serviceable airframe with no canopy!

So I tried making one with a coke bottle, it (or I) failed miserably. Then I made one out of foam, which worked ok but cracked.

I'm tempted to give up on the canopy and fly it naked. Has anyone done this with any success? Or is the aerodynamics affected badly?

What have others done when they've lost their canopy?

Cheers,
Si.
I made one out of a 2 liter pop bottle. Worked well, turned out a little lower profile, but now it really looks fast!
BenBusenitz is offline Find More Posts by BenBusenitz
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
I've now added some paint to my Parkjet. Eggshell blue underneath and desert camo on top. Added some decals and signage so she good to go for some more sorties. Might have to add some black stripes under the wings to help with orientation but hope will be ok as it was never a problem with my Drongo painted in the same colours
Anybody recommend a product that I can use to remove glue from the canopy without melting it? I made a right mess of it.
Andy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,671 Posts
Looks nice reminds me of aero Andy lol
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Thanks
I think Aeroandy's was green and blue. I copied my Drongo's scheme
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
507 Posts
Looks very nice.

How did you paint the scheme? Use cut templates, masking tape, ??
What painting instrument did you use?

Looking to paint mine this weekend in the same camo scheme.

Quote:
I've now added some paint to my Parkjet. Eggshell blue underneath and desert camo on top. Added some decals and signage so she good to go for some more sorties. Might have to add some black stripes under the wings to help with orientation but hope will be ok as it was never a problem with my Drongo painted in the same colours
Anybody recommend a product that I can use to remove glue from the canopy without melting it? I made a right mess of it.
Andy
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,671 Posts
While still on the quest for a good speed from my parkjet, I am building a new one with the original 3000kv motor on the back, a club member claimed his is setup that way and is nearly has fast as mine, funny things that he brought his out then claimed esc problems and was unable to fly, lol.

Either way it will give me a lighter one for the local park lol.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:24 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Looks very nice.

How did you paint the scheme? Use cut templates, masking tape, ??
What painting instrument did you use?

Looking to paint mine this weekend in the same camo scheme.
Thanks. I used 1 store foam brushes for the larger areas/base coats and it was all painted free hand.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PC-Foam-...item2c67d5581f
I did goggle "warbird camo" or something similar to get some ideas. The paint was acrylic craft paint for the top and emulsion tester pot for the underneath.Two coats were required. The decals were bought online from Ebay.
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Sep 28, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
I used Craft spray aerosols to paint mine ........ only masking was for the motor, canopy and fuselage line change from underside to top. All rest was freehand, even the camo joins of colours.

The decals were $6 from local shop who create vinyls from any design you give them ...

The tip rockets are from a 50mm T45 model and only pinned with cocktail sticks for static display.

Underside is light sky blue ..............

Originally I was going to emulate the Vulcan Bomber - but that is actually not so easy to do as the colour areas are quite small and numerous. This was my freehand result.

But word of warning .......... it's not a good colour scheme for high speed ... and this is the baby that hit 222kph.
One flight - we spent near an hour trying to find her when she deadsticked into a tall grass field !

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife