HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:26 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
As a mechanical engineer, felt gluing the small ridges of fuse together with glue was not very strong. So ... Instead put bands of 3/4" wide reinforced clear tape about every 4 inches completely around the fuse or strapped across the seam in the wing area.

Ran strips of tape down the seams from the nose to the tail on the landing area seam.

Taped the rudder to the elevator and to the fuse by bridging the parts with tape.

Also added 24" carbon-fiber in the bottom seam of the fuse from wing to tail.
Put carbon rod from the fuse rear-wheel hole through the elevator 3 inches into the rudder.
Joined the wing with the velcro on the bottom method.
Put second 1-foot long carbon-fiber rod inside the wing rod.

Results: strong, light, very fast build.
I hope you didn't use Canadian tape from Singapore.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Gene, you are a naughty boy. Go sit at the back of the class or it's off to the headmaster with you
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
DJ,

What's your problem? I just answered his question (albeit the for the 2nd time). Sometimes people miss the reply.

Bill
Sorry Bill, I used the wrong quote. I should keep my mouth shut on this and I will.

DJ, with mouth taped shut ( used Blendurm hinge tape, also good for airplanes )
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:19 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
For everyone who endured the back and forth about "The Tape" over the at 24 hrs, I like to add a comment specifically about tape.
I recently built a new bird and not trusting the foam hinges, I sanded then out and went to the LHS to get some Extreme packing tape. (Side note - I'd already been to many hardware stores here in Singapore and could not find the 3M brand)
Anyway, the LHS store had some reinforced tape that looked OK - made in Canada - so I assumed it should be fine.
Anyway, today I maidened the new bird - a few rough landings, one very mild cartwheel.
I was very surprised to see that 3 out of 6 of the hinges on the elevator split straight across the reinforcement. Each hinge was about 1/2 (12mm) wide

Net result is that I need to find better tape.
The moral (and this relates to the many messages above) is that to assume makes an
ASS out of U and ME.
Lets all keep smiling - and have a great day.
Cheers.
That tape may have been glass fiber reinforced. The glass fiber will break quite easily if it is creased. You can hang a LOT of weight on that tape as long as it has not been creased, but if you bend it back on itself tightly and then yank on the ends it will break quite easily. There are tapes that use man made fiber as reinforcement which are much better for applications where it will be bending a lot or be forced into corners with a thumbnail or other high tech tool.

I have never used this one but it is an example: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glHGPN8JHNBTbl

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Dear attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1. Well said. Many have tried to earnestly help him. After a long, long, time and many efforts, I have concluded that he is only a detriment to this thread. Hopefully, sooner or later, he will just go away. He has very, very few "helpful" posts - if any at all. As thread starter and Page #1 librarian, I apologize for him.
AJ
P.S. This is also a good time to stop and give a BIG Thank You to all of you that have generously and freely helped so many. You know who you are..
I get that i don't articulate my answers enough, and i am somtimes brash and oafish, but what you said to me was down rite hateful.

When i started reading this thread{not even a full year ago} i read the whole damn thing before asking my first question, and even before the first question, i was sure to book mark any thing that might have helped me later, if any have you have done this you know how time consuming it is.

So excuse me, or don't, i really don't care, so when somebody new jumps right in, and starts asking questions before collecting all the usefull info that might be relevent to him{gathered from this thread of course} well that just tells me he /she want's answers without really having to do any thing to get them,now that to me is just lazy.

As far as being dubbed the dark cloud of the thread, i will try to work on not being that guy any more.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Sep 02, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I think I would hire a Helicopter LOL
like this one ?? lol

Helicopter Panasonic HC-X900M (0 min 53 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Well this is certainly killing a good thread about a good plane, ive just heard enough now. I really dont care about some ones social inadequacy I can watch Jeremy Kyle for that. Just get a grip and grow up
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:05 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Um yup, that's more my style of climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Well this is certainly killing a good thread about a good plane, ive just heard enough now. I really dont care about some ones social inadequacy I can watch Jeremy Kyle for that. Just get a grip and grow up
Killing a thread is a perception not a reality. Continue discussing your experiences and discoveries about this airplane, no real harm has occurred.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,511 Posts
If we are all in agreement - lets chalk it up to a day, and lets move on. I'm sure better days are ahead.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:01 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
If we are all in agreement - lets chalk it up to a day, and lets move on. I'm sure better days are ahead.
There's no need to fear, wiener dogs are here...

LuLu calls for backup. (2 min 10 sec)

and for those who made your plane so heavy you worry it may fly like a brick,.....bricks fly very well.....

Flying Brick, Reloaded. (2 min 41 sec)
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Sooooooo Funny Gene,

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Finally building

Well my box of parts finally arrived and I spent most of the day building my SS-V1. I screwed up more than once, but things seem to be OK anyway. I am using the removable tail feathers mod with Velcro to reinforce it. I was very concerned about how loose the wings were , until I remembered that I need to insert the rod.

Some small questions.

1) Can I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in my Tx ?

2) I glued the control horns in. There is the little screw and nut that goes into the control horn. On the rudder should it be nut on bottom, hole on top or visa versa. For the elevator, which way does the hole side go? Does it make a difference?

3) I purchased two different batteries, neither connector it like the one on the plane ( yes I am stupid). One connector is a 5 sided (house shaped) connector with two female connectors. The other is two bullets (one female one male) with two round connected plug.
Neither is the funky L that is on the plane. Are their an adapters or am I sunk.

Thanks for your patience.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Last edited by Shimmy; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Even more stupidity.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,989 Posts
Shimmy
have a look here for adapters but you maybe able to source locally or make one up.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapters.html
However, I find it easier just to remove the stock connector and solder on my one of choice. Just remember to cut only one lipo wire at a time, solder to new connector and use heat shrink then do the other. This way you will avoid a dangerous and expensive short. I'm afraid that soldering is one of the basic skills you will have to acquire as you get into this hobby. There are loads of "how to" YouTube vids on soldering so worth a search
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
1) Can I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in my Tx ?
YES... I do in all my TX's they're way better than NiCad's. 2000mAh to 2500mAh are good. That's what I use and it gives you a lot of air time without worry.

Quote:
2) I glued the control horns in. There is the little screw and nut that goes into the control horn. On the rudder should it be nut on bottom, hole on top or visa versa. For the elevator, which way does the hole side go? Does it make a difference?
Whichever way gives you the straightest control wire run is best.... I fitted the rudder one (side with the hole) underneath the horn... the wire has a much straighter run that way. The only downside is that you have to use a cranked screwdriver to tighten it or put a small hole at the elevator hinge so you can get at the screw from underneath.

Quote:
3) I purchased two different batteries, neither connector it like the one on the plane ( yes I am stupid). One connector is a 5 sided (house shaped) connector with two female connectors. The other is two bullets (one female one male) with two round connected plug.
Neither is the funky L that is on the plane. Are their an adapters or am I sunk.
The funky L thing is called a "Deans Connector"... cut the bullet connector off the battery lead and solder a Deans Socket on instead... Cut one wire at a time and solder it to the new socket.. don't try to cut both wires at the same time or the cutting pliers will short the battery. Use some Heat shrink tube on the wires that you solder to the new socket to insulate the connections after you solder them... but make sure you slide the tube up the wire before you solder it to the socket or you can't get it on there.... (don't ask how many times I forgot to do that)...

Best Regards,
Peter Piper.
peterpiper is offline Find More Posts by peterpiper
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Thanks,

Of course this means that my maiden flight is pushed of more, while this stuff arrives. argh.

I think that I need to buy an XT60 connector for the bullet battery and the Deans battery. And an XT60 connector for the esc. Then everything will be XT60.

Or is this stupid?

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy