SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:51 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,212 Posts
I had this issue a while back, and mentioning it here just bought a fight with RCT supporters who insisted that it was an issue with my computers.

In the end I emailed RCT and was provided by them with a means of accessing their site which always works and is quite simple. I won't discuss it here because when I last mentioned it I was again ridiculed. My advice is do the same, send an email and they will fix the problem for you.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:50 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,500 Posts
T was unavailable to me too but it's back.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
I had this issue a while back, and mentioning it here just bought a fight with RCT supporters who insisted that it was an issue with my computers.

In the end I emailed RCT and was provided by them with a means of accessing their site which always works and is quite simple. I won't discuss it here because when I last mentioned it I was again ridiculed. My advice is do the same, send an email and they will fix the problem for you.
It is difficult for both sides though. You have people claiming the site is down because they receive a misleading error message and others that can access the site saying it isn't down. When someone is actually able to get closer to the real problem, the uninformed enter the discussion and say that there is no blocking of visitors on the site. There is and it is easy for anyone with a basic understanding of the web to verify.

I've seen many people complain about the RCT site being down, on RCG and other forums, and this is the first time that I've seen the problem myself. When I tried to help those with the problem before it wasn't easy because I couldn't see the problem and they were frustrated and not often open to investigating the problem. It doesn't help that it only happens for a small number of visitors.

In the last couple of years, I've only spent about A$1k with RCT and I've spent several times more with other online suppliers, simply because RCT has a limited range of products. If their site doesn't work without wasting my time, there are plenty of other suppliers to buy from. No loss to me and RCT isn't losing much business.
Robert_AU is offline Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:37 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
T was unavailable to me too but it's back.
There's a important difference between the site being down (which it has been all afternoon) and it blocking some visitors all the time due to their IP address, assumed location, Paypal dispute history, or whatever. I was referring to this second situation.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 04:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
601 Posts
Quote:
There's a important difference between the site being down (which it has been all afternoon) and it blocking some visitors all the time due to their IP address, assumed location, Paypal dispute history, or whatever. I was referring to this second situation.
It might have been down for an update. The site has been updated at some point in the last 24hrs but I'm still only able to see the new version when blocking scripts on rctimer.com. There is even a new misleading error message when scripts are not blocked; "Sorry, cannot find the page you visit, please retry later. "

Edit: I did confirm that I'm not blocked if I connected with my laptop wifi tethered to my mobile (Telstra 3G data). Switch back to connecting to my home wifi (Internode ADSL2) and I'm blocked. Same browser and computer, different IP address.

There have been issues reported by others on sites that use IP to try to determine location, as ISPs start using new IP address allocations. Several different databases to connect IP to location exist but not all of them are up to date. The bigger sites get this sorted out quickly because they can put pressure on those providing the database they use.
Last edited by Robert_AU; Aug 16, 2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:08 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,212 Posts
I have not been able to access the RCT website since midday Friday. Several of my friends have the same problem. Is this a local issue or do others elsewhere get the same response?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
601 Posts
Quote:
I have not been able to access the RCT website since midday Friday. Several of my friends have the same problem. Is this a local issue or do others elsewhere get the same response?
Just checked and I can still get the site up but still only while scripts are blocked. Considering what you've posted that seemed a bit odd so I looked more closely at the image and...

http://www.rctimer.com (Works)
http://rctimer.com (Works)

http://www.rctimer.com/index.html (Gives the page you're seeing)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:49 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,212 Posts
Thanks. The first URL in the list works for me, the second gives me an error message (server not found). The third was from a bookmark that I have been using successfully for many months. Maybe their site upgrade affected it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:05 PM
Australia, SA, Pelican Lagoon
Joined Sep 2013
28 Posts
deleted
toton is offline Find More Posts by toton
Last edited by toton; Aug 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM.