HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:03 PM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
414 Posts
Discussion
WEASEL-EVO BUILD from Dream-Flight

My Weasel found its den today !!! I've go 80% of it built in 3 hours and I've chosen to build my weasal so it can be easily taken apart for travel.

Great Kit Micheal an excellent craftmanship on the components. It's clear and engineer designed this and has made an excellent assembly manual with great diagrams.
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Last edited by rarner; Jun 24, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:16 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
414 Posts
Weasel-evo Build

The Sloper Is Mad Of Epp. I Have A Gws P-40 Warhawk Made Of The Same Stuff And It Is Extremely Tough. I've Painted Epp With Testors Enamel With Great Results And This Should Be No Different. The Rare Earth Magnets Used To Hold The Break Down Version Are Extremely Strong. Magnets Are Marked So That The Magnets Align When The Wings Are Assembled To The Fuse.

I Used Goop To Glue The Magnets To The Rescesses In The Wings And Fuse. Very Easy To Accomplish Make Sure A Thin Layer Of Goop Covers The Magnets Because They Are very Strong And Will Pull Out Of The Foam. Keep Wings And Fuse Far Apart When Gluing Because The Magnets Will Attract Together When Withing 8" Of Each Other!
Last edited by rarner; Apr 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,401 Posts
More
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:34 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
414 Posts
Weasel-evo Build

Elevons Take The Most Time. They Need To Be Cut Both Length And Width Wise. I Highly Recommend Wicking Super Glue Into The Edges Of The Balsa Elevons And The Holes For The Control Horns For Added Strength And Very Little Weight Added.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:48 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
414 Posts
Weasel-evo Build

I ATTACHED CONTROL HORNS WITH THE INCLUDED PLASTIC PLATE AND BRASS NUTS. i ADDED A SMALL AMOUNT OF SILICONE SEALANT TO THE NUTS TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T UNSCREW IN FLIGHT BUT CAN BE EASILY REMOVED IF NEED BE.

THE KIT INCLUDES A ROLL OF BLENDERM THAT IS 1/2" WIDE FOR A HINGE THE LENGTH OF THE ELEVON. I RECOMMEND A 1" PIECE OF BLENDERM (I GET A LOCAL MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE FOR $1.50 A ROLL- IT IS GREAT STUFF FOR FOAMIES) ON THE TOP AND THE 1/2" FOR THE BOTTOM OF THE HINGE. THE ILLUSTRATIONS IN THE MANUAL ARE GREAT. THE WINGS COME WITHA PRE-BEVELED SURFACE SO IT IS EASY TO GET OPTIMUM ELEVON TRAVEL
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:06 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
414 Posts
Weasal-evo Build

WORKING ON THE FUSE.

THE FUSE IS REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT! COMPARTMENTS FORMED TO HOLD AND PROTECT SERVOS, 4 CELL BATTERY, RECIEVER.

I PAINTED THE BELLY SKID FIRST ON THE INSIDE WITH TESTORS SPRAY ENAMEL AND IT DRIED IN 20 MINUTES

I AM USING HXT 900 9GR SERVOS. (AT $3.50 EACH I BUY BY THE DOZEN AND REPLACEMENT GEARS ARE 99 CENTS FOR A SET, THESE SERVOS RIVAL HS-55's) THEY ARE A LITTLE SMALL FOR THE BAYS BUT FIT FINE AND I GLUE WITH SILICONE SEALANT AGAIN. IT IS EASY TO CUT THEM OUT IF YOU NEED TO REMOVE AND THEY ARE HELD IN VERY FIRMLY.

I WILL LIKELY USE SILICONE ON THE TAIL TEMPORARILY BECAUSE I PLAN TO USE RE MAGNETS ON THE TAIL WHEN I GET HOME FROM WEASELFEST 2009.
THIS IS THE ONLY MOD I THINK IS MISSING FROM AN OTHERWISE PERFECT KIT.

TIME FOR BED AS THE GLUES SET UP AND I'LL FINISH IN THE MORNING AND HOPE TO MAIDEN FRIDAY PM SO I'LL BE READY TO SOAR WITH THE BEST AT THE FEST
Last edited by rarner; Apr 24, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:30 AM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,128 Posts
Had similar thoughts about the clear belly pan when I saw it, looks good.
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:59 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,561 Posts
Looking good so far! I was wondering when the first build thread for this sloper would come up.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:16 AM
Breaker of wind and wings
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Injection molded EPP ? - SWEET

My old-school weasel is jealous

,....must resiiissssstttt ,......damn ! - oh well - looks like I might be ponying up the cash for one of those new-fangled weasels soon.

-Konajoe
Konajoe is offline Find More Posts by Konajoe
Old Apr 24, 2009, 03:45 AM
USA, HI, Kalaoa
Joined Apr 2009
79 Posts
Dear rarner; You will have to fly for me my weasel is in ps that is postal service. The check is in the mail. I hit the button tax day like I new what I was doing. Been waiting over a year I think. Its mine, Its mine yes haha. Also does anyone know when the cape blanco fly thing is? Aloha the flying fool Loren
flying fool is offline Find More Posts by flying fool
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:27 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,622 Posts
Looks nice... anybody know if the airfoils have been tweaked, or is it aerodynamically the same as the old version (except for the profiled fin)?
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:31 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
989 Posts
removable fin

The weasel would be a dream to travel with if we could remove the fin for transportation in the original box.

Is it already a case with the current kit or is the fin glued definitively on the fuselage ?

Pierre
who ordered 4 Weasel EVO kit for him and his clubmates
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Old Apr 24, 2009, 08:39 AM
Joined Dec 2006
209 Posts
weasel evo

i stopped by rarner s place last evening to check out this build

the plane looks great seems like a fairly easy build he is bringing mine back
from weasel fest for me (THANK YOU RARNER) im sure we will be chasing each other around the local skies pretty soon we have already midaired a
couple of planes so rarner i hope you build your weasel really tough LOL

great build have fun at wf tomorrow

newtohelis
newtohelis is offline Find More Posts by newtohelis
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prondel
The weasel would be a dream to travel with if we could remove the fin for transportation in the original box.

Is it already a case with the current kit or is the fin glued definitively on the fuselage ?

Pierre
who ordered 4 Weasel EVO kit for him and his clubmates
The fin is easily removable. It slides in with a tab on the top so that it needs to slide forward to come off. Only needs a small bit of tape- included in the kit- to secure it for flight. A r.e. magnet set would work too. The tape is lighter and might secure better for lateral forces, imho.
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:15 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
I can't wait to see it fly in person! I'll be buying one shortly!
anyairrc is offline Find More Posts by anyairrc