HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
You won't be disappointed with it, it flies great. Have you decided on what motors yet?
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,022 Posts
I just got mine also, i have two tango 45-06 sitting here, decided to put them in.
Spinning 11x7 3-blades on 6S using ICELite75, should do the job.

Hugo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Im leaning towards a similar setup, 6s, 2-3s in series, (one day I hope to own a brushless Traxxas Summit so this will be a great dual battery setup). The prop size im not sure, I read that 11.5" or so is about scale size so maybe 11 or 12, 3 bladed. Thinking of 60 size motors for the pure benefit of overkill. Roughly the same cost vs a 46 via HobbyKing. The 60 size could also come in handy if I decide to go with a large warbird in the future, never say never right? Im definitely going to take my time and enjoy this as thoroughly as possible. Aiming for a Feb 1st maiden on a frozen lake just around the corner from my place, Ive seen videos of it flying on snow and WOW, so awesome.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13 View Post
Im leaning towards a similar setup, 6s, 2-3s in series, (one day I hope to own a brushless Traxxas Summit so this will be a great dual battery setup). The prop size im not sure, I read that 11.5" or so is about scale size so maybe 11 or 12, 3 bladed. Thinking of 60 size motors for the pure benefit of overkill. Roughly the same cost vs a 46 via HobbyKing. The 60 size could also come in handy if I decide to go with a large warbird in the future, never say never right? Im definitely going to take my time and enjoy this as thoroughly as possible. Aiming for a Feb 1st maiden on a frozen lake just around the corner from my place, Ive seen videos of it flying on snow and WOW, so awesome.
60 size work just fine in this plane, just use throttle management. I'd rather have more motor and not use it all than less motor and wish I had more.
I flew my maiden off of snow last winter. I'd just recommend at least 3" of snow for a cushion since it has a fiberglass fuse.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, WA, East Wenatchee
Joined Oct 2007
293 Posts
subscribed!!
jeff reeves is offline Find More Posts by jeff reeves
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
So the version from nitro planes that has the gear included...how does the front wheel axle hole seal up to fly off water?
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
So the version from nitro planes that has the gear included...how does the front wheel axle hole seal up to fly off water?
It doesn't. My guess is if you put the gear on it you don't fly it off water.

Actually I did give it some consideration for mine. Best idea I came up with was, when you removed the front gear to fly off water, plug the hole in the fuselage with a rubber stopper. I didn't care for that idea for two reasons. One, if it ever came out the fuselage starts flooding with water, and two, beings it's a fiberglass fuselage I don't think a hole drilled in it with a plug going in and out of it on a regular basis would hold up very well. Of course the biggest draw back to removing the nose gear to fly off water was the hassle of dealing with the nose gear steering. My suggestion is to either put the gear on an stick to flying off land, or leave it off and fly off water (the best way). or snow.

(
Last edited by Herman Munster; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:11 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
It doesn't. My guess is if you put the gear on it you don't fly it off water.

Actually I did give it some consideration for mine. Best idea I came up with was, when you removed the front gear to fly off water, plug the hole in the fuselage with a rubber stopper. I didn't care for that idea for two reasons. One, if it ever came out the fuselage starts flooding with water, and two, beings it's a fiberglass fuselage I don't think a hole drilled in it with a plug going in and out of it on a regular basis would hold up very well. Of course the biggest draw back to removing the nose gear to fly off water was the hassle of dealing with the nose gear steering. My suggestion is to either put the gear on an stick to flying off land, or leave it off and fly off water (the best way). or snow.
I would want to fly mostly from water but I would also like to fly from land as I am not at the lake too often.

I am surprised that they would have landing gear available but then not able to use off water after installing the gear.

When you say put the gear on a stick, what do you mean?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:52 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
I am looking at flying only off water, but the only version available at this point is the one with the gear. Are there any differances in the fuse with gear? recesses and such? Can I just leave off the gear and save the hassle of leaks?
Thanks!
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
I am looking at flying only off water, but the only version available at this point is the one with the gear. Are there any differances in the fuse with gear? recesses and such? Can I just leave off the gear and save the hassle of leaks?
Thanks!
Yea, it's ready to fly off the water the way it comes, just leave the gear off. There is no difference in the planes, they just include a set of gear and charge a few bucks more.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
I would want to fly mostly from water but I would also like to fly from land as I am not at the lake too often.

I am surprised that they would have landing gear available but then not able to use off water after installing the gear.

When you say put the gear on a stick, what do you mean?

Thanks for the quick reply!
I didn't say it couldn't be done but it isn't just a simple bolt the gear on and fly off land then remove them and fly off water. The issue is with the nose gear. You are going to have to figure out a way to seal up the fuselage where the nose gear strut protrudes through when you remove it to fly off water.
I didn't say put the gear on a stick, go reread that sentence.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
I didn't say it couldn't be done but it isn't just a simple bolt the gear on and fly off land then remove them and fly off water. The issue is with the nose gear. You are going to have to figure out a way to seal up the fuselage where the nose gear strut protrudes through when you remove it to fly off water.
I didn't say put the gear on a stick, go reread that sentence.

My suggestion is to either put the gear on an stick to flying off land,
Oh. AND stick to flying off land. Not put the the gear on a stick. Late night reading error. My sincere apologies.

Anyone use both gear and fly off water? Maybe us silicone to plug gear hole when converting and remove silicone to put gear back on.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
It could be done with a plug of some sort. You'd have to be sure it was going to be very secure and not come out. The reason I didn't want to do it was the hassle of removing the nose gear and the nose gear steering in-order to fly off water and then have to reinstall it to fly off land.
If you want a true CL-415 that's capable of flying off land or water check out the kit by MR Aerodesign
https://mraerodesign.securicom.ca/en...m?RubriqueID=4
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:51 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
It could be done with a plug of some sort. You'd have to be sure it was going to be very secure and not come out. The reason I didn't want to do it was the hassle of removing the nose gear and the nose gear steering in-order to fly off water and then have to reinstall it to fly off land.
If you want a true CL-415 that's capable of flying off land or water check out the kit by MR Aerodesign
https://mraerodesign.securicom.ca/en...m?RubriqueID=4
That's a beautiful model but I would be better off buying 2 of the NP versions. 1 water and 1 land.

Thanks for the info HM. Being in Canada NP won't ship it to me, but may have to order it to my US address and pick it up.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:02 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
Quote:
That's a beautiful model but I would be better off buying 2 of the NP versions. 1 water and 1 land.

Thanks for the info HM. Being in Canada NP won't ship it to me, but may have to order it to my US address and pick it up.
Well if you have any doubts about buying the plane, don't. It's a very nice flying plane and with the use of the flaps, has some nice slow flight characteristics. Also, it flies equally as good off of snow as it does off water.