HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2007, 06:13 AM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
Help!
been looking for 1/2A SST's plans or re-kit.

Anyone know where can I find at or someone still re-kit the 1/2A SST( Super Sport Trainer) Hobby Shack or plans. Thanks for help and looking. T'care

FlyNow,LandLater.
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2007, 08:08 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Try the Ace High MK II outboards. The 1/2 A SST used tapered foam wings very similar to Ace, although using much lighter foam.

http://www.dbalsa.com

Plans: http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...5YHHE4nyY2Z958

Oops! Maybe my memory is going. That picture shows a straight not tapered wing. In that case use the center section for the Ace High, and cut to fit.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Last edited by madsci_guy; Jan 23, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
179 Posts
madsci guy, Thanks for help and found the RCM's plans, been looking for Foam Wing by ACE. No more ACE Foam Wing Kit. Ace high MK II-out of production. I will keep looking.
thanks again madsci guy......

FNLL.
FlyNow,LandLater is offline Find More Posts by FlyNow,LandLater
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:55 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I just checked and It looks to me like ehobbies still has the Ace wing sets both tapered and Constant chord. They show to be 30 percent off. $6.99 for a set of one or the other.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:47 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
It's all coming back to me now

If you find real Ace foam wings, I would not sheet them with balsa like the SST plans call out. I would just reinforce them with 3/4 inch strapping tape, one loop all the way around the wing at the thickest part of the airfoil, and add a small balsa trailing edge, to mount the ailerons. If memory serves the Ace foam wings had a smaller chord width than the wings supplied by Hobby Shack. The Hobby Shack wings also had the thickest part of the wing farther back than the ace. They were a bit more of a speed wing. You could play the GLH game and sand the top leading edge of the Ace wing a little to move the thickest part back a little and gain some speed. The SST foam wings were hot wired from light foam and were much more flimsy than the ACE, and needed the balsa LE and TE strips. If you do that to the Ace wings, they get way too heavy. Building the SST as light as possible was key to it flying well. I would think that with today's micro radios, a 10 oz all up airplane would be possible. A 14 oz airplane would be a dog.

Be sure to use Solarfilm, Econocote, or some similar low temp covering. Monocote will melt your bare foam wings.

It's been a long time, but I think the tapered wing version of the SST was called a Hornet(?). Hobby Shack (Hobby People, now) made a .09 version and a .25 too if memory serves. The 1/2A SST wasn't exactly a floater trainer, but did make a nice transition plane to the Ace Pacer, Mach None, and GLH.

Now a GLH, THAT'S terror in a box. 100 mph on a TD .049. Saw the designer, George Kurreck fly one once. Unbelievable. But for sheer fun the Mach None was tops.

A discussion on Ace Wing replacements. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392810
Last edited by madsci_guy; Jan 24, 2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:41 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
It's been a long time, but I think the tapered wing version of the SST was called a Hornet(?).
The HORNET was a different design -- wing planform was constant chord and used a very low percentage flat bottom airfoil. It was small and quite quick.

The SST is an excellent intermediate plane. eHobbies wings are lighter and made from a less dense foam than the original ACE wings, so some structural support is needed. Go the ehobbies.com and search for part # AS6074.

If you can't find a suitable foam wing, a built up wing is relatively simple. The SST plans have the wing cross section drawn on them that may be used for a rib template. A few parallel lines and rib locations drawn on freezer paper is all that's needed for a build up.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Last edited by Andrew0820; Jan 24, 2007 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:10 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,271 Posts
Memory jogger ! This one is still alive after about 10 years of knock-about in the heather. The foam wings are part sheeted (L.E.) with false ribs in 1/16th strips to give the impression of a built-up wing. Goes well with a Norvel 061 too. Was it`s big brother not called an SST ? OOps posted it inverted...anybody rotate it for a computer novice, please ?
arrow5 is online now Find More Posts by arrow5
Last edited by arrow5; Jan 24, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Yeah, I remember that Hornet, thanks. Kinda like a Chuck'r. I guess I can't remember what the thing was called. Blame it on faulty memory. Yes the original SST was a larger version that came out first. It had landing gear. It was .25 sized and later a .40 version came out. And I think I have a .09 version buried in my kit pile somewhere. It's called an SST09.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBBY-SHACK-SST-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:38 AM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
Go to www.Ulmer-RC.com and look for the DNU plans. I believe PTU designed the airfoil to be quite close, if not the same as, the Ace foam wing airfoil. Also the NACA 2415 is supposed to be quite similar to the Ace airfoil.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:41 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,600 Posts
MadSci --

I knew the SST had been kitted, but didn't know it was available in so many different sizes - thanks for the info and link.

ARROW5 --

The nice thing about partial sheeting and capstrips is being able to use amost any of the plastics and not having to worry about having a pebbled finish or melting the underlying foam. However, on planes of this size, you can fully sheet the wing with 1/32" and not add significant weight -- just be careful with the amount of adhesive.

I have never been very satisfied with mylar directly over foam -- I invariably end up with some pullup and a rough surface.

HF -

You're correct in that the DNU is very close to the NACA 2415, if not exact - the thickness is dead on 15%. I don't think the cross section drawn on the 1/2A SST plan is exact -- it seems to be approximated with a french curve rather than plotted - maybe because they expected the builder to use the foam wing. However, if I built another wing, I think I might drop back to a NACA 2414 or maybe a 2413.

andrew
Last edited by Andrew0820; Jan 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
The big difference in the foam wings that Ace supplied and the ones in the Hobbyshack 1/2A kits was mainly density. Ace injection molded their wings and as madsci_guy pointed out the SST wings were cut from a larger block. This makes them much lighter by being lese dense but the tradeoff was a weaker panel that needed more reinforcement.

The foam wings offered by ehobbies from what I hear are hot wired from larger stock like the SST's and as I have read, much lighter than the original Ace offerings but are otherwise the same dimensions to use in place of the Ace wings. This of course is for the large offerings of plans still available from the magazines that published them.
The ehobbies wings will require more reinforcement because of the lighter density.

As for covering I recomend Doculam as it is much lighter ( one third the weight of opaque Monokote) and is completly fuel proof as is all Mylar films. It goes on clear but it can be painted inside on the adhesive side or on the outside if you prefer. Just don't overdo the paint or you will wind up with more weight than you should. You could even make it heavier than the monokote if you get really sloppy with it.

Do a search on Doculam to find the big threads that tell more.

Robert
Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:58 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
Andrew -

I started a re-design of Half-A-Hec's Re-V-Amped and changed the airfoil to a NACA 2412. I've been told on 1/2A sized planes and smaller that the thinner airfoils in the 10% to 13% region seem to work the best since they have less drag and provide a flatter glide. I've also done the same on the LST variant of Hec's. I figure I'll use it as a test bed to prove the flight characteristics with a simple boxed fuselage before committing to the more complex curved fuselage of Re-V-Amped.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:20 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Hey! Another figure nine champ!

Maybe we should start a club?
Last edited by madsci_guy; Jan 24, 2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Too raucous
Old Jan 24, 2007, 06:11 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
I started a re-design of Half-A-Hec's Re-V-Amped and changed the airfoil to a NACA 2412. I've been told on 1/2A sized planes and smaller that the thinner airfoils in the 10% to 13% region seem to work the best since they have less drag and provide a flatter glide.
Hogflyer
Hi HF --

I completely agree with your assessment of a thinner airfoil -- for most of our flying, we really don't get much benefit from the slow speed characteristics of the thicker sections and drag is a killer. The 2412 is certainly thick enough to give structural support, especially with shear webs added halfway out the panels.

When you get along in your drawings, I'd like to see them.

andrew
Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Hogflyer, another benefit of the thinner airfoil would be wind penetration and as the Re-V-Amped has already proven it did that very well. You might try the thinner to see if it does better but the original. After what I have seen of it I would not change a thing. Uh except I would have chosen a darker color than yellow for visibility as it was pretty quick! For those who have not seen this amazing little plane, here is a peek

Robert