HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:39 AM
USA, GA, Villa Rica
Joined Nov 2003
380 Posts
Fixture for cutting grooves in motor shafts - AND MORE

Hi ,
I posted the complete thread in Power systems, but this Dremel tool holder works great for cutting grooves in motor shafts , creating setscrew flats, and sanding down the OD on a stator.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...92#post3475292
qy8flyer is offline Find More Posts by qy8flyer
Last edited by qy8flyer; Mar 19, 2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: changed the titled
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2005, 07:31 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
Cool.. I've used a similiar idea for cutting slits in homemade collets for my cnc spindle... clamping the dremel to the toolpost and moving it left/right whilst under power.

Works great!
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Mar 20, 2005, 08:04 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
Cool.. I've used a similiar idea for cutting slits in homemade collets for my cnc spindle... clamping the dremel to the toolpost and moving it left/right whilst under power.

Works great!
Evidently this idea pops up often!

For many years the dremel WAS my "machine shop." Now that I actually have a machine shop, the Dremel is STILL one of my most used tools, save I now have half dozen of them (G)
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:34 AM
Switzerland
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
Nice work! I have seen similar devices for the Proxxon tool common here in Europe. The difference is that the Proxxon is light and has a standardized 20mm metal nosepiece designed to be used as a clamping area for the tool.
My attempt to build a similar thing for my Dremel failed miserably (probably mostly due to my lousy machining and measuring abilities).
Now that my workshop (garage) is slowly thawing I will try again to build such a support, but first a few dumb questions:
Is there a support somewhere out of the picture that holds the weight of the tool body? I get the feeling that the whole thing would be rather wobbly just hanging by that 1/4" of plastic screw threads.
What pitch is the standard Dremel thread? Being 'imperially challenged' I only have metric pitch gages and could not determine the thread by holding a ruler to that awful molded plastic part.
How did you cut the thread in the aluminum mount? Drill the hole with the bit in the lathe chuck to ensure proper height and then put the mount in the 4-jaw, center and cut the inside thread? Or is there an easier way?

Regards
Peter
pkapp is offline Find More Posts by pkapp
Old Mar 21, 2005, 03:14 PM
USA, GA, Villa Rica
Joined Nov 2003
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkapp
Is there a support somewhere out of the picture that holds the weight of the tool body? I get the feeling that the whole thing would be rather wobbly just hanging by that 1/4" of plastic screw threads.

No, support, the dremel is in the threaded hole pretty snug, I have only cut 3mm shaft, so maybe if we get to larger stock , it might be needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkapp
What pitch is the standard Dremel thread?
I am pretty sure its 3/4 -12, thats what my buddy told me who made the adapter. I think it was drilled and tapped in a block of aluminum then milled to shape.

Dave
qy8flyer is offline Find More Posts by qy8flyer