HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:07 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Make sure you preflight real well

I think the most important part of having a successful flight is preflighting every last bit.
So far on my eco 8 i've learned of all the things that can go wrong and now i check it before i start up.
A couple of examples:

I checked my battery lead right before i lifted off, i had already started the motor. The connection was barely together, stopped it from seperating in flight.

Found one blade to be loose

Throttle hold was on

TR servo reversed

Lastly, and my favorite- the heli was turned off. So nothing was responding, andi started to panic, thinking it was broken.

Here's what happens when i forgot to preflight.

Some how the tailboom shifted and the TR belt was very loose. It started up fine, but when i lifted off and some load came on to the tail, the belt started slipping. And the tail spun around in slow motion as i fought to keep it in place. then the belt gave completly and down it came. Rigth on to asphult. Some how i just scrapped the blade tips and that was it for damage.

fly safe

aazam
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:47 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined May 2003
153 Posts
Always do a radio range check before flying every day. I'd rather crash due to pilot error rather than a radio failure.

Matt
mattweisz is offline Find More Posts by mattweisz
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:05 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
My failure to pre-flight check resulted in a cracked rib !

I pre-flighted and noticed a ball link on the elevator servo had worked through the servo horn. I replaced the servo horn but hadn't lined it up correctly and then placed the heli on the shelf. A few days later I went to fly and if I had pre-flighted I would of noticed that the elevator servo was not central and was pulling back the swashplate. I punched the heli into the air and the thing came back at me with my back taking the full impact of the CF rotors
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:14 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,789 Posts
ouch! sorry to hear that malc. lucky that's all that happened though.

one thing i always do before spinning up the motor is check to make sure all servos are working properly. i move the collective up and down, and the cyclic in a circle, and i move the rudder servo right/left. you don't want to take off with a bad servo. seen it happen before.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Oh, radio checking. Forgot that one.

Better go do that.

Malc- That must of hurt! I just cringe at that thought. I had my blades hit me in my legs once, left a nice bruise.

aazam
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:55 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,822 Posts
Aazam,

Now I don't bruise easily, and this was the result after a few days, the top mark is where it cracked a rib, you can clearly make out the long thin purple line where the leading edge of the blades struck ! (sorry the image is not very flattering )

Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jul 21, 2004, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Oh man!! Cracked a rib, dang. I had no idea they could do that much damage. My bruise wasnt nearly that big, i just had a line where the blade hit.

I'm glad it didnt hurt you any worse.

aazam