HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Discussion
YF-22 Out of the Attic a George Miller kit

Here is a George Miller F-22 kit I got a year or so ago. Well just pulled it out to try and get this model started up in the build que. I was thinking about trying that bigger JF Fan when available since this model that I have has no ducting. But I'm sure with a lip on the intake I would have plenty of power. Going to try to stay simple as I want the modern looks with just the basic controls. Keeping servos to a minimum. Well here I go again.
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jefffassbinder; Sep 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:10 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,966 Posts
I remember George flying his alot. Nice jet. Why not just use a Byron fan?
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:12 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Byron

Well Bob, I do have a Bryon already to go that is in my Byron F-16 but it's the only one I have. Well it could be loaned to another plan in the shop if needed. Would do great on a simple 12s setup. I wonder how it will hold up to todays power systems?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2014, 03:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Colors

Does anyone have the colors FS numbers for the F22???
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:10 AM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
951 Posts
Any plastic model review you can find on the net should list the FS colors that the builder used. Ill take a look and list them for ya.

Try this, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...aptor-colours/

copied from another modeling forum post
>FS 36251 - base grey
>FS 36176 - Darker shade for the camo patterns
>FS 36375 - Lighter shade I used around the canopy frame. It can also be used as the light grey trim around the wings and tail surfaces if you plan to do a color scheme later than Raptor 02.
sam51401 is online now Find More Posts by sam51401
Last edited by sam51401; Sep 24, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Thanks Sam

I've been looking around at some more pictures. Also look around at the plastic kits as mentioned by Sam. I have first hand images and when looking at it close up this year it almost had some very metallic looking finish. Also note the under belly and the almost reflective type pant on the bottom of wings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:05 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,532 Posts
Jeff I thought the miller model was the YF-22?
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:45 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder View Post
Well Bob, I do have a Bryon already to go that is in my Byron F-16 but it's the only one I have. Well it could be loaned to another plan in the shop if needed. Would do great on a simple 12s setup. I wonder how it will hold up to todays power systems?
I have adapters on the way, will be here on Friday. Fan should not be hard to fine. The are a couple on E-bay right now. Rotor should do fine with today's power system. I'm using the Hacker A50-10L Turnado on 12S. Finishing up a F-16 then I have an F-86 to get on.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Plane classification

Robert,

Yes this is the YF-22 but I will paint and model after the F-22. This models is going to be I hope a fun model. I not sure about speed but very interested in it's slow flight ability. Well have to finish and do some construction on the tail sections then get a better feel of direction for this model.

But it will be E, it may have a Byron, or maybe a JF130?

Well just depends on what I have at time of completion. I'll just enjoy the relaxation of the sanding and thinking about how things will come together for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2014, 02:24 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,518 Posts
Jeff,
Looking forward to seeing its completion. It's a super light construction...should be a great performer!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Sep 24, 2014, 04:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,849 Posts
saw both the madien of the full scale YF-22 and early flights of Millers plane at one of the first Best in the west jet meets at Edwards on rosamond dry lake.it flew very well Jeff i think that 22 we saw at chino had different colors on it compared to the early F-22's . i believe it did have a metallic look to it
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Sep 24, 2014, 08:57 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,846 Posts
Jeff if you need any help with the colors let me know. Here is my yellow F22 colors.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:28 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,814 Posts
The earlier F-22 had a metallic look to them, if the light hit them right The paint was later changed to make it more stealth and easier to maintain.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/...a53b0b32_b.jpg
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Gun

Your F-22 is amazing! Those flight shots are really nice. Well I don't think mine will be as cool as yours but will fill the bill for some EDF. Like the flare on final. I hope I'm able to hold the nose on touch down like that.

Well still have to do some building as I want to put in rudders and also would like like to use them as drag on landing. I'll have to see if it is effective. I have a twin tail model that I've done this and cause the nose to pitch up and slow while maintaining throttle and elevator. If it doesn't like it upstairs I'll just remove the mix program.

More wet sanding. Going to re-hinge the ailerons. Still need to get to aircraft spruce to get some west systems for glassine the verticals and stabs. Also need to install hard points in the stabs and pin.

Well there is more but need to break it up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,195 Posts
Flipped

Started sanding bottom of wing doing some fill in dents and stuff. Also intake filled in to try to smooth out a little. I need to do some sanding. If anyone has plans for this could you share cg location and also maybe a picture of the pivot mechanism for the stabs. Just wondering what the plan had in mind. I removed the hollow rods and changed out for some aluminum solid rods on tail and vertical. Nothing glued but would like to see the method on plans if anyone has them. Or I'll make the similar to my JHH A7 stabs. Seem to work well.
RCG Plus Member