459 Posts
Thanks, Andy!
HotdogX is offline Find More Posts by HotdogX
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:52 AM
Where's all the wind gone
Melbourne, Australia.
Joined May 2006
142 Posts
A Fantastic build and well deserved, successful maiden!

I think the lack of trim adjustment was a tribute to the quality of the builder and not just luck.

Now you can just enjoy flying her.

Shane.
ShaneW is offline Find More Posts by ShaneW
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:18 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
586 Posts
Congrats! A way to go! It has been a pleasure to be able follow along your quality build!

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:57 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
725 Posts
Congrats, Al. Beautiful bird as usual. Looking forward to seeing her fly at the event next month.
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:29 AM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys! It is going to be a lot of fun flying her with all of my aerotow friends and their sailplanes and towplanes.

Al
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:35 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
1/3 Cherokee RM Maiden Flight Video Clips

Thanks to some of my friends I now have some video clips from the Cherokee RM maiden flight to share:

First clip is the maiden takeoff shot by John Chapman:
Cherokee RM maiden flight takeoff (0 min 38 sec)

Second clip is the maiden landing shot by John Mears (sleep4 on RCG):
Cherokee RM maiden landing (0 min 24 sec)

Third clip is the maiden landing shot by John Chapman:
Cherokee RM maiden flight landing (0 min 26 sec)

Fourth clip is a walkaround shot by John Chapman:
Cherokee RM walkaround (1 min 35 sec)

Fifth clip is another takeoff later in the afternoon shot by John Chapman:
Cherokee RM another takeoff (1 min 4 sec)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:53 PM
landings=takeoffs=good
Harvest, AL
Joined Jan 2008
210 Posts
You really have to see Al's work up close. As good as the pictures are, you will be amazed at the attention to the detail. WOW! And it flies great!!! I know because he let me fly it. Yes, you should be jealous........

I had a great time hauling up the RM Sunday. By the end of the day the new carb was dialed in and the smoke was gone. Big D (the tow plane) was running great and ready to tow at the Oct areotow.

Tim
Battman540 is offline Find More Posts by Battman540
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:54 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
Aw shucks, Tim. Thanks for the kind words!

Man, I have to tell you Tim's Big D really hauls butt with the RM behind it! I had some trepidation before the maiden flight about putting a 16.2 lb sailplane behind a tug with 85 lbs static thrust. Fortunately the RM handles well on tow and did OK. But to show how fast we were going, each time I released I gained another 200' of altitude just burning off all that speed. I wouldn't want to tow any faster!

Al
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Cherokee RM

Al,
Beautiful !!!! I can't wait to see more RM's in the air.
Marc B is offline Find More Posts by Marc B
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:25 PM
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
Speaking of more RMs in the air, a while ago I contacted Marc Beaupre at Scalesailplanekits.com re his laser cut kits for the Cherokee II. He mentioned that he was working with you and your plans for the RM. Are there going to be any mods to your plans before he starts cutting them? Do you have any idea when he'll start producing those kits? I'll be the first to order one. My dad built and flew a full size Cherokee II when I was very young. I've been wanting to build a 1/3 scale RC version of his plane, and when I saw you were making the RM version I decided to wait. Beautiful job on your RM. I've enjoyed watching the progress.
Acchamp is offline Find More Posts by Acchamp
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:25 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
Thanks, Marc! I hope there will be folks lining up to get your short kits. I'd love to see some more RMs in the air.

Al
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:31 PM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
Acchamp,

Thanks! Marc has the latest laser files that I sent to him, and also the latest plans. The plans I posted yesterday are the final versions - Marcs kits will be cut from those plans, and he can also include plans with the kits. Not sure when Marc will be releasing the kits - he is tied up at present putting on an aerotow event - but I think he will be getting the kits out soon. You might want to drop him a line at marcslasershop@gmail.com and give him some encouragement.

Just curious, what was the N number on your Dad's Cherokee II, and what was your Dad's name? As you probably know, Tony Condon has a database of pretty much all the Cherokees that were built, so he might have a photo in there of your Dad's.

Al
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
My Dad's name is Richard Nelson. I grew up at 1728 Oceanaire Dr in San Luis Obispo, Ca., so the N# was N1728. Hows that for being original. I checked Tony's site and loved following his restoration. The plane is on the registry. I think my Dad's plans were to donate it to a museum in Iowa. A good friend of ours who is an A&P looked at it and said it could be flying without too much effort. Its been stored this whole time in the trailer my Dad built for it and is still on our property. Personally I would have LOVED to keep it in the family and get it back in the air. I lost my medical a few years back, which i need to get back so I can get back in the air. I'd love to get a sailplane rating and fly it. How cool would that be. I sent Tony an email a few months back with some recent pictures of the plane and a brief history of it. I didnt hear back from him and didnt want to bug him any more, so I didnt try and contact him any further. We live near Visalia Ca. Last year at the RC aero tow event my Dad and I met Dean (I forget his last name. Gradwell?) the man from Oregon who restored an imaculate Cherokee II. He spent a lot of time talking to us about his plane, and graciously listened to my Dad's stories of his. It made my Dad's day and I really appreciated him taking the time.
Acchamp is offline Find More Posts by Acchamp
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 AM
If it flies I like it.
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2004
459 Posts
Adam,

You don't need a medical to fly sailplanes! You just have to sign something that basically says "I have no known medical defects that prevent me from safely flying a glider.", or words to that effect. Heck, you ought to get a glider rating and fly your Dad's Cherokee if it will pass inspection. The Cherokee is a good flying glider. I had lots of fun with my full scale Cherokee and got my FAI silver Badge with it.

Dean Gradwell's is certainly the best looking Cherokee II ever! really beautiful covering job.

Al