HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,824 Posts
I am anxious to see it sailing. It looks good with the Vic sails on it.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:15 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
J ready to test

I finished putting the sheeting control lines on today and made a new sail arm while I was at it.

I figure the sail area of the Vic should be about 433 sq in. The boats ready to go in the water weights in at 5 lbs. I'll know more after sailing it if it should be heavier or lighter. I'll bring some extra weight with me when I go for a test run probably Thursday.

The hull still needs to be painted, but I can run it like it is for a test.

Rick

Update winds in the 15-20mph range Thursday. Looks like I'll have to wait and test the boat Sunday.
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Last edited by Fairwind900; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
Looks great.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:55 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Test sail

I was planning on going Thursday to test my new J 36" boat, but we had too much wind for the first sail. Today seamed okay so I ran over to the pond around 1pm.

The wind was spotty but at times a good strong breeze. I figure between 2-9 mph. As the wind was strong when I got there I tightened up the back stay, brought the jib boom sheet in so I would back wind the main and kill some of the power. I flattened the jib and put more twist in the main.

I tossed the boat in and found it was healing way too much for comfort. I brought it back in and tossed in a bunch of lead I brought for testing. I added 1# 5.5 oz to the hull bringing to 6# 5.5 oz or so. I watched the boat in the stand after adding the weight and it was standing up to the wind much better. (less tender) So back in she went.

WOW!!! She was standing up and sailing. She sailed a straight line and turned nicely. I was very impressed. I am very happy with the sail area at around 433 sq inches being a Victoria sail rig.

I gave a phone call to Dennis to let him know I was at the pond and let him know the boat was sailing well. I now will have to prove it again on Sunday.

At some point my rear hatch blew off, no big deal! I figured I made it! I could make another. Later on I found the rear hatch blown to shore in some leaves. Whew, didn't really want to build another. It was just my "Macho" speaking of making another...

The winds went up and down and I found I didn't want to stop the test sail. I didn't make any further adjustments today with the sails. I probably should have as the wind let up. I probably should have powered it up and loosened the back stay.

When I brought in the boat at the end of the day, I adjusted the rudder some to get it closer to sailing center instead of bench center. The hull was bone dry. Yeah!!!! I need to paint the hull on mine yet and build it it's own sails and rigging.

After sailing the boat I can say I'm much happier with it than I expected. I may even become a true J boat fan. You are going to love yours. So get building.

I took some video today I'll see if I can get it posted to Youtube. I'm going to fire my camera man, wait, it was me... Never mind.

J 36 first time Plaza Park Pond .MOV (1 min 51 sec)

Sierra MYC 36 J boat going around mark.MOV (1 min 39 sec)

36 J boat trail run 2nd pass.MOV (2 min 6 sec)

Rick
Last edited by Fairwind900; Dec 03, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:43 PM
Tehachapi, CA
Joined Jul 2007
194 Posts
She's beautiful Rick!!! Ya put her together pretty quickly, and she sails great. Good incentive to get both our scales of "J"s on the water!!! Nice shots. Looks like Dennis has a hit on his hands, again nice boat. Ron
blckgnx is offline Find More Posts by blckgnx
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:59 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,310 Posts
She looks beautiful on the water.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:48 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Looks great Rick!! It looks like she sails very well It looks like I'll probably be using a similar sized sailplan as yours on mine(I'll have to build mine from scratch tho'). Keep the pix & vids coming - the more I learn from yours, the less trial & error I'll have to go through

Erle
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:14 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,824 Posts
Rick,

The boat looks and sails very good. I think once people see how nice the small "J" boats handle they will be very popular. The one thing I noticed with my "J" boat is it turns on a dime compared to the EC-12 I had. Plus they are easy on the back and easy to transport.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
I didn't get to go sailing yesterday because I had a truck full of banana trees, so I did my mods on my "J". I lowered the CG by adding 6 oz of BBs, lowered the sail servo, and shortened the mast. I think I took off about 1/10 of an ounce from the top.
obses4sail is offline Find More Posts by obses4sail
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Ah the tired and true old "I had banana's in the back of my truck excuse".

Boat #2

Hull 1# 2 oz 19% of total weight
Sails 4.8 oz 5%
Servos 2.5 oz 3%
Battery 3.9 oz 4%
Ballast 3# 2 oz 52%
Other 1# 8 oz 18%

Other is made up of Deck, deck beams, hardware, glue, paint and varnish
6 lbs overall.

Rick
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
from the same mold

I didn't get to go sailing with my friends yesterday, but I did get the deck on the winged J (yes the hull is from the same mold, just I changed the keel and made the beam 7.5")
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:35 PM
Visalia, CA
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
And again I am having a hard time with what I should do for the cockpit and cabin area, any ideas?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
872 Posts
Form follows function

Form follows function isn't that we learned in Art Appreciation? For me I like simple and functional...

Making the hatch opening big enough your hands can get to the sail servo and rudder servo are important. On the J boats they spend a great deal of time with the rails in the water. So making a band around the opening the hatch goes over is important to me too.

You have a good eye for this kind of thing and I'm sure you'll find the right solution.

Rick