HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:45 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,676 Posts
Man, I just started to finally build the two mustangs and wanted a 4 blade . LICobra, what do you recommend I use ? I just blew up a FMS 4 blade on a power 46 ...I guess it don't like 6 cell 2650 mah LOL. I modified a hub and spinner that was balanced and smooth but but centrifugal force was the killer...... Not sure what rpm but I'm sure glad I was behind when all 4 blades cut loose. The FMS v6 and v7 spinners are too big and I don't want to use a thinner apc 4 blade . Tony, any advice?
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2014, 06:27 AM
1BADA$$
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr@sh View Post
Man, I just started to finally build the two mustangs and wanted a 4 blade . LICobra, what do you recommend I use ? I just blew up a FMS 4 blade on a power 46 ...I guess it don't like 6 cell 2650 mah LOL. I modified a hub and spinner that was balanced and smooth but but centrifugal force was the killer...... Not sure what rpm but I'm sure glad I was behind when all 4 blades cut loose. The FMS v6 and v7 spinners are too big and I don't want to use a thinner apc 4 blade . Tony, any advice?
Go with a Varioprop system...I am in the process of looking it up...i have two mustangs that i am going to change out to 4-blade systems.
chamowllie is online now Find More Posts by chamowllie
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:22 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:

Like chamowllie stated a vario prop system is an option but im not familiar with the different shapes of there blades and as far as one piece 4 blade props..... APC's are really the only choice.......as the biela 4 blades are $70 each....... there's not much of a selection......I would go with a Zinger wooden 4 blade as there available in many different diameters and pitches.....but since your using a power 46 (670kv's) I doubt you find a 4 blade to run on 5S or 6S as the pitch would have to be very low just to pull under 100amps on a motor that's only rated for 55amps burst.
To run a 4 blade you'll need a motor that can handle up to 100 amps and a KV rating that will probably fall between 475 to 550 or unfortunately just run a 2 blade with the power 46
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:27 PM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,338 Posts
LiCobra,

Do you figure that new motor you are talking about for the FMS P-51 v8, with an appropriate ESC (80A) and a modded (zip tie mod) FMS 4 bladed prop, would be enough to power this Eflite bird on 4s ?

I'm thinking that prop would look awesome on the plane.

My modded FMS p-51 prop (zip tie) on my FMS p-51B equipped with the sound system works great with tons of power, and the plane weight just 150grams less than my Eflite bird.

I'm thinking it would make scale fly perfect, with a great look as well. The only difficulty would be to adapt the spinner and create a aluminium hub for the prop.
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Old Sep 19, 2014, 09:07 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shung View Post

Do you figure that new motor you are talking about for the FMS P-51 v8, with an appropriate ESC (80A) and a modded (zip tie mod) FMS 4 bladed prop, would be enough to power this Eflite bird on 4s ?
Shung.....unfortunately the FMS 4258 does not have the power to fly the e-flite P-51 on 4S with only 550kv's......it was really meant to be used in 5S to 6S configuration.
My FMS P-51 with the 4258 on 4S is actually slower then the original 540 on 4S.....but the difference is, the 4258 pulls almost 10 less amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2014, 09:26 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,338 Posts
So maybe the original 540 on 4S with the zip tie mod would do it ?

It flies my FMS p-51B with the sound mod, that weights 2700grams with great power.

My Eflite is only 2850grams
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:02 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
I f I had to choose..... I'd use the 580 on 4S with the zip tie instead of the 540....howl does the cowl line up to the spinner ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:17 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,338 Posts
Mine ?

Perfectly. But I haven't tried that motor on that plane yet.

I first would have to made a prop hub and modify an aluminium spinner.

I would also have to make a prop adaptor to use the spinner on this motor

Is the motor axle of the FMS 580 motor the same diameter as the P32 ?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,338 Posts
A few pics taken by my friend at the local rc meeting/airshow today ! Very windy day though.

I really need a pilot, and to make that retract tailwheel though
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Jun 2008
365 Posts
Shung, very, very nice photos of your P-51B. You have not mentioned if your whistle sounds. From your silence on the issue, I assume it does not work in the top location of the scoop where you installed it?

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Old Sep 20, 2014, 02:37 PM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcesR View Post
Shung, very, very nice photos of your P-51B. You have not mentioned if your whistle sounds. From your silence on the issue, I assume it does not work in the top location of the scoop where you installed it?

Roger
Very Honestly there was so much wind (bringing the sound away), plus people talking (speaker with a microphone) plus music that I couldn't have heard it. I didn't even think of it or remember about it, to say the truth.

I'll have to double check that at my rc field next week.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:26 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,676 Posts
Thanks for your input guys . It seems I'm not at installing whistle yet ,LOL! I ordered the 1400 and 1700 FMS blades and also have an few apc 4 blades to try. I had to order the power 45 hub because the collet type had me guessing she will fly off at certain rpm's with the big apc props. Amps are a factor and I'm wondering , would a power 60 work ?....or should I shoot for the 500 kv you mentioned. The only issue I ran into regarding this build was the tail wheel retract. I have both ,robart machanical and a FMS servo-less. I'd love to see how someone managed to have steering and retract tied into rudder servo operating both. each time my gear would retract up the rudder went off center. I also had to flip the FMS retract and make mounting plate . I will try to separate the tailwheel from rudder servo and see if retract and steering works with rudder input. The robart looks like the linkage for steering has an issue with push and pull clearing the frame . I need to see someone eflite mustang setup because I've never had a problem before with any tailwheel assembly in past. My doors on oleo struts and main retract's had to be retrofitted .Everything works sweet with replacement horns and flaps and there is no slop in any of the hs 65mg's . I have two of these kits so hopefully this one won't be scaled so much as for performance being the ticket around a four blade. If it's not to my satisfaction, then the 2 blade 13 x 8 can work on a power 46...... with like a 5 or 6 cell pack LOL! Does apc make a 13 x 10 ...he he ! again thanks for your help LI Cobra and Shung!
Last edited by Cr@sh; Sep 27, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 06:22 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Unfortunately in my case I found a prop I wanted to use (the apc 4 blade that I had to cut down to 13"diameter) then I selected a motor that would spin the prop and still stay with-in max amps of the motor on 4S

The power 60 (470kv) would have been my second choice to the Scorpion.... as the constant current is 65A and the max is 80A..
On e-calc I ran some numbers....you can run a Zinger 13X10 4 blade with the power 60 on 5S and still stay with in the max amps and still get decent speed......as I might try a 13X10 zinger with the scorpion on 5S....

The robart 122 plastic retract was just not strong enough for this application so I removed it after Anthony (All American) came up with the idea of using the FMS tail wheel retract....his retract and linkage fit perfectly and have no vitually no issues with that setup.
The rudder control rod is on the outside and the tail wheel steering rod is on the inside of the servo arm.

Go to his blog page for more pics
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Sep 28, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,676 Posts
Tony , that's exactly what I did right down to the brass adjustable linkage on horn. I did have to flip the mount over and placed it toward front. I may swap around to back cause it just looks stupid, although it still works great works great.. I have the vario hubs and different blades......I definitely won't trust the little bit of plastic that holds the blade in hub at rpms higher than a 3 cell delivers. A 2 or 3 pound plane like my corsair or smaller mustang looks sharp and scale but performance is based on pitch and weight with vario's . They look so cool but I'm going to try cutting down a apc or another FMS 4 blade invention, LOL! come to think about it? before I spooled up my fms before exploding. I might have forgot to really tighten the hub when trying the 6 cell. I have not messed with this project in quite a while and just got tired of looking at the two boxes un assembled.
Old Today, 09:02 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,391 Posts
Quote:
The only issue I ran into regarding this build was the tail wheel retract. I have both ,robart machanical and a FMS servo-less. I'd love to see how someone managed to have steering and retract tied into rudder servo operating both. each time my gear would retract up the rudder went off center.
Terry....From looking at your tail wheel picture....the rudder moves off center when you retract the tail wheel because one of two possibilities .........the machine screw attached to the black control arm (that provides a sliding motion to the hinged clevis in the retracted position) is not long enough.....or if it is long enough, the clevis needs to be adjusted (in the retracted position) so the clevis is in the middle of the slider.......there is not enough free play for the slider to rotate 90* and still have the clevis in a neutral position...thus there is binding and the rudder moves.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LICobra; Today at 09:12 AM.