SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:19 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Tips for strengthening the wing of the Hobby Lobby Eric

I had a pretty nasty crash upstart launching my Hobby Lobby Eric. The wing at the right dihydral (polyhydral wing) was broken.

Plenty of CA later I had the wing reassmbled, but on my first launch after repair the wing folded again, but in a different place (outwards from the repair).

I'm thinking of trading some weight (the plane is very light, about 9oz I believe) for strength in the wing. I almost always upstart it or slope fly the plane so I think it could stand a little extra weight.

One thought was to wrap the leading edge (back to the cross-spars) with light, well squeegeed fiberglass cloth wetted with epoxy. I'd put shear webbing in the outer portion of the wing as well (there is none now).

The other option (a better one I think) would be to CA Carbon fiber strips to the leading edge of the wings. Maybe do about a 3 or 4 inch wrap.

Will this make the plane way too heavy? What are some other suggestions other members might have?

Thanks!
- C

[This message has been edited by Shiver (edited 07-07-2001).]
Shiver is offline Find More Posts by Shiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2001, 12:05 AM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
What is shear webbing anyway?
How about embedding a very thin carbon fiber rod somewhere - I don't know where or how, but would like to. Hope for some more responses.
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Jul 08, 2001, 09:28 AM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Hmmm...how to describe shear webbing...

Shear webbing would describe a material (usually balsa) glued into the horizontal braces behind the leading edge of the wing. Most planes have this but the Eric was built without it for the outer portion of the wings.

I think I'm just going to pick up some of the 1" carbon fiber strips from Hobby Lobby and just build up the leading edge part of the wing using those. That should make it alot stronger without too much weight.

- C
Shiver is offline Find More Posts by Shiver