SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2008, 01:32 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
I went to the field I usually fly at with the ASW-28 and the camera today. The lot was empty except for a few cars at the extreme perimeter. The wind was about 2-4 knots and there were vultures thermalling. This is the first flight with the new motor. As you can see in the video it certainly was eager to climb. I did about 2 laps of the field when all of a sudden... the cops showed up. He asked if I had a permit. I said I am an AMA member if that means anything. He said he didn't know what that meant. I asked for permission to bring the plane in and I did an OK landing. The tail base gelcoat cracked a little more. Anyhow, he told me that I could only fly there on certain days. I said OK which days, he said he didn't know but I should call the Parks Department. I said the AMA lets me fly as long as conditions are safe. He said conditions are not safe, there are vehicles present. I just said OK, have a good day and packed up. All of the vehicles were parked along the far edge of the field and unoccupied. People park there to access the hiking trails in the woods. It's basically a huge abandoned parking lot with a grassy area on one end the size of four or five soccer fields (behind the camera). I rarely ever see anyone at the place. Sometimes I see someone flying an RC plane there on Fridays, mid-day. I will try to call around to see if I can find out what permit he was talking about. He gave me no info. Gotta love living in the USA...too many rules and regs...and lawyers and insurance companies. If you don't play a canned sport here in the US you are discriminated against.

Busted RC Pilot (3 min 30 sec)
CygnusX1 is offline Find More Posts by CygnusX1
Last edited by CygnusX1; Apr 27, 2008 at 02:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2008, 02:11 PM
Nova Scotia, the East Coast NA
Joined May 2005
252 Posts
Hi Dave
Sry to hear that, Experts, Gotta love them, I really wish we could go back to those days when folks . Had an interest.
Don't go back, find another spot , he'll miss you!!!
There must be a field somewhere where you're the only one there.
It's lonely when I fly, maybe thats why I can still fly there, let alone I fly of my property.
Sell him your plane and then he can look forward to having some Fun!
WHacker
whacker is online now Find More Posts by whacker
Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
Camarillo California
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
That sucks, Too many people want to mess up other peoples pleasures if they are not involved themselves. Well here is my first try to post a couple photos. My little room for my projects. The ASW fuse is on the table with a bird of time fuse, and their wings over to the side. Now I should get back to work on it.
Kayaker1 is offline Find More Posts by Kayaker1
Old Apr 27, 2008, 04:05 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
what a load of BS.... they are certianly uneducated on the sport.. it ticks me off hear ing about stuff like this.,.. i mean sure if i took my 30% yak out there i can understand.. but a glider.... idiots..
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:18 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
I am still bitter about the whole situation with the law but some good came out of my 2 minute flight. The new Scorpion motor and 11x6 prop pulls like a train. The plane launched VERY nicely and handled perfectly. Here are some screenshots from the launch.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:09 AM
Joined May 2005
252 Posts
Hi Good Morning from the East of North America.
I've made a new canopy base and affixed a camera..
As you can well imagine I have to reduce some of the nose weight I had to add when using the stock Canopy.
Presently I'm using 5 or 6, 1/2 inch nuts which I've affixed to the inside of the fuselage, up next to the motor,
and as far forward as possible to cut down on the quantity I required...
I'm looking for some ideas for adding and removing weights so I can easily change from Camera Canopy to Stock canopy...
I had thought about a 1/2inch bolt and then add nuts to the bolt as needed.
Also a light tube or maybe 1 on each side of the motor with a cap where i can add some weights....
Regards Walter
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:53 AM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
Walter, I need to take a few pics of my cheap method. I made a strap out of masking tape and used two cardboard tubes integrated for holding copper coins (pennies). The tape is not stuck to the battery. Wrap the battery with the sticky side out for the first wrap so the collar can slide on and off, and along the battery.

I can slide it fore and aft for CG tuning. It fits snugly and does not move during flight or landing. It can be secured with a piece of tape also.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
Joined May 2005
252 Posts
Hi Thanks Dave
I've been trying to keep my weight a little further forward and am using the space to either side of the motor.
I have 6 1/2 nuts at 17 Grams and 4 pieces of lead inside 4 of these at 9 Grams...
I had thought about affixing a tube on either side of the motor , on the fuselage..
I suppose I could then add 3 nuts pus lead into each tube, or less if I use the Camera....
Hold everything captive with some foam in the end...
I find myself taking the battery out when I charge, and would rather not deal with re-taping weight to the battery....
Maybe I've already found the answer!!
WHacker
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:49 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
The weights are not taped to the battery. It's a collar that slides on and off the battery.you can see in the photos that in the first photo, I slid the weight forward and in the second photo I slid it about an inch backwards. The weight harness slips on and off the battery. When I slide the weight harness off of the battery and add the camera in the specific location, the CG does not change.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:41 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
just use cardboard tube or any tube that takes ball sinkers of the appropiates size from your local fishing shop .
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
Sucks about the police kicking you off . But you have the cruiser number plate maybe you could go to the station and get the info regarding this so called permit so you could obtain one if no such permit exsits then show the officer your AMA card and explain your insurance coverage to them. May help then again sounds like he wasnt having a good day.
SteveW
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:22 PM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
Yeah I am starting to cool off and realize that he was just doing his best to keep the peace. He probably had a bad day and I was just next on his list. I am definitely going to seek the legal route and try to either find a local club or learn about the permits that may be required for that field.

I finally cut the rudder post out of my ASW-28 and layed some epoxy around the base of the tail. It did start to develop cracks in the gel-coat. I was able to get a small amount of glass cloth on the bottom of the fuse tail. Hopefully this will kep the cracks from growing too much. If they get larger, I am going to do an external layer of glass around the tail base.

I notice that if you grab the fuse from the front and apply twist to the tail, there is a ton of torsional flex. Any ideas on how to make it more rigid in torsion?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:16 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
The best you can hope for is to get some carbon tow as far in as you can I used wet out tow on the end of a bit of wire with a loop at the end its tricky messy but can be done, just use a slow cure epoxy to give you enough time to get in in there . I then use a plastic tube ( from one of the old kids play tents) and stuff and art brush in to it,
this give the reach to stipple out the carbon tow . you could use glass cut into strips as well which would work . How neat it looks inside doesnt really matter does it?.
As long as it serves the purpose it a messy job worth doing.
SteveW
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
Dave
Putnam Valley, NY
Joined Sep 2007
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
The best you can hope for is to get some carbon tow as far in as you can I used wet out tow on the end of a bit of wire with a loop at the end its tricky messy but can be done, just use a slow cure epoxy to give you enough time to get in in there . I then use a plastic tube ( from one of the old kids play tents) and stuff and art brush in to it,
this give the reach to stipple out the carbon tow . you could use glass cut into strips as well which would work . How neat it looks inside doesnt really matter does it?.
As long as it serves the purpose it a messy job worth doing.
SteveW
LOL, yes messy it is! I made the mistake of using 30min epoxy to try to lay the glass cloth. The brush just kept sticking to the glass cloth and pulling it back out. I need to use the thinner, less sticky, overnight resin next time.

Kayaker1, you are right, the horiz. stab. is pretty beefy. I might buy some balsa and try to make up a new one that is a bit thinner and lighter.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2005
252 Posts
Hi
Dave , does your boom have two bulkheads in it, one at the base of the Vertical fin and the other about 12 inch or so forward with a vertical piece of balsa running between the 2 bulkheads?
This is what mine has, and after doing these reinforcements, by reaching in with various microscopic tools etc , I decided that it was best If I add a gusset at the base leading edge of the Vertical fin where it meets the boom..
A triangle section, about 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 Light ply.. I gut a groove into the boom to be able to mate to the vertical piece of balsa and also shaped this gusset to fit up tight to the leading edge of the vertical fin....
Rough all mating surfaces and then wrap with cloth, resin , epoxy whatever and then sand and shape..
I really think this is a very weak area and suffers from high stress concentrations, on all landings!!
It may seem like drastic initially, but a little smoothing and a spray of white paint and you won't notice the mod!!!
WHacker