HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Aug 2013
130 Posts
Discussion
2014 United States Vintage Model Yachting Days Spt 25th-28th.

I just found out today that there is a national model yachting regatta being held at Marsh Creek State Park in Southeastern Pennsylvania Sept. 25-28th. There is a schooner sub-set to this organization!

I emailed the contact person about the event and to confirm that schooners are a part of this. On Friday morning, of this multiple day event, the schooners are racing.

The schooner rule in the NOR (Notice of Race) is:

Traditional schooners are those built to the original USVMYG schooner rules: That is, a scale model of a real schooner designed or built before 1940, with no design modifications to enhance performance, except that the rudder may be enlarged 50% to enhance steering with radio control. Fin and bulbs will be allowed and will be scored separately.

And, you do not need to be a member of the organization to participate! Although there is a very nice newsletter published 2 to 3 times per year that comes with membership.

The link to the NOR and other docs is:
https://sites.google.com/site/csmycl...vmyg-nationals

You can sign up online which must be done by September 1st.

I'm no racer but it would be fun to participate.
Gammon Iron is online now Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Aug 24, 2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: date
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:05 PM
Joined Aug 2013
130 Posts
I attended the first day and half of this four day event.

The first day was model skipjacks and "others". It was great to see the skipjacks and I have a video of the start of the first of seven wet windy races. Unfortunately, there were no entries in the "other" category. This could have been any vintage designed sailboat that is not a schooner. Schooners had a separate race day which I lamely competed in with my cargo vessel...Chesapeake Bay ram schooner. I posted a brief video of that sailing on its Build Log.

The second video is one of the last starts of the schooners. By this time, the fleet had dwindled down a bit due to weather issues....like me!

AMYA Vintage Regatta The start of a skipjack race. (2 min 21 sec)

American Model Yacht Association Vintage Regatta schooners sailing (3 min 44 sec)
Gammon Iron is online now Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Nice looking venue!

Thanks for the videos!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 27, 2014, 09:56 AM
Joined Oct 2006
848 Posts
enjoyed that ...thanks...