HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2014, 05:16 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
I now have the hull fiber glassed. After it cured I applied 2 coats of West Systems epoxy and block sanded it. Today I started to install the two stuffing tubes. I made two blocks of wood to hold the prop shafts parallel to the keel while the epoxy cured. Only 2 inches of the stuffing tube is epoxied on the inside of the hull. Once that cures I will seal the outside of the hull so I can finish epoxying the rest of the stuffing tube.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 07:01 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,953 Posts
Super clean work ~

HOT and dry here as well, Very good glassing / painting weather !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 07:49 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,697 Posts
You sure do some nice work Ed. What did you cut the frames with and the use of a steam iron is a super idea. Haven't seen that before and I'll be trying it myself. Still have the Cutty Sark to finish and all my good intentions for this summer have gone to wherever good intentions go.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:57 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Hi Norgale,

I used a small Craftsman scroll saw that I found at a garage sale for $20.00 to cut out the frames. It is small enough to put on a shelf in a cabinet in the garage.

Ed
Old Oct 04, 2014, 11:21 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
691 Posts
I like the idea of jigs to hold the propshafts in alignment. I think I'll steal that trick when I get back to building my "Gort Maru". Really an impressive build so far!!!

Ed...I was going to ask if you were interested in meeting up at the lake on Sunday, but after looking at the weather report, it's probably not a good day. 100+ forecast!!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:55 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
Hi Kevin,

We are having visitors from northern Calif. Maybe next Sunday.

Ed
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:50 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,836 Posts
I spent all day getting the motors installed and aligned. My first effort was to angle a block of wood, but that was to hard to get the compound angles correct. So I came up with two strips of wood with studs epoxied in the wood. I used nuts to adjust for the correct angle then replaced the nuts with small washers. Once the motors were installed I used a brass tube to finish aligning the prop shaft to the motor shaft. I kept tweaking the adjustment until the brass tube would slide back and forth freely. The universal joints will get a piece of rubber tube over it to keep it from vibrating and making noise.

Ed
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:01 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,953 Posts
This is a first ( at least for me ) ........

Super slick idea for eliminating vibration ( and noise ), the reduction in friction would likely increase run time as well..........
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:50 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,116 Posts
Very clever motor mounts Ed.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob