SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:14 PM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophilia View Post
I'm just wondering if you have set your COG at 10mm behind the step as the pic in the manual states?
I'm using a 2200 mah and worked my way from 10mm in front of the step to right at the step. I tried one flight at the recommended CG and didn't like it at all. Much faster take off and easy to hold high alpha but it didn't seem as tail heavy as in the video. Maybe because of the heavier battery and using lower rates.

I'm pretty happy with a CG right at the step.
wilanz is online now Find More Posts by wilanz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2013
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
Anyone figure out which replacement Aileron Servos would work for this model?

I removed it and don't see any markings. The manual says 9g waterproof servos (Yeah Right!...not waterproof enough for me).

I've been looking through the hobby king site trying to find a match and also sent a note to support. I'll try my local shop tomorrow to try and find a match. I better get some spares because I have a feeling this will be an ongoing issue for me with water planes.

I picked up a couple of Park zone SV80s for the ailerons from the local shop. After waiting 28 days for the Skipper I wasn't going to wait another month for replacement servos.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1081

Easy to replace. Only one of them went bad but I replaced the set just in case. There was plenty of water inside under the servos. So better keep the skipper pointing up while it dries.

I did make a video for hobby king support to see. The servo works but only moves in one direction.
Hobby king skipper aileron servo (0 min 47 sec)
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:07 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Probably better to waterproof the servos with something like this:

Rust-Oleum NeverWet tested on R-C equipment to the extreme and more, by NightFlyyer. (11 min 39 sec)

Check around 6:30. Pretty impressive.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:59 PM
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
474 Posts
Made a 6 1/2 x 5 prop today out of an APC 7x5 it now draws 26 amps at 300 watts I will give her a go tomorrow and report back.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Last edited by BPINE; Nov 06, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:45 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTDnogtkPo

Just got around to watching the vid on Rustoleum. Wow! Pretty impressive stuff. I have to pick some of that up.

Thanks for posting
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:22 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTDnogtkPo

A careful check on the product specs reveals a warning that it is NOT for use on electronics. This quick dip and water dropplet demo does not show the long term effects of the product on electronic components and PC boards.

Better stick to CorrosionX.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Nov 07, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:10 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,169 Posts
I just want it for my work boots and things
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2013, 03:55 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
I just want it for my work boots and things
Corrosion X on work boots? Sure would make 'em stink!
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:41 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,169 Posts
So did anyone else try it on 4s yet?

3 days of rain in the forecast.. so no fun for me this weekend
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2013, 01:50 AM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
597 Posts
Seems like tbere are issues runnig 4s. Big rpm with less than perfect balance.....
Load up on 3s 7x4 gas props 26a good allrounder
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
So did anyone else try it on 4s yet?

3 days of rain in the forecast.. so no fun for me this weekend
Why does rain stop you? it's a water plane Seriously though, I use a motor home with an awning when I go flying, the last time I was up at the club field there were quite a few heavy showers. Instead of stopping flying I stood under the awning and sent the Dragonfly/Skipper out there
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:51 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Following one of my world famous stupid pilot tricks my Skipper ended up floating about inverted for a while a couple of days ago. After being rescued, drained and thoroughly checked I set about flying again but all was not right. The rudder servo took on a mind of it's own. Sometimes it would work OK, other times it would slowly offset about 1/3 deflection in one direction while still otherwise responding to rudder inputs. That made for an interesting but safe landing. I don't look forward to replacing that servo. Glad it wasn't the elevator servo, but now I've lost confidence in all of the so-called "waterproof" servos this thing came with. Oh well, I'll fix what's broke and fly 'till it's broke again.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Nov 09, 2013, 02:01 PM
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
474 Posts
Ok guys I am still out at the lake flying but thought I would let you know my cut down 7x5 prop works great. Gets on the step much better and pulls up off the water real nice now.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Last edited by BPINE; Nov 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2013, 04:25 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobidude View Post
Seems like tbere are issues runnig 4s. Big rpm with less than perfect balance.....
Load up on 3s 7x4 gas props 26a good allrounder
huh? Please refer to post 226. No problems what so ever I have the cg set right on the step.

Guys Im putting the stock motor back on till my other stuff arrives. I ordered it 5 days ago and HK still hasnt processed it.

I changed the motor wires for some heavier gauge to handle the new motor. The stock motor is 2100kv if you guys were wondering. I'll post pics later on how I fished the wires threw the vert stab. Have to run. Doing Remembrance day dinner and Im late
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Nov 09, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2013
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
I don't look forward to replacing that servo. Glad it wasn't the elevator servo, but now I've lost confidence in all of the so-called "waterproof" servos this thing came with. Oh well, I'll fix what's broke and fly 'till it's broke again.

Ted
Ted, same here. Since I replaced the aileron servos, I haven't been flying the skipper from water. Wet grass in the mornings before the wind comes up. It flies so nice when there is no wind but that tail wag gets annoying with the slightest of wind even at high speed and with a gyro.

Pls send a note to Hobby King on the waterproof servos. I currently have case open with them and waiting for resolution before i fly from water.