SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:03 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Discussion
First balsa build in 6 Years!!!!!

I be starting my first balsa build in 6years!!!! .Here is a link to the old build.Yes I still haven't finished the plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668398 .I'll be building a couple of Pylon racing planesFirst one is a old Lainer Dominator 500.Someone wish me luck??
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,816 Posts
Good luck

Welcome back to building.

We'll go along for the ride.

I don't think you need luck, but anyway- Good luck
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:24 AM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
I'll start at the beggining.WAYYYYYYYY back when I got the build bug I wanted a nice true building surface.So at the time a company from california was offeringthese nice build boards.I purchased one new and one second hand(VERY LITELY USED).So 1rst pic's are the building board.Next is a picture of the kit that is being built.Ya it's a little boring(I know) but I want to show from the beggining to the final product.Stay tuned!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:15 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,816 Posts
It's not boring at all....We all started with an idea, and end up in different 'places', doing what we enjoy..

Do what makes you happy and tell us about it...You never know what wisdom you can share.

We did club racing in Delaware years (20?) ago.I sponsored an"indy 50",where entrants flew 50 laps, with two 'pit stops', for fuel and a prop change. The times involved were well within the battery capacities of the radios.

And a good time was had by all.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
I be starting my first balsa build in 6years!!!! .Here is a link to the old build.Yes I still haven't finished the plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668398 .I'll be building a couple of Pylon racing planesFirst one is a old Lainer Dominator 500.Someone wish me luck??
stefanP
I hear you!

I get that same feeling every once in a while......... Gosh, just remembered all those Carl Goldberg Piper J3 Cub builds back in the days!

I just printed a plan yesterday at work, for a micro Sopwith balsa and tissue bipe, to use with HH brick.... Now I'm just looking for a small building board to
use today....... It feels like strip to the LHS is on order today!

Good luck with your building, and enjoy!

Aeromechanic
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined May 2006
175 Posts
P.S.

If anyone wants that plan, let me know and I'll post it!

Aeromechanic
aeromechanic1 is offline Find More Posts by aeromechanic1
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:25 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
wing core's,Prepped and Sheeted.

Well this is whats been done so far today.I had on hand a sheet of contest grade 3/32 sheeting for the top of the wing cores.Bottom 1/16 is what came with the kit.I used original Gorilla glue(dark brown in color) for the job.Also buy yourself some throw-away gloves.The glue is diffecult to remove from your skin.I used a piece of thin plywood as a squeegee to spread the glue.Also dampend the wing core with water.This helps the glue react.Take your time to get shucks all line up correctly.It's a pain in the a$& but has to be done this way(for now at least).Lastly ad weight to compress sheeting onto wing cores.Here are the pictures.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:55 AM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
While the wing cores dry I will work on the fuse.Fuse comes in two pieces that get locked together.I used medium Ca. Then I used 5min epoxy to glue on thw 1/32 ply doubler.Kinda looks like a bandaid to cover the mated fuse sections.It also serves as a locator for front formers,landing gear block and wing mounts.Then I laid fuse over plans to line up sides and maintain 2 7/8 fuse with.All parts dry fitted and sand first.Then I epoxied all formers with 15min epoxy.I also instaled triangle stock inside firewall area for added strength.
stefanP
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Sorry for the lack of posting.Let me tell you watch out for these older kits.If I wasen't a gluton for punishment I would have thrown this kit into the FIRE PIT!!! Plywood delaminating, piece of wood twisted(aileron stock).Some times its a fight until the end.I'll post more pictures soon.
stefanP
Last edited by KOMET 44; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: GRAMMER
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:45 AM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Well here are more pictures.Bottom of fuse was "cross grain sheeted".I also added a "Front Spar& "Rear Spar" .As you see I put the spar's in below the wing surface.I then capped them with balsa.I'll be filling in the nooks and crannies with balsa.Then I'll spackel the wing and give it a good sanding.Before I started sheeting the bottom of the fuse I glued on temporary brcing on the top of the fuse.This was to keep the fuse from flexing.More to come
stefanP
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Getting there.Here are a few more pictures.I 'm hoping to cover by the weekend.
sP.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:18 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,572 Posts
She's coming along nicely !
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
Well this is whats been done so far today.I had on hand a sheet of contest grade 3/32 sheeting for the top of the wing cores.Bottom 1/16 is what came with the kit.I used original Gorilla glue(dark brown in color) for the job.Also buy yourself some throw-away gloves.The glue is diffecult to remove from your skin.I used a piece of thin plywood as a squeegee to spread the glue.Also dampend the wing core with water.This helps the glue react.Take your time to get shucks all line up correctly.It's a pain in the a$& but has to be done this way(for now at least).Lastly ad weight to compress sheeting onto wing cores.Here are the pictures.
I've done three foam wings now with polyurethane (Gorilla glue). I'll never go back to epoxy or any other glue for foam wings.

I see you used a spar. I've never used a spar (even in my racing planes) in a foam wing and never had a problem until I did the wing on the CAP in my avatar. I did break that wing, but I've never had a foam wing with the front center cut out for the fuse. The wing broke right at the corner where it comes out of the fuse. The new wing has a spar I made the cutout for the spar in the foam first and sheeted right over the top. I now just have to add glue to the spar and the slot in the wing and slide them together. Your method should work as well.

Scroll down to post #56 for photos of broken wing
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...3/key_/tm.htm#

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
D.G.B.
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Just about ready for covering

Here are some more pictures..Gonna fill in the little impurfections and then sand with some 400gritt paper(or what ever I have close to that) Then the covering.Here is my color scheme so far.Bottom half of the plane will be yellow,including all undersides.Top half to be blue.I hope I will be able to see the plane okay.Any imputs would be welcome.
sP
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,572 Posts
I usually place the lighter colors on top and darker colors on the bottom, with maybe some light colored trim.

The sun will catch the light colors, making visability the greatest. If the sun catches a light colored bottom, you are already in trouble.

You're doing a nice job on your build !
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump