HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2013, 09:46 AM
Canada, AB, Baptiste Lake
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Hope your maiden goes well Mike. I'm hoping to maiden mine next week.

Cheers, Chris
266Chris is offline Find More Posts by 266Chris
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
I have the apprentice and the glasair but the glasair was a complete waste of money becuase it flew almost the exact same as the apprentice but could not do any aerobatics. The training feature is nice for beginners though but i learned off the apprentice without anyone helping me and i have already mastered hovering
lucasisepic is offline Find More Posts by lucasisepic
Old May 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
Are you comparing an electric 15 size apprentice to the Glasair...or did I miss a few posts? I can't imagine comparing the two because the apprentice is a foamy airplane meant as a trainer, while I'm really hoping the Glasair has a bit more aerobatic capability once I throw in the DLE-20 or Zenoah G20.
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
90 Posts
I just bought a (new) airframe with a Zenoah 20cc and all the electronics yesterday. Really looking forward to getting this in the air. I have to cut the cowl a bit though for the carburetor intake manifoil if nobody got a suggestion on how to rotate it 90 degrees towards either the front or the back...

I only have one concern - One of the ailerons kinda "click" when I flip it upwards. It's not that hard that I gotta break it off to flex it up, but it's a very noticable "hump" to get past. Anyone of you experienced that?
bjornal is online now Find More Posts by bjornal
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:34 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
Take an exacto knife and trim the aileron a small amount OR take a heat gun and try to shrink the covering first. This happens when the covering gets loose and causes a small bind.

I have a zenoah g20 that I wanted to use, but I was worried about the extra weight. Did you need to add tail weight?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101 View Post
Take an exacto knife and trim the aileron a small amount OR take a heat gun and try to shrink the covering first. This happens when the covering gets loose and causes a small bind.

I have a zenoah g20 that I wanted to use, but I was worried about the extra weight. Did you need to add tail weight?
I'll try to trim away some of the covering, it feels like it could be that.

As far as the weight, it seems like I'm a tad nose heavy but not by much. I still have batteries and ignition to mount, so I can shift the weight a bit around with the this. Eventually I could swap it for a 20cc DLE, but the reliability of the Zenoah... Fill, flip, fly...
bjornal is online now Find More Posts by bjornal
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:06 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have a dle and two zenoahs. Id really like to use the zenoah, else I'll trade my buddy shooboy and just use a saito 125 fs
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Anyone have theirs up and flying yet? Mine's still in it's box with the gas/elec paralysis of analysis.
bassfisha is offline Find More Posts by bassfisha
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
I'm just now getting back to this plane...unfortunately I sold my Saito 125, DLE-20 and both Zenoah engines, so I'm looking for a power plant. It's going to be a winter plane, hence the purchase of the float set from gravesrc.com but I want to find a quality option for those COLD winter days when the Mrs. actually lets me out of the house for a few hours.

I'm thinking a gas engine would run better in the cold vs. nitro....or maybe even going electric, although I really don't like that idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:03 AM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
For you guys that went with 20cc engines, did you use the stock muffler or go with a pitts or wrap around design? I ended up buying the VVRC 20cc engine and I now have the floats, so I'm ready to start building...just curious if I need something other than the stock muffler.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,436 Posts
I have a Saito but on a gasser typically a wraparound will require less cowl cutting and look and sound better imo.

Fwiw I ran the stock DLE muffler on my A/W Edge and didn't like it as much as the Wrap-Pitts I bought when I switched the engine to the Extra; the exhaust port position looked awful and then that extra hole in the fiberglass.... aaaaargh.

My Glasair is collecting dust big time, all of my planes are! If anyone wants it, or parts lmk. I am willing to "part" with it before it gets 'rashed to trash
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:13 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
To bad you're on the other side of the country, else I'd just buy yours and sell the ARF. :-)

Thanks for the tip on the Pitts wrap around. I found one local and offered the guy $40...it's a JTEC wrap around. If that falls through, I'll just pick up the Pitts wrap around from valuehobby.com for $35. :-)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fidelity101; Dec 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:52 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,436 Posts
Haha! Traveling during the holidays at all?

JTEC rocks, that's what I'm using and love it.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
Go fast, pull up.
Joined Nov 2008
1,742 Posts
I hope the vallleyviewrc 20cc has the same bolt pattern as the DLE-20
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
Just a thought or two...

I'm a little late to this party, I just received my Sportsman last monday (found one online at atlantahobby.com), but looking through the manual several times I have a couple things I'd like to run by everyone.
I'm thinking that the Evolution 20 GX would be a nice engine for the plane. Comes with a wraparound inverted Pitts muffler and since I want to mount the engine inverted, that would be a perfect solution. I think it would look better sticking out the bottom of the cowl a little bit rather than sticking out the side of it. And the convenience of the included ignition that is 2 cell lipo battery ready without a regulator is awesome too!
As for the issue with the floats and the steering mechanism for them, I was thinking of maybe using a flexible cable to run from the existing rear wheel mount down to the water rudder to solve that problem. That way all you have to do is mount the floats and hook up the flexible cable to the tail wheel assembly and you're ready to go. No changing to the bell crank setup.

Has anyone gotten one of the 20cc planes flying yet? Love to hear about it!
Mark C
mxhead69 is offline Find More Posts by mxhead69
Last edited by mxhead69; May 10, 2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Brain fart