HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
109 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Fiber Pushrod Mounting????

Need some advise from the pro's. I purchased these sweet Carbon Fiber in telflon tube pushrods from Kenneny. What is the best connector to mount on the ends for Servo hookup and control horn. Also how does one attached the said connector to the rod? Epoxy, JB weld?

They are going into a 3.5m sailplane.

thanks
Steve in Maine
sunnybreeze is offline Find More Posts by sunnybreeze
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:46 AM
Joined Oct 2010
109 Posts
Guess it would help to insert a Pic!!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:04 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,743 Posts
I use Du Bro threaded couplers. Lightly sand the carbon rod,wearing a dust mask, with 220 sandpaper. Sand the outside of the non threaded part of the coupler. Test fit the coupler on the push rod. with a small piece of masking tape mark the distance the coupler slides on the push rod. I use medium CA, but you can use JB Weld also. If using CA make sure you push the coupler on in one smooth action, you only get one chance! Then run another bead of CA 1 inch long ( 1/2 inch on coupler then 1/2 inch on carbon push rod. slip a piece of 3M heat shrink tubing over and shrink with heat gun. Slip a heat shield under the push rod if doing this in place so as not to heat up something that you didn't want to.

Maybe this picture will help, if not I'll try to get a better one tomorrow with my camera instead of phone

Blue Skies.....................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Oct 2010
109 Posts
tim,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check my hobby shop for dubro threaded couplers
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
You can also crimp the threaded coupler a little with wire cutters. So between that (mechanical) and some CA, they stay on.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:54 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
888 Posts
FYI I did a test years ago on these types of coupler/carbon rod joints. One end was done with CA and the other 5min epoxy. No crimping. The epoxy end failed at around 35kg (75lb) of pull, way overkill.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
After sanding, be sure to clean the rod and connector with alcohol to remove any residue before glueing.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walter View Post
After sanding, be sure to clean the rod and connector with alcohol to remove any residue before glueing.
Ditto to that, and I'd like to add that I take a small dia sewing pin with the sharp point bent over, and run it up and down and all around inside the coupler. This roughens the inside surface to help the adhesive get a better grip.

Edit.... obviously this is for slide-on couplers like would be soldered to metal pushrods. I never tried threaded ones, I thought they would weaken the CF rod....
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
671 Posts
Take a close look at the "rod". Are they actually tubes? Mine are on my Supra Pro. If so I recommend you CA a small length of .030 piano wire inside of the "rod" at the coupler junction. This will prevent crushing of the carbon if you decide to crimp the coupler as Mike suggests.
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark